[NEW APP] Room Lighting

We call this fade or grace. You have two timers. After detectors go inactive it goes to a level then holds there for X time then after X it turns off.

You can also do transition time so inactive lights "fade" to 10% over 1 min then hold there for 5 mins before turning off.

I would love to see this, it is the only significant feature that is missing in all the built-in lighting apps.

I do think a simple timer like you describe would be great. For non-dimmable lights, maybe blink once or something before turning off.

Dim before off gives the user a chance to re-trigger the automation before you are suddenly sitting in the dark. Besides that functionality improvement, I think it just looks cool to have the lights go dim for a few seconds, then go out.

2 Likes

I wonder if this could be done with a variant of the Preset Off feature, where it adds a time element. The RL instance would already go back to the initial table settings if a new Activation event comes along. The Preset Off is where it goes when Turning Off. But, by adding a time element, that becomes temporary settings before full off.

4 Likes

Yeah this would do the job👍🏻

1 Like

@BorrisTheCat

This will be in the 125 release. Already you could to a Transition to off over some time, where it gradually lowers the lights before finally turning them off.

With this new feature, you will have the step to lower settings for x seconds, then off. You can also combine the two: run a Transition to lower level settings, then turn off after a grace period.

8 Likes

I have converted several MML rules to RL. I noticed these errors on them when enabling/disabling Enable Logging. You can see the first two are one rule, turning it off then on. Next two are a second rule enabling/disabling Logging, and the final two are a third rule, enabling/disabling. I assume this is not normal?

Yes, known problem. When the next hot fix comes out, probably tomorrow, open each of those and hit Done. This particular error has minimal impact, and the app should work for you.

3 Likes

I've created 2 RL instances so far.
When I'm trying to push the button that is supposed to turn the lights off, they don't and an error is being logged:

This is my RL setup:

Thanks!

Could you please show me the Application State from the App Status page (gear icon).

Also, could you tell me what device is 2762. You can find this by going to

[hub-ip-address]/device/edit/2762

I assume that is Kitchen Hue Dimmer, right? If so, just need to see Application State.

Sure! This is the Application State in 3 parts:

Yes, device 2762 is indeed Kitchen Hue Dimmer (using system Hue Dimmer V2 driver).

Thanks, I think I've found the problem.

1 Like

I think you can get this to work now if you go in to Means to Turn Off, and remove the selection for "Buttons are pressed", then Done back to main page. Hit Update. Then go back into Means to Turn Off and setup your buttons again. When done with that hit Update or Done on the main page. Let me know if that fixes it.

The next release will prevent this problem from coming up in the first place.

2 Likes

It didn't fix (same error) :cry:
I'll wait for the update...

You may need to remove this instance and re-create it after update. Release 2.3.2.125 is now available.

1 Like

Updated, re-created the instance and it works great! :+1:

One thing I'm not sure about is if the level in the actuator device reflects the real level of all bulbs - my instance is setting all bulbs to 60, but the device reported 100 until I manually entered "60" and clicked "Set Level"... Is it supposed to? I have 6 Zigbee bulbs controlled by this instance.

The app does not make an effort to maintain the Activation Device state beyond the switch state and the groupState attribute state. It shouldn't matter.

If you set a different level in the Activator Device, that will command the level of all of the Devices to Automate (that have level).

Got it, thanks.
Perhaps something to consider for the future?
I have a dashboard with "dimmer" device AND a Hue switch - both controlling 6 bulbs. I guess I can make a rule to set activator level to 60 when activator turns on - I think that's the only thing that is required in my case...

I will look into it.

2 Likes

In effect you have a Group and a Scene. If you set the Activator Device to 70, then all of the bulbs will go to 70, and will show the same value. If you push the button on the Hue Dimmer, that's going to set all of them to 60 (per what you showed above). But, what if your table had different values for each device, not all at 60? Then what value would it make sense to put into the Activator Device?