[NEW APP] Room Lighting

Different triggers implies 2 different Room Lights, or Room Lights plus Basic Rule, or Room Lights plus RM rule. Room Lights doesn't have IF THEN logic.

That shows only Evan's Bed Lights reporting its state. But it's hard to tell what you're doing to generate those logs. Instead of whatever that is, hit Activate button in the app, then a bit later hit Turn Off button in the app, and post those logs.

I had been toggling the green/red circle to test if the lights were turning on.

At 7pm, "Kids Sleep" Mode turns on, which triggers the activation of Evan's Bed Lights and "Ice Cream" (which is really the other kid's bed lights, but Google Home was giving us a hard time).

Then I manually toggled the red/green circles a few minutes later before turning off the debug logging in the Room Light app. I needed to manually toggle them because there isn't any other expected behavior until the lights turning off at sunrise.

OK, this is very hard to trouble shoot from a distance. You're doing too many things for me to understand what is going on. The logs you have posted are very confusing. If you want my help, you have to do one thing at a time, and post the logs that I ask for -- otherwise it's just not possible to help.

Turn on debug logging again. Turn Off the lights with the app Turn Off button, Clear the logs. Hit the Activate button in the app, and post those logs only.

I am upgrading to this app. But I do not undertand where should I keep my Lights GRUOPS and SCENES. Should I use only this Room Lighting app or only [Groups and Scenes app]

You can import Groups or Scenes into Room Lighting, and they should work the same. After you import one, disable the original on the App Page, Resume the new one, and check it out. See this post:

Sorry, @bravenel. I was trying to capture a log of the app when the Red X appeared.

Here's the log from activating, per your request.

So only two of the 5 lights are reporting. That would explain the Xs in the display.

Is the app not turning them on or off as you would want? If so, use this option:

That will bring up a new column in the table, called Force:

Check the Force box for any light that doesn't report reliably.

Yep, I have noticed, they now have a repeating status, in orange, and restricted, which looks scary but it just means I had a time restriction on one app. I have into really delved into this one yet but the Motion and Mode Lighting app made it real easy to program a recent action as did "Simple" Automation Rules. You can program a whole set of actions all at once.

Hi I am working on the upgrade.
I used grups so I can use Alexa to turn them on or off.
Is there way to have a emulted the legacy GROP SWITCH on/off with option as before {Use group device to indicate if any members are off}.

I find no way to do it, becuase I have only a ACTIVATOR at the RL app. But it dose not sync with the group satus.

I wish I can have back again a GROUP SWITCH SYNCRONAZED that is shown OFF STATUS if ANY light is off, and ON SATUS if ALL lights are ON.

Thanks

@bravenel -

The app is turning them on and off as expected. A few seconds after the change, the table shows the "X", despite responding as expected. (FYI, the rule is "On at KidSleep Mode, Off at Sunrise)

Will change to Force and see if there's any difference. Thanks!

All of these options are available. As I said before, simply import the Group-2.1 app, and it will have all of the options. It is called Activator Device in RL, but provides the same functionality. Group status can be selected as indicator:

They may be responding, but they are not reporting. As long as they work properly, don't worry about the X. Force won't change anything if they are responding -- that will not affect whether or not they report.

Is it possible to use the adjust on mode change option when not using the “Use per mode settings”? I use a variable for the level and temperature so that I don’t have to setup each individual mode, but that variable does change when the mode changes.

Not currently. I will look into that.

Are you on the latest build? Your table looks like it didn't render correctly. What browser are you using?

I’m on the latest build. It’s chrome on my iPad, but the table renders correctly in chrome on my surface pro.

One thing to consider when implementing this in the future. If (as it is in my case) the mode change triggers the variable change, the variable may not be updated when the light mode change action is triggered.

I just confirmed this on my system by adding the modes with the same variable in each mode. The light change on mode action happens before the variable change on mode update completes.

Yeah, there would be a race condition...

1 Like

Hey @bravenel, I might need a little guidance getting this right, as I'm not sure I fully understand how to use Scenes harmoniously with Room Lighting.

In the following Room Lighting instance, lights come on with motion to a variable color temperature. Lights should go off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

I have a Scene called Bedroom Bright Mode that has the lights on 100% and 6500K, which I use when there's more light needed in the bedroom. When the Bedroom Bright Mode Scene Activator is on, it should disable the Room Lighting Activation, so the lights will stay bright. When we're done with the bright lights, "Hey Google, turn off the bright mode", and the Scene Activator will restore the previously captured state.

That works fine, but I'm not sure how to get out of it, or get back to the default state. Room Lighting is set to turn off the Scene Activator after 5 minutes, but it doesn't quite work right. This morning they turned on warm, but never picked back up throughout the day with the variable color temperatures, and stayed the same CT all day, despite the Scene Activator being off. They also never turned off. Any guidance is appreciated!

First suggestion: import this Scene into Room Lights.

Second suggestion, instead of using Disable/Enable, just use the state of the Scene Activator as a Condition to Limit Activation.

Seems like you have some sort of race condition possible.

Are you saying to use two Room Lights instances then? Or rebuild the full automation around the imported scene?