[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Has anyone had any luck updating the firmware on a Leviton DZ6HD? My firmware number is 1.17. After some time, the device show it's always on, even if it's physically off. Only way to fix it is to reset the power.

When I try to update the firmware I get "Failed to find matching firmware".

Thanks in advance.

I have updated them using a USB stick and Z-flash from HomeSeer as well as PC Controller.

I used Homeseer Z-flash as well to update Leviton as well.
All my switches are now at 1.20

Far as I can tell Leviton does not have any updates for the outlet. They all seem to be at 0.5

I tried to use the Hubitat firmware updater and the hex file from @bcopeland github, and I keep getting "Failed to find matching firmware".

I have successfully updated my Inovelli switches and Zooz switches from Hubitat.

So just try to update my zooz switches for the first time using this tool. I started with one of my switches, zooz26, to test the tool. Everything went well with the update and it was completed successful but the hub was not reporting the new firmware even after I restarted the hub. I found a discussion where a exclusion and inclusion is mentioned to be necessary for zoon switches after any firmware update (not sure if still necessary with this new tool), so I did the exclusion, but my hub just reported "unknown device excluded" but device was still present on my devices list and on the zwave details page but not responding at all anymore. I forced delete it from the devices page but on the zwave detail I still see this.

I tried repairing, refreshing and nothing. I included again and the switch is working fine now and hub is showing the new firmware but I still have this on my zwave details page. Is there any way to fix this, deleted for good so it wont show this when the switch has been included again and is a different node now. Now I am not sure about to continue updating the rest of my zooz switches. I will appreciate any help. thanks.

See my reply to your double posting.

1 Like

thanks for the information and sorry for the double posting. I posted it in the other discussion and latter noticed this was more active but didnt delete the other post.

I was able to remove the ghost device after updated my zooz zen26 and they are reporting the new firmware. Now I tried to update my zen22 switches but it is taking around 16 hours each, have updated one so far, while my zen26 only took like 30 minutes. I read some took the hub closer but I ddidnt think this would be necessary because my zen22 is just next to my zen26, literally, they are next to each other so why would the zen26 update in 30 min and the zen22 takes around 16 hours. Already restarted the hub and updating the second zen22 and it is taking exactly the same time as the zen22 that was already update, it has been 8 hours and it show 52% complete.

Is the ZEN22 paired with any security level? I’ve found that greatly lengthens the update time, compared to a device that is paired with no security.

1 Like

yes, they are paired with S2 Unauthenticated but so my zen26 and they were updated in around 30 minutes and they are side by side my zen26 and zen22, so distance to the hub shouldn't be a difference.

Ok, only reason I asked is that Bryan Copeland ((who wrote the updater) recently remarked that he had to split up the OTA firmware blocks if they were being sent to a securely-paired device.

Hi, I've got a Hubitat C-5 and a lot of Leviton devices which I'd like to update with this process that was shown to me in a separate thread. But I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed. First, where do I get the update file from, and second, when I follow the instructions you gave, I don't see a device driver option for "Z-Wave Firmware Updater." How do I get that, or is that what installing the driver is supposed to do?

I have Leviton DZ15S-1BZ smart switch, Leviton DZS15-1LZ smart switch, Leviton VRF01-1LZ Vizia fan controller, and Leviton DZPA1-2BW smart plug. I tried to contact Leviton technical support directly about this, and they promised to get back to me but never did.

On the C-5, you need to install the community firmware updater app. The link is at the top of the thread; or use the Hubitat Package Manager application.

Unfortunately, you can only get firmware images from the device manufacturer. I don't know about Leviton, but many manufacturers do not give out firmware at all. Some will, if you contact their support with a particular issue, and have proof of purchase. Some, like Inovelli, publish them on their support site.

Thanks. Leviton Tech support did finally get back to me after you responded. They said they were going to send me a Z-stick with the firmware. So... I assume this is something that will have what I need to upgrade the firmware? Assuming it does not work, I understand from your response that I must:

1. Install the community firmware updated app and
  2. get the firmware for the App to work on

If it comes down to this, is anyone aware of way the Leviton firmware from the internet or some other source?

So I have the firmware, and now I have a Z-stick with which to install it.

Now my question - is it necessary to exclude each device to update the firmware and then include it again?

Same question if I were to use this community based, Hubitat App to update the firmware.

Sometimes.

Sometimes. Now, some of the Zooz devices are an exception because their firmware updates often do more than just provide a new version of the firmware, and instead provide additional capability, perhaps making it a slightly different device. Such devices require the exclude/reset/include on the tail end, after the update, so that the “new” device is recognized correctly. I went through this on my ZEN16.

@bcopeland, will the Z-wave firmware updater work if the firmware update files on are on a local drive?

I got the Leviton drivers, and I imported your code into Hubitat and am now seeing the Z-wave firmware updater, but when I click on the update firmware button it looks like it is asking for a URL.

Yes, the community version expects a URL (web hosted file).. But the built-in supports firmware uploading from your computer..

I have a C-5, so I guess mine doesn't have the built-in version, right?

What I imported was the code from GitHub in the link you provided - I assume that is what you are referring to as the community version, right?

Right.

There are two versions of the updater. The first (original) version works on some types of firmware files, but has bugs on some types, and the second version works on the other types. See my post upthread for a discussion and links.