New driver for Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer in ver 2.2.4.148, several bugs

The only way I found to implement the new driver was to exclude each device and re-include them and having to re-write all the rules.
the bugs are:
1- the unit won't turn on by pressing the tile in dashboard, but it will turn it off.
2- the only way to turn it on is to move the dimmer slider up.
3- in the "Devices" the unit will turn ON and OFF instantly but the status does not change unless pressing refresh.
4- in the new preferences, when setting the LED to ON when load is ON, it reverts back to ON when load is OFF ( default value).

Thanks

I can't help you with the functional issues but I have learned a trick for when you have to exclude and reinclude a device.

Very simple, likely others are already doing this.
I go to the RM rule. Add a different dimmer (any dimmer), remove the dimmer with the issue and save the rule.
After the dimmer with the issue is reincluded and checked out I simply reverse the process with the RM rule.
Saves re-entering the rule

I have over a hundred of these devices and am not able to recreate issues 1-3. To me, these indicate a possible Z-Wave network problem.

Issue 4: If I understand your issue correctly, I am not able to recreate it either, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying...

That being said, there is an error in the driver indicator preferences. @mike.maxwell, @bcopeland: The driver default value of "Always On" is in fact not supported by the DZ6HD. The DZ6HD supports the following settings for LED Status (parameter 7):

• 0: Always off
  • 0xFE: Status Mode (indicator on/off state matches the load)
  • 0xFF: Locator Mode (indicator on/off state is the inverse of the load)

The default is 0xFF. Indicator on when the load is off, indicator off when the load is on.

In other words, the default setting known as "Always" should be changed to "When off"

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1910/configs

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

First I presume you are running 2.2.4.148 with the new DZ6HD driver. if so,
In the preferences, the STATUS LED does not have an Alway On, It has, LED OFF, ON when Load is ON and ON when load is OFF. When I set it to ON when load is ON and I save the preferences and I go to the dimmer to test it, the status LED is ON when the load is OFF. Then I go back to preferences, and the parameter reverted back to ON when the load is OFF.

I have several of these dimmers and they all worked fine on the SmartThing hub with the status LED in the ON when load is ON position and all the other preferences.

Ok, I just figured out why it won't turn on in the dashboard, it's a status issue, If I turn it off in the Dashboard, I get an hour glass, and it takes for ever to go away. Meanwhile I can't turn it back on.

At the present time, I only have one dimmer using the new driver code. All my other dimmers work fine with the original driver.
There must be something wrong with that new driver, what else could it be!

Hmm... I'm not sure what to say. You are seeing something completely different that I am. I am using the built-in DZ6HD driver. Are you using the built-in driver? Or something custom? And what are you referring to as "the original driver"? The Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver?

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 17.03.07

1 Like

You are using the old driver. The new one came with the recent update and you can find it in "drivers code".
To use it, you must exclude the dimmer and when you re-include, it will use the new driver.
It has more preferences to it.

The Drivers Code section is for custom drivers that you have loaded. No System drivers are in there. If you click on Type in the Device Information section, you should see that the driver you are using is under "User" rather than "System"

Try switching to the built-in driver by selecting "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer" under "System".

1 Like

Doing a little searching, my guess is that you are using this driver:

The April 25th commit by @bcopeland noted that the driver was "untested" at the time. He became a Hubitat employee shortly thereafter and stopped maintaining his community drivers. I suggest you consider that driver defunct and move to the System driver.

You are absolutely right.
Version 2.2.4.147 indicated that there was a new DZ6HD driver.
Because I didn't see any changes in the preferences I presumed that I had to re-include my dimmers and when I did I got that old driver that I must of installed back when I switched over to Hubitat, looking for the same capabilities that I had with the SmartTings hub.

Sorry for your trouble setting me straight!!

Thank you for your help.
I guess I'll have to wait until Hubitat comes up with a proper driver.

Believe I read that if you have a User Driver and a System Driver that both match the device fingerprint at inclusion, the User Driver will be utilized by default. To override that behavior, after inclusion, youโ€™ll need to manually change to the System Driver on the device page.

I just removed the user driver that was bugged anyway!

I'm not sure what you mean here. Hubitat does have a driver for the DZ6HD, which in my experience works well. The only issue that I know of with it is the default value should be labeled "When off" instead of "Always."

If there is something you think that is missing from the driver, the guys responsible for writing Hubitat's drivers (@mike.maxwell, @bcopeland) are tagged in this thread. They're pretty responsive--let them know what you think.

2 Likes

:eyes::zap:

2 Likes

Yes the driver works well, but here's what's missing in the preferences:

1. Load type ( parameter 8) incandescent, LED or CFL
  2. Locater LED status ( parameter 7) On when load is ON, On when load is OFF or always off.
  3. Preset light level ( parameter 5)

These are the most useful for me but it would be nice if all the available parameters would be included.

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

Because these arenโ€™t parameters that you are likely to change frequently, have you considered using @mike.maxwellโ€™s basic zwave tool driver to set the parameters before switching back to the Leviton driver?

1 Like

No, I think that solution a bit dangerous, and it would not benefit all the users of the Leviton dimmers. Also, the Hubitat driver already has 3 parameters in the preferences, why not just add the others.

1. This can, of course, be set via the paddle on the switch. Given that this is generally an install time item, it doesn't particularly bother me that it's not in the driver. Nice to have, but not critical.
  2. This is already present in the driver. As noted above, one of the 3 settings is named incorrectly, but the capability is there.
  3. This would be a nice add to the driver.
1 Like

I agree, they' re all nice to have!!.

One thing I forgot to mention, and it's another very nice to have, is a that with all the parameters in the preferences, we always know what they are set at.

I guess, after a couple of years with the SmatThings hub and having all of those parameters, I got a little lazy.

1 Like

I have just one of these devices, and on a C7 on .148, it went on the blink and became unresponsive all of a sudden (didn't happen on a prior version of 2.2.4.
Since I just have one of these, I'm going to exclude, re-include, the whole works (without too much of a hassle because it's just one device).
However, I strongly suggest that @bcopeland investigate "what's so special about this device?"
PS: (before)

If I had to take a guess, I'd make the supposition that moving to a different driver (from built in Generic Zwave Dimmer to built in Leviton DZ6HD dimmer driver) was the culprit.
For my one device - that's not a big deal. Unfortunately, I have a client with over 50 of them.
I'm not upgrading him until I'm good and ready.