New App Features in 2.2.8

Is it possible to use these on a dashboard?

Hmm so instead of creating a trigger in rule C (triggered by rules A or B running), I can leave rule C with actions only, and add “run rule C actions” to rules A and B.

Is that about right?

Those are apps, so not usable as such on a Dashboard. You can use the Pico buttons on a Dashboard. But, I don't think Dashboards support 'held'. When you push a Dashboard button, the corresponding Button Rule would run.

If the rule that has the triggers you wanted to trigger from with Other Triggers on other rules, that rule just has Run Rule Actions for the rules that would have the Other Triggers.

1 Like

Well when you go and put it that way, it makes sense. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

We are looking at allowing more than just pushed for Dashboard buttons.

5 Likes

another little ui glitch: when cloning a rule with a false predicate condition, the name of the new rule ends with

< span style='color:red'>(Predicate false) clone

(space after lt added to make it show here correctly)

Haha, that is the name of the rule at that point. You can edit the name for the clone.

3 Likes

In the description for Rule 5.0 it is implied that it is a more faster, efficient rule engine. While not necessary, would there be a performance improvement to porting all rules to 5.0 and uninstalling the legacy 4.0 rule engine app? I ask as I have an older hub that sometimes has performance issues (I've seen it bog down from time to time, but usually a reboot solves the problem.)

Can a legacy (4.0 or 4.1) rule access a Connector to a Hub Variable?

I have a number of global variables that are fundamental to many of my rules (for example the colour temperature of my lighting which changes throughout the day and us used by multiple rules to set or change the lighting's colour temperature). This means that I would have to migrate all those rule to 5.0 if I wanted to add any new rules using those global variables (e.g. I add RGWB lighting to another room) as Rule 5.0 rules would not be able to access the global variable.

As a workaround, could I create a Number Hub Variable under Rule 5.0, create a Connector for it and then have a legacy Rule 4.1 which updates that connector so that Rule 5.0 rules can respond?

I'll more than likely move that functionality over to Rule 5.0 rules at some point, but that's going to be a lot of work, so I'm looking for interim solutions...

Connectors are just devices, so any app--including any version of rule--can access them. However, something else you might consider is creating a new Rule 4.1 rule while you still can, leaving it empty/blank, maybe titling it something like "Rule 4.1 - Clone Master." Then, any time you want to create a new Rule 4.1 rule, export and re-import this rule into Legacy Rule Machine (then use the imported rule as the basis for your "new" rule). That feature should remain even though the ability to create fully new ones will eventually disappear, so it's basically a way around that.

1 Like

That's an interesting thought on having a blank Rule and cloning it by re-importing it in the future, thanks. I probably want to move over to hub variables in time, but its nice to be able to do it when it floats to the top of the to-do list!

The only thing that would make any difference are rules that make heavy use of Global Variables. Otherwise, not worth the effort imo.

2 Likes

Yes. These are simply virtual devices.

1 Like

:man_facepalming: Well there is my use case. Lots of global variables. But if things are working why change for change sake.

I have some rules that use as many as three variables and interact with one another. Under RM4 there was a noticeable delay for certain events. I've converted them to RM5 and hub variables and those delays are G O N E, gone. Love it!

4 Likes

Can anybody confirm that adjusting the value of a dimmer is not working in BC 5,0

I can set a dimmer to a value, but “adjust +30” is being ignored and nothing in the logs.

The BC is firing because if I put other actions with it the other actions take place.

Haven’t tried it yet in RM 5

Below, the action for button 1 pushed does nothing.

Thanks, There is a bug here. Will track it down and get a fix out...

2 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for verifying.

I can't add Button Controllers ?
No option since 2.2.8