New Aqara T1-series Zigbee 3.0 devices finally available

Which modules are you using? I've got a couple of them (one with rear shielding) that are yet to be built up.

Hmmm, the DIY sensor sounds better. At $108 CAD, the T1 is not something I would consider. And I’m still unsure about mm wave in my home at all.

1 Like

Can you share some links for the modules you bought?

1 Like

This the one I'm probably going to end up using. It is rear shielded (as the mm wave emitters are omnidirectional)

1 Like

I only have 24ghz sensors right now (the dfrobot ones like in the video), but also have a few 60ghz on backorder (the seeduino ones). Hopefully will get them sometime this summer.

You can do a bit more with the 60ghz, but 24ghz works quite well if all you are looking for is occupancy. Once you adjust a few of the tuning values on the sensor from the defaults, it works pretty well. The only thing I don't like/found surprising about 24ghz sensors is that placement is tiny bit touchy, as it can penetrate through walls if you point it directly at them. I would expect 60ghz to not make it through the wall, being a much higher frequency.

If you want to try and determine things like # of people in room, heatbeat, etc, then 60ghz is likely going to be more successful. No argument there.

dfrobot SEN0395

2 Likes

Please keep us posted how your experience goes with the 24GHz module. I am worried that it might pick up movement of inanimate objects as well, which will mess up presence based automation

Strange, I live in Europe and was able to order a FP1 sensor and had no problem.

Obviously, it all depends on the particular AliExpress seller... I was also able to find a FP1 offer today:

This seller has decided to simply put a warning:

Kindly Notice Before Order:

1.This is Chinese version, when you connect with APP, you need change the region to China Mainland.
2 The product need connect with Aqara hub, otherwise it's not working.
3. Work with Apple HomeKit/Aqara home APP, not work with Mijia APP.

Are you using your FP1 sensor with Aqara hub or directly with Zigbee2MQTT ?

Well I have to get it first :slight_smile:
But i'll use it with MQTT in HA until there wil be a HE driver.

3 Likes

Just picked up a P1 motion today from amazon. Anyone know of a hubitat driver yet?

I just included the unit I purchased and it's so annoying, these guys still refuse to implement their devices like everyone else on the planet.
Zigbee 3.0 certified my ■■■...
They are still using custom clusters for sensor data.
I'm so done with Aquara (and Tuya as well)...

And just try getting the battery out of this thing without destroying it..., pure junk in my opinion...

5 Likes

oh thats too bad, I guess maybe I will return it. I have nothing but good luck with the previous generation Aqara

It is a pity we cannot find a way around. Here in Europe 80% of the devices fully compatible with HE are not available.

But Aqara / Xiaomi are, and the HA tribe always finds the way to make them work.

I am an absolute ignorant, but couldn’t a partially compliant driver work for those that are willing to accept the shortcomings?

4 Likes

Really anyone COULD make a driver for this. All they need to do is find, or figure out through trial and error, what the custom clusters mean/are for.

As long as it pairs to the hub, pretty much everything else after can be done by end users, if someone is willing to do so.

Now, if no one wants to take the time and effort to do so.... Well... That is what it ism as they say.

Just my opinion - If I really wanted to use Aqara devices, which I don't, I would just put them on zigbee2mqtt and then bring them back into the hub I prefer - Hubitat, et al.

As another thought.... If it works with zigbee2mqtt (which I think it does), someone could probably go look in there and find the cluster definitions in the source files. I'm not doing it, but if someone had the time to do so, that may be a shortcut vs trial and error.

EDIT: Here, now some end user can go make a driver for it if they want.

5 Likes

That's what I do with my Aqara devices.

3 Likes

This is the only way anyone should bother with them in my opinion. I have a P1 on z2m and it works fine. @mike.maxwell Fish that puppy out of the trash and send it up to the island. I'll use another :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately we in the ROW don't have the breadth of devices available in the US. Hence solutions like Z2M, Phoscon, ZHA are pretty important for us to make use of sensors etc which are available (and much cheaper than the equivalent US Z wave and zigbee stuff).

3 Likes

Also, in my opinion, there is no single hub that covers all exigencies. So I pair my devices to the controller that works best with any particular device, and just import it back into Hubitat.

In many instances, this allows me to bring back only the capabilities/attributes that I need.

5 Likes

That's really disappointing, I'd consider this the first truly new device class to come along in a while. It solves an issue currently addressed with kludges and band-aids.

1 Like