[NEW APP] Room Lighting

I'm positive I hit update/done but I've been positive before........:thinking:

I'll make the changes to the rule after dinner and test again. I'll make sure to look at the subscriptions. I have it working another way but want to figure out why I'm not seeing the same results you are.

Thanks

What hub build are you on? I've tested on 2.3.2.141 and 2.3.3.114 (beta).

I'm on 2.141 (latest non beta).

I created a new simple rule with motion and a disable switch. It worked just like yours. So the app is working correctly.

After dinner I'll go back in and modify the actual rule. I either forgot to hit update/done or have a corrupt rule.

Thanks for checking on your end. I'm sure you had better things to do on a Saturday.

This one is my fault. I would have bet money (and lost) that I had pressed update/done. I know I need to do that. The switch portion of disabled is working as it should.

Sorry for wasting your time..

No problem. You found that other bug, for which I'm grateful... That one will be fixed in 2.3.3, now in beta.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: SmartLife Integration

Sorry if I missed this but does anyone know if there is a way to have a room lighting automation only run for certain times of the year? I have some color bulbs in my outside lights that I thought could be fun to automate for different holidays. Any help would be great.

Yes, but you'd have to set up the seasonal schedules with Rule Machine. Within Room Lights you can disable Activation by using a Boolean Hub Variable, and re-enable as well. So you'd have a Rule in Rule Machine that sets that variable based on the dates for the seasons.

Suppose you want to have a Holiday Lights Room Lights setup that you only want to run between November 15 and January 5. You'd set that up in Room Lights, and use a Hub Variable to disable/re-enable. This rule below would do that for you. Note that Room Lights disables upon a Boolean Hub Variable becoming true, so I named the Hub Variable "Not during Holidays". So when November 15 rolls around, it gets set to false, which enables the Room Light app, and then on January 5, it gets set to true, which disables the Room Lights app. This rule offers virtually zero overhead, as it only runs twice a year.

Incidentally, after setting all this up, you'd want to flip the variable back and forth from Settings / Hub Variables, both to test and to get the Room Lights app into the right state (i.e., disabled for now).

Conversely, it can be handy to have RM set a "Restrict Outside Lights" virtual switch to "On" at various points throughout the year (and restores the VS to "Off" 12 hours later). All other RM and RL rules involving outdoor lighting (Front Porch, Spotlights, etc.) contain a prerequisite condition that this switch be in the "Off" position in order to proceed.

You may ask:

WHY A SWITCH AND NOT A VARIABLE? I could have used a Hub Variable and created a Variable Connector for it, so that's a perfectly viable alternative. But so long as I have an entity that can be seen/controlled by me, Alexa, Dashboards, etc. this setup works fine.

WHAT TIME(S) OF YEAR IS THIS FOR? Here in the Deep South, we get swarming termites that appear suddenly, and the best way to prevent them entering your home is to turn off all the lights.... quickly! I can turn on the VS mentioned above for as many nights as we expect termites to be flying through the neighborhood.
Secondly, nights like Halloween, which I can set for "October 31 at 5pm" in RM, or July 4, New Years Eve, meteor showers, etc. benefit from having outside lights remain off.

Hope this use case comes in handy for someone.

(POTENTIAL BUG WITH FORCE)

If I understand the use of FORCE, all it does is force an on or off command regardless of the state of the device. If this is correct, there appears to be a bug if you have ACT unchecked, OFF checked and FORCE checked. In this scenario, the light gets turned ON even though ACT is not checked. I have included copies of the rule and logs with FORCE checked and unchecked (I made sure I hit done this time :grinning:)

FORCE UNCHECKED

FORCE CHECKED

1 Like

When I open a sub-app of room lights, I get the following error:
app:832022-09-23 09:05:27.920 amerrorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'id' on null object on line 89 (method mainPage)
The instance of room lighting is still operating. I cannot delete or modify the instance. Updating to 2.3.3.121 did not resolve the issue.

Something is corrupted with this instance. You will have to remove it and recreate it.

1 Like

To delete the child app, even if you can't open it normally by clicking on it, you can click on the gear icon to the left of the child app and scroll down to the bottom of the page that opens and click the Remove button.

1 Like

Under the page "Set Up Lighting Periods", there is an option "Use Stay Minutes Per Mode for motion stays". I would like to wait on motion inactive for different length of time for each mode. For example, in the evening for 15 minutes and 1 minute at night. Is this what this option does? The language is a bit confusing.

I am not sure the stay time on activation makes any sense. I used the preset off stay time for my purposes.

Hi @bravenel

I did post in a new topic but think it will get more action here.

Please could we get an option to activate a random colour on an LED strip/bulb in room lighting. It is an option in Motion and Mode lighting. I use this for the bathroom at night so as not to fully wake the person and it is one of the most "liked" options I have had from guests. Currently it lets you choose a colour but just adding in the random would mean I can remove Motion and Mode lighting.

Please please

1 Like

I am trying to use Variable Become False as a means to turn off the lights. What I am finding is the list of variables to choose from in Room Lighting consists of variables that were present when I created the rule, not what they currently are. I have been unable to figure out how to refresh the variable list. Am I missing something obvious or could this be a ?

This is happening on the latest version. I updated this afternoon.

have you tried hitting refresh on the front page of the app?

I have to be blind but do not see a REFRESH button anywhere.

Hitting the Update button on the main page should do it.

3 Likes