New Aqara Zigbee 3.0 occupancy sensor (FP1) looks interesting

Not certified but they are still willing to ship here.

I've had one device "fail" - become non-responsive (not pair etc) but the other two paired and are working fine. I still have one in a box. Am tempted to buy more but will hold off until I see how the others hold up over time.

1 Like

I have had 3 of these for a while now, so far so good although one of them seems to be acting up, sometimes gets stuck on present and never changes.

1 Like

Try moving it to new location atleast 3 feet away from the old location or any electronics.
I had another one of mine do the same but I was dumb and had it sitting on top on my echo stereo speaker.
Moved it 3 feet away and repaired it and it has been fine.

2 Likes

AliExpress has it shipping from US. Seems it needs to work best with PIP motion. If this is the case just use Alexa for presences with pip sensor.

" It is important to use in combination with PIR sensor, because. There is a delay for 2-3 seconds of presence determination. After the definition, it holds very precisely. By PIR sensor"

Principally, you don't need any additional PIR sensors with Aqara FP1. It is activated in less than a second when the initial motion is detected.

However, actually I use additional PIR sensors in combination with FP1. The Aqara presence sensor is aimed toward the place in the room where a person usually stays still for a long period of time, while the PIR motion sensors are aimed at the room entry area or at spots that are not covered by the FP1. The second reason to use the additional PIR sensors is because I already have them.. : )

4 Likes

For those on the fence, Aliexpress is having an "11.11 sale", and these are currently $43.27 at the first link, and $43.12 at the second link, or $43.56 in the following link, all with free shipping.

https://mijiaonline.aliexpress.com/store/1101441185/pages/promotion-20221111.html

Update: there is also an extra "US $3 off every US $30 spent" (maximum discount is $9), making these $40.xx each.

If you buy 4, there is a coupon code "US15" for $15 off a $150 order, making them $37.50 each.

7 Likes

I have 4 Aliexpress links for this, 3 to the seller MIJIA-GLOBAL, and I don't know what's different about them except for small variance in the price.

The cart page listed these additional codes:

Sale ends in: 02d 17:14:23
Promo codes:US8 (US$8 off on orders +$80) / US20 (US$20 off on orders +$180) / US40 (US$40 off on orders +$350)

So the US8 code works well to buy 2 at an average cost of $37.12 + tax.

(I always wonder about Aliexpress collecting sales tax... they collect it, but do they actually pay it to my state?)

Hi I'm having the same issue - paired the FP1 to HE but it won't respond to any motion.
What exactly did you do to get it working? What do you mean by "Repairing it without first removing it where it found an existing device"?

Hi @tonysunshine ,

You need to pair the FP1 to HE at least 2 times. The first Zigbee pairing usually doesn't work.
The second important detail is to pair it really close to the hub, from a distance less than 1 meter (this depends on how many Zigbee devices you have in your mesh and how much chatty they are).

Once the sensor starts working as expected when operated close to HE hub, you can move it to its final destination. The new Aqara devices are not 'sticky' as the previous generation, they will pick up a repeating device if needed later.

1 Like

@kkossev Thanks for the tips. I tinkered with it some more and got it working now!
Paired it the first time, then without removing the device, put the FP1 back in pairing mode, and tried to add another zigbee device to HE - came up as an existing device and now the FP1 is working. powerSource state changed from "?" to "dc".

One thing for me - for the first pairing, HE would only fully initialize the FP1 after shutting down the HE C7 hub for 3 minutes. Thats the trick that got me past the first pairing.

1 Like

I believe the issue is there is some device initialization that happens during pairing that is not occuring when you hit configure. It seems to only work correctly when it pairs with the correct driver. So once you change the device driver it re-uses that driver on subsequent pairings and then works.

1 Like

Obviously Aqara FP2 was introduced now:

1 Like

It's a WiFi device... Hopefully, with Matter coming around the corner...

3 Likes

I feel like I'm losing my mind... I've tried re-pairing a dozen times, but since I have to delete the device and re-pair, it doesn't recognize the driver. Is there some method of re-triggering the pairing process on the sensor itself? I didn't see a button. Cycling power didn't seem to work either.

There's a button on the back behind the mount.

Thanks man, I couldn't get a hold of any user manual.

1 Like

Yeah I'm a dummy -- I didn't even try pulling on the unit. I didn't realize it had a stand built in. There's not a tiny hold underneath, but there's a button and LED. I wouldn't try sticking a pin in that hole.

Press and hold the button for about 5 seconds to re-pair.

1 Like

Man this works so well that I'm considering cancelling my QTY10 order for the EP1. I'd rather not use WiFi anyhow. Is there any benefit on having the Bluetooth stuff? At first I thought it was capable of doing indoor positioning via beacon or something, but I think it's just a Bluetooth proxy for less than smart devices.

Yep, I realized my mistake yesterday and edited my response.