Nest is shutting down the Works with Nest API

No, the sky is not falling...

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like Google is backpedaling a little bit, which I believe is a good thing.

Here's The Verge's take on today's Google announcement.

3 Likes

It sounds like Partners are going to have to work with google and do a security audit to have integration. Is this something Hubitat is pursuing?

One could only hope. There is no native Nest support with Hubitat now, so my guess is that this may not be a priority.

To be fair; there was nest support until nest stopped reviewing integration applications nearly a year ago. All of this delay presumably pending the Works with Nest API shutdown announcement. HE removed the nest [app] a couple of months ago when it became clear that the review wasn't going to happen any time soon.

@SteveV and @jkudave I beg to differ about no native Nest support already for HE. There was, but for people that had a developer account already. HE pulled it from the app list when Nest wouldn’t let new developer accounts get created. Personally, I had a developer account and have the native Nest integration working in HE still. So I would guess that HE will end up looking into it on the new platform

I think we're saying the same thing:

1 Like

I imagine that even if this was something Hubitat wanted to pursue it would be limited by Nest.

The reason being that Nest would prioritize other larger partners such as SimpliSafe and Amazon first.

Smaller partners are going to have a long wait in line.

Well I don't have any idea how this will all shake out. The only control I currently use with Nest is my wife tells Google it's time for bed and the living room lamp is turned off via Hubitat and the Nest thermostat is set to 60 degrees via Google Assistant. I'm guessing this will keep on working as long as Google doesn't shut out Hubitat.

That will be a piece of cake to do directly as a routine in Google Assistant anyway.

A new update:

What’s new? It looks the same as the updates from 5/16.

It is the same. Nothing new.

I have done this by using the relay assistant. You simply use the commands as if you were saying them in the rule and set the notification device to the google relay assistant.

Example:

To arm home and guarding: [CC]ok google, Set Nest to Home and Guarding

To set to Away and Guarding: [CC]ok google, Set Nest to Away and Guarding

I have this combined with iphone wifi sensor and Locative to autoamtically do the away when everyone leaves the house and are outside of the home Radius. I use a samsung button to turn off all lights and set it to home and guarding at night when I'm ready for bed.

Got an email from IFTTT about the changes with Nest which is as follows:

Due to your avid feedback, Google has created a path for current users of Nest to keep their Nest Applets functioning!

Earlier this year, Google announced a significant change to their Nest products. In their efforts to bring smart home solutions under a Google Assistant umbrella, the Works with Nest program was to be discontinued. That meant your Applets for Nest Thermostat, Nest Protect, and Nest Cam would cease to function. Now, that is no longer the case.

Please refer to Nest’s post for details, but here is how to keep your Nest Applets working on IFTTT beyond August 31, 2019.

• Do not migrate your Nest account to a Google account. Migrating your Nest account will cause IFTTT and other Works with Nest integrations to be disconnected. This process is not reversible.

• Do not disconnect Nest from IFTTT after August 31st as you will not be able to reconnect it. This affects users that do not migrate their Nest accounts to a Google one.

At IFTTT, we believe that every thing works better together and we will continue to advocate for your ownership over how the products, apps, and services that fill your life can be connected, secured, and controlled.

If you have feedback to share, take to your community forum of choice and share your opinion on how you’d like the services in your life to work for you.

Here is the link to the actual Nest posting What’s happening at Nest? | Nest

1 Like

Also worth noting

So if you buy a Nest after August 31, too bad....

Looks like it, or else you'll have two separate accounts until you merge them. Looks like a big mess IMO.

1 Like

100% with you on that.

Like anyone should be shocked Google shuts down something. There are dozens of things like Google TV, Picasa, goo.gl, and Google plus that were dropped like a hot potato once someone lost interest in the project du jour.

I have been burned lots of times in the past, and that is one reason I stayed away from Nest as well as Google Assistants.

Now we can just add Nest to this list.