New Homebridge Plug-in via MakerAPI

I prefer to stay on the bleeding edge of all my home automation and camera systems. I'm running Homebridge UI 4.47 without any issues. If you're having problems you might want to update your Node.js to v16.15.1.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 5.42.59 PM

3 Likes

There seems to be an issue with the oznu homebridge docker image. I removed the startup.sh script from the folder and it started right up. There is some discussion on github about some of the issues.

I really need to NOT be on the bleeding edge of things. it just drives me nuts.

1 Like

How do you update the Nodejs version inside docker? I tried pulling a new latest down and it’s still the old version.

I’m not running HomeBridge inside a docker container so I’m not sure. However, a quick Google search says this command should work:

docker pull node

Anyone running the latest Homebridge Maker API plugin (e.g. This one) with iOS 16 release? I just updated iOS yesterday and my control over dimming of my Insteon lights is now almost non-existent. The Insteon lights are connected to HE with our community driver.

Not blaming the plug-in or anything else for that matter. Just making some inquiries to try to narrow down where the issue is (although iOS 16 is an obvious culprit), and if there’s a known fix.

Homebridge Hubitat v2.0 app with iOS 16 working fine for me. Most dimmers are Lutron.

1 Like

Sure am. And it works fine - Lutron dimmers, LIFX bulbs tested.

1 Like

I just got my Hubitat yesterday and I'm having some difficulty installing the homebridge plugin. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

• I have installed the MakerAPI on my Hubitat
  • I used the terminal on my Mac to install the Homebridge plugin.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like when i run the Homebridge, it is running on my mac and not on the Hubitat. If I close the terminal window or put my laptop to sleep, all of my devices go offline.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

You mean you installed Homebridge on your Mac? If so then that would explain why everything stops working when the Mac goes to sleep.

1 Like

So you’re running HomeBridge on your Mac. It needs to be run on some computer that is always on.

1 Like

Can't I run it on the hubitat?

No.

You will need a computer to run HomeBridge on. In addition, if you want to use the Home app when you are away from your local LAN, you will need a HomeKit hub, like an Apple TV4K or a HomePod.

3 Likes

Gotcha, makes sense. I'm assuming a Raspberry Pi would work for this? Is that the best option, or is there a better one? Obviously don't want to have my work laptop open and home 24/7

That’s what I have it running on. There is a pre-built Homebridge image (Release v1.0.38 · homebridge/homebridge-raspbian-image · GitHub) that simplifies the process if you don’t want to configure the Pi from scratch.

2 Likes

If you already have a Raspberry pi it's pretty much a no brainer to install it on there. If you have to buy one with todays prices for the raspberry pi. I would have to think about it. I paid like $150 for a raspberry pi 4 plus the cost of an ssd and pi4 enclosure that could fit the ssd back in 2020. I think amazon wants 250 or so just for the starter kit today. HOOBS want's $270 for there starter kit but im not sure if they use an sd card, ssd or if the os is on the ram. Do you have a Synology nas? you could run hombride or HOOBS in a docker container. I'm thinking about ditching homebridge/hoobs and installing Home assistant on my pi4 and using the built in HomeKit option in Home assistant. I need to research if I can somehow share Hubitat devices with Home assistants. Maybe homebridge/hoobs can run on a cheaper Raspberry pi and you don't really need a ssd I'm not sure.

2 Likes

Ouch. I bought a couple of pi4s back two years ago and they were way cheaper than that. I had no idea!

1 Like

Pi prices are a casualty of pandemic-associated lockdowns in China.

1 Like

I got my Pi a year ago to the day tomorrow. I just checked and I paid £81 for the Pi4B starter kit. That was the Pi, memory card, case and power supply.

Paid $115 for the whole shebang.

July 2020

3 Likes

Yeah $250 or more for a dedicated Homebridge device. I was going to pick up another pi4 and play with Home Assistant to see what I can use it for that Hubitat can't do, mostly integration. I could run Homebridge on my Nas but 'm not sure if that's the way to go. Will homebrdige run good on a pi 3? I have one laying around. Can I get away with installing HB on an sd card and just make a backup for when the sd goes poof or is the Synology a better option? Could use some advice guys.