New Homebridge Plug-in via MakerAPI

Have you tried the instructions here: homebridge/README.md at latest · homebridge/homebridge · GitHub

1 Like

This is the best how-to article:

2 Likes

That guide pointed to by @dan.t seems most correct. I followed another and ran into problems and ultimately found advice to use --unsafe-perm, which fixed my problem(s). This guide suggests:

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm homebridge

1 Like

Yeah, followed this in that page.

Note: If you're running on a Raspberry Pi, you should have a look at the Wiki.

Hi can anyone tell me how do I go by using the new homebridge with Hubconnect? or point me to the correct thread for that. thanks

Take a look here:

1 Like

There seems to be a typo in your config.json example

the app url on my system needs to be of the format

"app_url": "http://192.168.0.232/apps/api/103/",

1 Like

You might consider including in the caveats that now events from all your devices are "shared" with HomeKit. One advantage of the old homebridge app, it could be argued, was that you would select which devices you wanted to port over to HomeKit. Im not sure how I feel about this yet. Is there any way to filter out only the specific HE devices you want to have on HomeKit? For me its only a couple of virtual presence switches, for example.

Thanks, I corrected it in my post

That is not entirely correct. The homebridge plugin listens to the eventsocket and the homebridge plugin filters out the events that are not meant for devices that are actually configured in the MakerAPI. HomeKit will never see those

Ah right, my bad on that. I do have nearly all my devices enabled in MakerAPI already, for use with node-red and influxdb. Can I run a second instance of MakerAPI with only select devices enabled just for home bridge?

Yes, that is what I do. In the next HE updated you will be able to give more meaning full names to each MakerAPI instance

1 Like

Great work on this Dan...So far so good on my setup. Will report back if I encounter any issues.

Also for others who have an issue with the first caveat, just create a few virtual switches for modes/HSM and setup a few Rule Machine rules until Hubitat updates the MakerAPI to have this capability.

Feature request: It would be great down the road as you improve your plugin to be able to exclude capabilities like the old plugin had. Not a huge deal but would be nice as I have several multi-sensors that I would rather not have all the measurements showing up in Homekit.

1 Like

Great thank you, I will take a look at that post

Have you done any metrics wrt speedup/reliability using the maker version vs tonesto's? Just wondering as I'm on the fence about switching as I'm completely dependent on HB as it is currently implemented.

Either way, thanks for your work and I am closely monitoring this so that I can get off the fence soon.

That was somewhat my motivation behind this. As of late, I had several Hub freezes and needed to restart the hub every other day, this was with tonesto's version installed and running. No measurements of metric's done though

Since changing over to the MakerAPI and HubConnect version I don't see any freezing or slowdowns anymore.

Any major concerns here as to what needs to be available? I use Homekit as my UI and for presence detection (setting a virtual switch on arrival/departure). So far I have not detected any problems in that regard. Or better, my wife hasn't detected any issues so far, keeping WAF high is the goal!

3 Likes

Forgot to ask...can I use my Home App to control devices even when I am away from home (not on local lan or connected via VPN)? I currently am able to do this w/ the tonesto so not sure if there's anything different,,,

YES!! Got it installed, took all damned day, but got there with my QNAP and a docker image. Bit of faffing around, but now I look so super cool speaking to my watch, and things just happen :joy: :joy:

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Same as the tonesto version. As long as you have an Apple TV or iPad in the house that has the remote access enabled. You shouldn't have to change anything.

So I'm having issues with the Home app no longer updating device status after about an hour since starting homebridge. Restarting homebridge fixes it temporarily. Its strange because the home app will still control devices and the logs show activity still but after closing and reopening the home app each device status is 'frozen' in the state that it was in when it stops working. Buttons still work like turning on a light but closing the app and reopening shows it as off when it is still on. Let me know if you need any other info to help diagnose the cause.