New Guy Questions

Can Hubitat be used to unpair devices that were or are connected to a Vera?

Does Hubitat need to be 'close' to a device for pairing or unpairing?

For a dimming switch, is the rate of dimming adjustable?

Is it possible to set a flow or sequential brightening or dimming from three separate dim switches?

Does mixing zwave and zwave plus switches affect the mesh network?

Does anyone know the push sequence on an Intermatic wall switch for it to accept pairing / unpairing commands?

Zooz S2 switches, can these be used in a 2 way or 3 way installation?

Thanks

Yes, Exclude is 'universal' not Hub/vendor specific.

That's more a Device question... Locks might want to be close, but most others should work, Joined in place. If it can't Join/pair in it's final location, it probably won't work well in it's final location.

Again, the limitations, if any, are on the device side. Hubitat allows for a dim duration.

I'm not sure this question tells me enough about the dim switches. For most Z-Devices the Load (light) is wired to one dimmer and thus the dimmer does all the work. 3 and 4 and 5 way are a feature of the device/vendor. Buttons, such as Pico Remotes can be physically anywhere and can be used to dim.

No, they are completely independent meshes that each need to be cared for, and built out robustly.

For the Intermatic switches, check this thread:

For Z-Wave and Z-Wave Plus: Z-Wave Plus is an expansion on the capabilities and is backwards compatible. So a Z-Wave Plus device will work through a Z-Wave device. However, if a Z-Wave Plus connects to (or through) a Z-Wave device, it is limited to the older capabilities (short range, etc...). Z-Wave Plus to Z-Wave Plus is best. In practice, you usually will not see much difference in a mixed environment as they should all work fine.

For the Zooz S2 switches: Yes, they can be used in 3 or 4 way setups according to their site:
http://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zen26-27-light-switches.html

Thanks for helping. Being new on Hubitat, I'm thinking that rules are similar to scenes on Vera. If a rule is made to do three separate actions (the three identical dimmers w same bulbs), can the second and third actions be delayed by 'x' number of seconds to create a sequence? Cn these actions be overlapping or does one need to be complete before the next action begins. Can this be done with rules or would it require a coded function? Thanks

On these there was something like - on three times or three times and hold for pairing or un pairing. The documentation is long gone, can't remember.

I probably have my electrical nomenclature messed up. One Zooz S2 switch can be used for one circuit? No traveler or extra switches.

So zwave and zwave plus must be treated as separate mesh networks regarding switch spacing and signal coverage. Is that correct?

Appreciate the help. I could spend days researching and not get these kinds of answers. I still need to figure out forum posting too as you can probably see.

I completely messed up reading your original question.. very sorry... no, ZWave and ZWave Plus are the same network and you can mix freely. I read your question as ZWave and ZIGBEE.. sorry, again.

1 Like

No worries. Very much appreciate the help. Thanks.

I don't think anyone answered your rule machine question the answer is definitely yes rm can put in delays between actions. This represents a very simple use case for rm. You could also make the length of the waits depend on variables or sensor values. Imo since the release of the changed event there doesnt seem to be anything I could think of doing with devices that is supported by their firmware that can't be done in rm

Thank you PD.

Yes, a single switch controlling a single light or set of lights is what we call a single pole and any Z-Wave wall switch we know of supports this configuration, including all Zooz switches. The 3-way/4-way solution is unique to the Zooz models that's why they're highlighted in product titles and descriptions.

Feel free to reach out to us with any additional questions about the products!

I'm still not sure if I understand fully.. so I'll answer both of my interpretations. :smiley:

ZWave dimmers (and switches) all seem to have the "traveler" connection included. You'd install the ZWave device at the wall location where the Load, Line and Neutral are and it should work as expected. For some vendors, there is a specific Add-On switch needed on the "traveler" wire. GE/Jasco for example have an Add-On that just needs Neutral (and traveler). Inovelli's new devices support existing switches for traveler. Therefore, if your question is about the physical devices, you need to replace all the wall switches with a new collection. Using GE/Jasco again as an example, you'd get one Dimmer and 1 or more Add-On. Inovelli, you'd get just their Dimmer, and reuse your others. (I've never tried a Zooz. :slight_smile: )

If your question is related to programming the Hub... You have so many choices... To the system, you have ONE dimmer.. the Add-On's are not part of it. Physically, yes, logically, no. You can program that dimmer to do just about anything you can think of. You have 3 individual ZWave dimmers and zero Add-On, again, same answer, you can program them to do almost anything you want. Want them to come on in sequence with a delay between each.. easy.

Update: I reviewed Zooz info and they don't need special Add-On switches.. you can reuse your existing "other" switches.