New device not showing up in dashboard list

This topic was covered in a previous thread, now closed, here:
New device missing from device list in dashboard - :clapper: Get Started - Hubitat
The answer provided was that, after I had added the device, I had not done the additional step of going into the Dashboard app to explicitly add the new device to the list of available devices for my dashboard. Indeed, I had not.
But I have to ask: why would I ever want a new device to not be automatically available for my dashboards, as the default. I know you sophisticated users out there might sniff at the question, but this is an obvious trap for a newbie, and traps for newbies do not serve anyone's interests well. At the least, the option to include or exclude the device from the dashboard-available list should be asked as a new device is being added.

2 Likes

Because you can have multiple dashboards that each use different devices. Adding devices to a dashboard, that aren't used in that dashboard, slows down the performance of that dashboard.

3 Likes

I would agree as far as stating that it is weird that you have to go through the process of adding the device to a dashboard list before even being able to add it to the dashboard. That adds unnecassary complications as far as i am concerned.

Having the option to create multiple dashboards for different uses it makes sense as @jkudave mentions not to automatically add every device to every dashboard.

3 Likes

There is also a security element to it. You get access to device attributes and events, which may be considered sensitive information in certain situations or for certain devices. As much as I would also like the convenience, I can see why it is necessary.

4 Likes

That's the dream. :wink:

1 Like

With many hubs (my experience specifically was Wink) you cannot exclude or choose what to show on a dashboard.

• You may want to use a virtual device to do an automation, but there is no reason to display that. It is just clutter or completely unnecessary.
  • You have a multi-sensor that you use only for motion, but don't care about things like lux. You aren't forced to display all those extra attributes.
  • Sensitive information is also a reason you may not want everyone to know what others are doing, especially in a short-term (air BNB type) rental situation where you might give app access for locks etc to strangers.
  • It could be as simple as who in the household is able to control certain devices (kids or elderly). The kid turns the heat on to 85 degrees as a joke, or someone turns off the furnace in the middle of winter by accident.

Either way, there are choices. With choices it adds some amount of complexity. It might be nice if there was a "wizard" that asked upon pairing what you want to do with that device, but that surely adds a significant amount of coding and complexity.

There have been many significant improvements to the hub and the UI, especially in the past couple years. But with a small team certain things are a higher priority than others. For good or for bad, having the hub ask you about your device, and automatically adding it to a dashboard haven't been the top priority.

1 Like

Thank you all for your insights and perspectives. I figured there must be valid circumstances where the as-is is the right answer. I hope you all realize I brought the subject up in the spirit of making the Hubitat a better experience for everyone, as I believe that makes Hubitat a more competitive product. The trade is between a pitfall for a newbie trying to make their first dashboard, vs. a complication for a sophisticated user making multiple dashboards or addressing security concerns. As Ranchitat said above, the dream is to make it easy for both types of users.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.