New driver for Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer in ver 2.2.4.148, several bugs

The odd thing is that it only became an issue after the big update (2.2.3?). My Schlage locks also became less reliable at that point and my sirens/chimes are extremely laggy. None of these, including the duplicate entries, were issues before the big update. So frustrating!

Is this a c5? or a c7 that were talking about...

It's a C5

I also have a tonne of z-wave plus switches all throughout the house and my z-wave network wasn't an issue prior to the update. Sirens/chimes sounded almost instantly upon opening a door, schlage locks were 80 % reliable statuses instead of the now rarely showing the proper status.

Ok, most definatly not related to the driver or the platform version.
There haven't been any changes in the c5 zwave code in quite some time, probably close to a year or more.

Interesting. I know I'm not the only one who noticed these issues after 2.2.3. Here's another thread where people were having similar issues. Seems like their issues have improved with updates but not been completely fixed.

I think I may have fixed it. I changed on of the Leviton Dimmers to the Leviton Dimmer driver, hit save device and then configure. I noticed that there weren't multiple log entries when turning the switch on and off. But @mike.maxwell said this shouldn't be a driver issue. So I went into my switches and, without changing the driver, hit save device and then configure. So far, no more duplicate entries from my switches. I did the same for my z-wave sirens and now they are more responsive.

My z-wave network has been historically strong. Something threw everything out of wack at the 2.2.3 update. It seems going in and hitting save device and then configure for all my z-wave switches, dimmers and sirens seems to have solved my issues for whatever reason.

I want to point out that this driver STILL has not been fixed regarding the physical/digital events. The driver displays all events as "physical" no matter if the dimmer is turned on from the physical switch or from an HE dashboard. I have also experienced this issue with both a C4 and C7 hub.

I have brought this up multiple times and considering this a device specific driver, it defeats purpose of the driver.
Because of the incorrect events, this would break any motion lighting apps that rely on physical button presses.

The Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer driver DOES NOT exhibit this issue.

1 Like

Thanks @raidflex for backing me up!

On another note, the multiple events are back:

It seems to be most prevalent when an automation is triggered with a lot of activity. For example, when our house-cleaner uses her code to unlock the front z-wave door lock, the HSM is disarmed, a bunch of z-wave switches turn on through a scene that also disables motion lights for a period of time. Perhaps the z-wave network is just too busy? If that is the case, I'm surprised the z-wave network can't handle this amount of traffic for a simple automation like this.

P.S. You'll also notice that the 'Upstairs Stairway Lights" turning on was a digital on, not a physical on but the log reports Physical.

Just wanted to jump in here since I just installed one of these about an hour ago. In the manual, under "additional supported classes" it indicates several things that don't seem to be covered under the default driver. I'm mostly interested in the scene activation features (multi tap to engage different scenes). If this isn't supported is this something I could possibly do in RM?

Oh and on a related note all events are being shows as "physical" in the log even when I control it through HE dashboard.

I can confirm as well.
I have a Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Plus Dimmer, running on a C7, with 2.2.4.158.
I just turned it on, then off, then on again from the Device Status Page.
That should be recorded as digital.
Here is the log output:

Here is a screen shot of the device page:

Also in the events page:

The physical/digital indicator is incorrect.

Saw this thread after fighting with my DZ6HD - I got fed up with mine. I manually changed the dim level for some reason and forgot about it and after I set it back the way I wanted, I couldn't for the life of me get it to trigger with anything other than actually going to the device in hubitat (which always reported "ON" btw...) - in other words, none of the automation that had once worked, would work anymore.

Anyway, I yanked it and put a Zooz dimmer in there instead. The DZ6HD I think did a better job fading to on than the zooz does, but not worth the headache at this point...

This is the one I replaced it with: Zooz Z-Wave Plus Wall Dimmer Switch ZEN22

Does anyone have the hex firmware file for the latest version (1.20)?

1 Like

Thanks! The problem now is I'm getting insufficient memory error when I try to update. Do you have a workaround?

Is the digital/physical event issue EVER going to be fixed with the Leviton DZ6HD driver? It has been like this for over 9 months if not longer.

1 Like

What is the issue with the driver for the DZ6HD?

It reports what should be digital events as physical events. It should report a physical on if I turn on the switch by pressing on the paddle. It should report digital on if I turn it on by sending a zeave command. Instead, it reports both as physical. I sometimes want to take a different action if someone turns on or off a switch than if an automation does it, and that does not work properly with the built in DZ6HD driver.

1 Like

Just wondering if it really is a driver issue or a device issue.

Well, the reporting works properly using the generic driver. So, I am thinking it is an issue with the driver.