Need Wind speed

Not sure I want another investment at this time but thanks for the tip. I did look into these and failed to find one that works with hubitat. Now if I can't get this to work I have an option. I appreciate it!

That too is important to me. Pulling locally. I don't like relying on servers.

In Rule Machine when you set the trigger....

Set trigger as 'Custom Attribute' then select your 'Open Weather' device form the list. You'll then get a drop down box 'Select Attribute' That will list everything from your device that can be used as a trigger. As an example I have a Dishwasher connected by an app and api and this is the list of possible attributes I get to use as a trigger:

There are more there than in the current states panel that can be seen in the device page:

So it could well be that Wind Speed is in your custom attribute list if you set the trigger that way.

Which integration does this?

the weatherflow lite driver... Bobby looked through it and the api from weatherflow and it's pretty much getting everything from the hub....at least that's my understanding at this point even though it's still a rest api...

1 Like

Got it! It does show up.. You are awesome! Thank you!!!!

1 Like

Cloud websocket.

The UDP API is the only one that is local. But unfortunately not directly Hubitat-compatible.

No problem. It's surprising how much I've learned on here while getting my own rules to work. So I can finally pass some of it back.

1 Like

Ahh I thought it was still being pulled right from the hub... at that point

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the help.... I love this community

2 Likes

Victor has said he’ll look into it - so hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Yeah Sorry, the way I thought it worked was obviously wrong and now I feel like an idiot... Doh!

Not sure if it’s still available on his site, but quite some time ago, @Cobra had written a driver that pulls data into HE from Weewx. So if you get your PWS data into Weewx (which is a huge number of weather stations), then you get it local in HE.

1 Like

There is a driver for WeeWX that supports the Tempest, and a driver for WeeWX that feeds Hubitat. All local communication.

1 Like

Yeah - I pull data into Hubitat via a UDP listener in node-red. But like the WeeWX integration, that also requires an additional computer to be setup (an RPi or whatever).

Victor had said that he'd look into the possibility of userland apps/drivers being able to bind arbitrary UDP ports in a future platform release. When that happens, a direct Hubitat integration that doesn't require another computer becomes feasible.

1 Like

I don't believe that driver is still available. Also, if memory servers, it was also a print/export style module rather than a data loop driver. I released a data loop driver that might be of interest.

1 Like

That would be valuable for many uses... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed!

It's still on his site. You just need login credentials, but there's no charge. It's called Weather Switch. But the code you've posted would do the trick too. Thanks for the pointer to it.

Personally, I gave up on Weewx. It was more to maintain than the value it brought to me. There's an HA integration for my Ambient Weather station I've used which allows me to actuate virtual switches in HE based on HA automations. It's cloud and does go off line from time to time though, so for anyone in need of near 100% reliability or reliable readings directly in HE, Weewx is for sure the way to go.

1 Like

I built a custom driver that reads from WeeWx MQTT custom driver mqtt · weewx/weewx Wiki · GitHub , you know you can't have enough custom drivers. I posted the code here, You can plug in almost any topic that publishes JSON. It can be adopted to read a MQTT topic that just pushes values also. But I wanted the observations tha t provided luminance and some other values.

4 Likes