New C-7 Z-Wave Commands - What do they do?

I really love all the new Z-Wave options available with the C-7 hub, but it's not always clear what each of them do. Any chance someone could clarify them?

I'll start with what I think they mean...

OK : All is good. Nothing to worry about
FAILED: The node cannot be reached
NOT_RESPONDING: Not sure how this is different from FAILED...?

image : Press to update the device's status - To be sure it is really OK, or to find/fixed a Failed node.
image : Press to update the device's route to the Hub
image : Press to remove a Failed device. Usually needs to be done multiple times before it works.
image : I would think that this puts the Z-Wave in Discovery mode and if a device is found, it assigns the current node to it... But I tried this and it didn't seem to work...
image : I would think that it would put the Z-Wave in Discovery mode and if a device is found it assigns the current node to it... But I tried this a few times, and it did nothing...

2 Likes

Some of this was brought up recently.

This is a comprehensive document that was required for certification:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave_Manual

4 Likes

This is awesome! Some great reading! I learned a bunch of things that I didn't know.

Did I correctly understand that you can pair a Hubitat hub as a secondary controller? If I understand how this works, couldn't you have several controllers and they would all see and control the same list of devices? I use to do this between two older Z-Wave hubs that I had a while back and it worked well enough, though they were not always fully in synch...

There would probably be some problems doing this from a C-7 to a C-5 though, since the C-5 can't do S2... Right?

1 Like

All certified hubs must be able to join the Z-Wave network as a secondary controller and receive network information from the primary controller. This is required.

2 Likes

Didn't know that the hub could do this. How would you put the HE hub in pairing mode to pair w/another hub?

Right? Me either! I think this is something a lot of us could use... I wonder though what it would do if one setup a C-5 as a secondary master to a C-7... Would S2 devices work... on the C-5?

The instructions are in here:

1. Start by enabling Z-Wave Inclusion to add devices to the network of the Z-Wave primary controller.
  2. Using the Hubitat Elevation® mobile app, navigate to the Settings and press the Z-Wave Options button.

Z-Wave S2 mobile settings.png

1. Tap the Learn Mode button, then Start Learn Mode .
    Z-Wave S2 mobile Learn Mode option.png

Z-Wave S2 mobile Start Learn Mode v2.png

NOTE: If the hub has any nodes joined to it, then it cannot receive network information from the primary controller. To allow the hub to join as a secondary controller, you must first exclude all joined Z-Wave devices.

Learn Mode error - Controller is SIS.png

1. The primary controller should indicate a device has joined its Z-Wave network.
  2. When successfully added, network information from the primary controller will be replicated on the Hubitat Elevation® hub.