New App Features in 2.2.8

Do you have any installed? Or are you just starting to set some up?

Show a screenshot of you Apps page at the top, where Button Controllers would be.

If you click on Button Controllers, this is what you should get:

If you are not getting that page, I would suggest that you reboot your hub, and/or try a different browser.

I know but a get this:

I would suggest that you reboot your hub, and/or try a different browser.

Or perhaps, clear your browser cache.

Is this your first button 5.0?

@bravenel , could you clarify if you remove button Version 5, does it remove the older buttons too? I don't have older buttons to test that theory.

Maybe removing this instance and reinstalling would help?

Ok, I change the browser, reboot, try with Linux nothing change.
I delete all my previous buttons and delete and reinstall the app and now I can create Button but I lost all my previous Button, it's very bad.
Thanks for your help

why my still says rule machine 4.1 but on the app list says rule machine legacy

You have to install the new rule machine it's a separate app, did you do that?

Thats what they call a clean install :joy:

So, if I have a Rule 4.1 that can accept either a time of day or a button press as the trigger, if I want to write similar in RM 5, I need to separate it, so the button triggering it is in the button controller, and the time of day triggering it is in RM 5? Or maybe use a virtual switch as a go-between?

This all sounds normal to me.

"Rule Machine Legacy" is what the old "parent" (top-level) app has been renamed to. This app is home of Rule 4.x and older versions. Instances of Rule 5.0 can be created under the new "Rule Machine" app (add it if you don't already have it: Apps - Hubitat Documentation). The old parent app had to be renamed because they wanted to re-use this name for the new one, and there were significant changes made to the parent app so the same parent app couldn't be used for both (this is different from how every Rule Machine upgrade so far has worked).

Additionally, existing installs will not be affected. So, your Rule 4.1 rules will remain Rule 4.1. If there was a way to automatically upgrade everything, they would not have made Rule 5.0 a totally new app. :slight_smile: (But that is a common question.)

You can still use button events as triggers in Rule 5.0, and that sounds like it would work for your case. This would be the "Button" trigger in both Rule 5.0 and older versions. What has been removed is the Rule 4.x "Button Device" trigger, whose functionality is now more or less under the Button Controller app (anything you create new there now will be a version 5 child app).

4 Likes

i see thanks

Updated to 2.2.8.141 and ā€œadjust +30ā€ is working as expected.

Thank you for responding so quickly to my issue.

Over two years with you guys and I still get impressed with your support.

7 Likes

Is there a way to use a hub variable for a temperature setpoint in Thermostat Scheduler?

Not yet. These sorts of features will be coming out in upcoming releases.

3 Likes

Hi Folks,

Appears Rule Machine 5 will be the way of the future from reading this post.
Couple of simple questions for ya...

#1, Should I just put my rules over to Rule Machine 5.0 now and start using that since I don't have a lot of rules yet. Would be an easy task at the moment.

#2, If I do that, and there are no rules left in Rule Machine 4, will I just delete that app?

Thanks
Chad

Yes, but there will likely be a rule 6, 7, infinity in the future too.

There is really no reason to chase this. If the existing rule works, leave it as-is.

For new rules, make them in the current version on RM.

For existing rules you want to modify, for whatever reason, and want a feature in a newer version of RM then move it to the new version then.

4 Likes

Totally agree. As others have already demonstrated, rules created by old versions of Rule Machine donā€™t disappear when new versions are released.

If it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys!

1 Like