NEW: Built-in OTA Z-Wave device firmware updates

That is a ghost node (unsuccessful pairing, no in, out clusters) and must be deleted. It will mess up your mesh until it is gone. You will not be able to delete it as long as the hub can ping it, which means you need to remove power to the device. Then, hit refresh and repair a few times for that device until remove button appears. Then you should be able to remove it.

Then, shutdown your hub cleanly (settings, shutdown) to red light, power off at the wall plug (not micro USB, which is fragile and can break the solder joints to the PC board), leave power off for 30 seconds, power up again, boot to green light. This is the only way to reboot the Z-Wave radio, which stays powered if power is applied to the hub.

Now try again to pair the device.

3 Likes

With Zooz switches, after the FW update is complete you should do a factory reset on the switch ...

Tap-tap-tap&hold for 10 seconds on the upper paddle. Hold it until the blue light flashes briefly. This clears any pairing info in the switch so you don’t need to go through the exclude process.

Then in HE, remove the device, the force remove. This will remove the device without creating a ghost node.

Then re-include. Easy Peasy 100% repeatable.

But as @672southmain has stated, you must take care of your new ghost node first.

Edit: another method that is on the lazier side that I confess I like to do. After performing the reset on the switch, kill power to the switch and hit repair in the zwave details page until it pops up as failed, then use the replace feature and re-include it. It means it retains the same DNI and you don’t have to edit any rules.

6 Likes

They really need to get away from this.. I bought my zooz stuff on Amazon, and can't remember when to go back and look for the invoices. The running joke in our house is every time we see an Amazon plane fly over (about 10 times a day) its my wife's next order coming in.

3 Likes

You can look in your account on Amazon and see all your past orders, by year.

3 Likes

But it’s still a PIA.

Nice thing is your support tickets stay there so you can make reference to an old ticket with the invoice data.

3 Likes

It's more a matter of going through all of it. like I alluded to. plane loads!! Plus I don't remember what year I bought them, 16, 17, or 18ish. It's still a bad policy. So if someone buys a zooz product second hand, say from here in the group, they can't get the firmware updates because they don't have the invoice? If all they have to do is tell Zooz "I bought it from Joe blow" and they provide the firmware update, then why even have such a labor intensive process to begin with?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: But it’s better than GE/Jasco, Schlage, or any of the others that won’t release firmware updates even when the Z-Wave certification features sheet says “customer OTA firmware updatable.”

3 Likes

It's a requirement that you be able to OTA.. It's not a requirement that you give out firmware..

7 Likes

Somewhere there is a lawyer laughing his *** off...

8 Likes

:no_mouth:

I asked why they go through checking the invoice number.
They say there are some older versions of firmware that require updating through a sequence of firmware versions to reach current level, vs just blowing in the latest code.
Made sense to me. So I started keeping an inventory log.
But yours is a totally fair criticism of the process.

1 Like

I've heard that and also that some of their products are/were rebrands so they want to make sure the updates are not being used for non Zooz products. I know this was true (rebrand) of the original (discontinued) smart outlet but maybe it's changed with their newer stuff.

it's kind of annoying but as has been said they are very helpful and responsive so it's just an additional step.

3 Likes

Invoice might tell which version of firmware when it's sold, but it doesn't tell which firmware it's currently on.

Below is what I got from their support asking why invoice is needed

There are many similar products on the market and more companies (primarily Chinese) have been flooding Amazon with devices that are named similar to ours and look very similar.

Have been looking around Aliexpress, ebay... for cheap z-wave devices, the only thing that resembles Zooz products is Jasco's wall switch. So, I think they overestimated themselves.

I can only think of they want people buy new from them, rather than used. However, if people couldn't update firmware and got issue with firmware bugs, it just ruins their reputation.

I do appreciate their quick response to firmware request, but it's a total hassle to ask and their release pages don't even have the latest firmware listed. So, unless you make a request, you don't know there is a newer version.

When Monoprice sold zwave products, some of them were the identical hardware to Zooz products. I’m sure Zooz wasn’t too keen on their firmware being flashed on cheaper Monoprice products.

6 Likes

I haven't yet tested firmware updater and I'm wondering does this mean that I need to pari device again after update?

So.. is it possible to update without pairing again?

Not sure what device you are referring to?

Most devices do not need to be removed from the hub and included again. Zooz devices often, but not always, need to be re-included.

1 Like

I mean device usually. All my devices are z-wave devices from different vendors. I was just thinking that is it easily doable or should I just forget whole thing if devices need to be paired again. There would go my automations and all that stuff.

Truth is, as @neonturbo said, it varies by device. My practice has been:

1. Replace the device in all rules/automations with a "placeholder virtual device"
  2. Perform the update. If the device works and is still paired to the hub, then I reverse the changes in step 1.
  3. Otherwise, I exclude the device, re-include it, and then reverse the changes in step 1.
8 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing. Has anyone been able to come up with some sort of "find and replace" method to keep all tied automations in place after the exclude and re-include process.

Most of my devices are zooz so is have to rebuild 80% of my entire ecosystem if I did this