[NEW APP] Room Lighting

@bravenel this seems odd.

I removed all means to disable (because I’m trying to figure something else out) which then removed the means to re-enable. The odd part is when I go back to the main “Means to turn off lights” screen, the means to re-enable are still showing.

I know I can just go in and add back the means to disable and then remove the means to reenable, then go back and remove the means to disable again but, well you saw many words I just wrote :sweat_smile:.

Also, not sure if this would cause any unexpected behavior since these two items are symbiotic - more in a 1’s and 0’s sort of way…

@bravenel sorry to double post but I can’t seem to figure this out.

The issue I'd like to solve is how to effectively "snap" the room lighting back to a normal state from color scenes being used outside of RL.

Screenshots - happy to add more upon request

Overall settings:

Logs:

A push of button 4 on the hue dimmer triggers a button rule to cycle through the most bodacious color scenes I can dream up on hue labs.

• and button 4 is also set as a means to disable and re-enable the RL app.

That being said, my affinity towards the more eccentric lighting scenes is eclipsed by my adversity to my wife coming down and asking me why I’m having a solo-rave by myself in the den!

I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING! :raised_hands:

saturday night live 90s GIF

So, I’d like to make the lights go back to normal – hence the normal tag on my RL title - when wifey comes downstairs.

While button 4 is set to disable activation and off - button 1 is set as a “Means to activate.” This seems like it should do the trick, and just snap the light-show back to boring old CT lighting, but NO! The lights turn off completely!

When I push button 1 again after confirming that the app is no longer disabled, the lights come on for about 1 second and turn back off. see logs and settings in the green plus thingy above

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for any advice!

Hello
I managed to get it work in my bedroom with simple on/off after no movement etc
Can I ask please on how to make it a bit more advanced (if possible) ?
I mean to change the colour and the luminance according to the time of day /night
To bypass the rule if is sunny outside and windows open etc
Thanks

2 posts were split to a new topic: Room Lighting Issues

Am I misunderstanding how this should work or have I encountered a bug? Nothing in the logs even referenced the contact sensor being closed (or open) when the light was shutting off because the motion sensor had timed out.

This room lighting instance turns on/off with motion.

I would like the the light to not turn off if the contact sensor on the door is closed and resume functioning when the door is opened. This isn't working. Even with the door closed, the light kept turning off while I was in the shower last night. I enter the bathroom, motion turns on light, I close the door, light never turns off. Isn't this how it should work?

Thanks

It would be helpful if you would post the logs from the app. It's hard to know what's going on without them.

They are already gone. I changed the rule with a workaround already but will put it back and post some logs a little later.

Thanks

1 Like

That's OK. There is a bug with contact closed. Will get this fixed for the next release. There are some work-arounds possible using a helper Rule, so that Room Lights is looking at something other than a contact being closed to be disabled or limited.

1 Like

My workaround used a helper with a virtual Switch. I'll continue with that until the next release.

My lighting is overly complex (needed to keep WAF high) and using this new app, and a few additional modes, I was able to remove over 50 rules and 30 virtual switches and replace them with just 16 room lighting rules. Also, the lighting has been extremely stable with no glitches due to timing and rule interplay.

Thanks for a great app!

3 Likes

@bravenel

You may already know this but "switch" does not appear to be working for "disabled" either. Switch On=disabled, Switch Off=resume. Same results as contact.

I had been using the limited option as my workaround but thought I would try using disabled with a switch.

I "disables" it as expected, but the app still activates. It does work. At least for Disable Off:

Then turning the switch off again allows it to Turn Off.

Look at your Event Subscriptions, and look at the logs....

1 Like

I watched the logs and, as with the contact, it never mentioned that there was even a switch in play. Unlike what I see in your logs

I'll have to look at it again later and look at the subscriptions. Since it's working for you, it's obviously something messed up with my rule. Maybe because it's a clone of a rule that was imported from motion lighting? No big deal. I have things working but thought I would mention what I noticed.

Thanks, Bruce

No, this wouldn't cause a problem. Is the app Paused (import leaves it paused)? Did you hit Update or Done? You need to check the subscriptions.

I'm positive I hit update/done but I've been positive before........:thinking:

I'll make the changes to the rule after dinner and test again. I'll make sure to look at the subscriptions. I have it working another way but want to figure out why I'm not seeing the same results you are.

Thanks

What hub build are you on? I've tested on 2.3.2.141 and 2.3.3.114 (beta).

I'm on 2.141 (latest non beta).

I created a new simple rule with motion and a disable switch. It worked just like yours. So the app is working correctly.

After dinner I'll go back in and modify the actual rule. I either forgot to hit update/done or have a corrupt rule.

Thanks for checking on your end. I'm sure you had better things to do on a Saturday.

This one is my fault. I would have bet money (and lost) that I had pressed update/done. I know I need to do that. The switch portion of disabled is working as it should.

Sorry for wasting your time..

No problem. You found that other bug, for which I'm grateful... That one will be fixed in 2.3.3, now in beta.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: SmartLife Integration

Sorry if I missed this but does anyone know if there is a way to have a room lighting automation only run for certain times of the year? I have some color bulbs in my outside lights that I thought could be fun to automate for different holidays. Any help would be great.