Native HomeKit?

The Mac Mini is pretty much a laptop in a different shape box without screen or kbd. So the power is very low. I have 4 of them running in this room alone, with two more running in a different room.

At least once a month I'm checking ebay for slightly newer. Mine are a 2012 and four 2014 vintage Mini's, only one is a 2018 version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to use TeamViewer as well but found that Apple's built in screen sharing works great without having to rely on a cloud based connection.

2 Likes

I had problems with HOOBS but have been running Homebridge on a Rasberry Pi (pre-built image) for almost a year. It’s been very stable. However, I use very few plugins - just Hubitat and Ring. All my devices are controlled from Apple Home but automations are in HE and/or Node-red. I have no HomeKit devices.

3 Likes

But I'm fairly sure it's now local only. I use Screen Sharing at home, but TeamViewer for remote. If you're using an older system, you can maybe still use the remote feature, but in MacOS El Capitan and later, it's gone.

2 Likes

I use Screen Sharing over a VPN connection when away from home.

I experimented with Hoobs, and while it seems fine, some plug-ins were troublesome to get working. I was surprised to learn a friend that isn't very welcoming of anything where he needs to use a terminal, had actually started with Hoobs, but then moved to Homebridge. He said the same thing. Much happier and much more stable.

I setup Hoobs for my daughter's apartment running on a RPi Zero W, and it's been fine, but that's only a handful of devices.

3 Likes

Yep, running WireGuard VPN through Home Assistant.

2 Likes

That's what I've been using since the pandemic started. Blows OpenVPN out of the water .....

4 Likes

The issue that I ran into was that HOOBS appeared to periodically kill my internet providers modem. Could never figure out what was causing it. Switched to Homebridge and it stopped. Same plugins (at that time Wink):man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Strange. I've never used HOOBS; I switched to using an iPhone after the pandemic started. And HomeBridge was more convenient because I could run it on hardware that I had other things on.

I believe that @ogiewon uses HOOBS without any issues, so it could have been an issue with the Wink plugin(s).

2 Likes

Maybe... but the same thing ran without a problem on Homebridge. It could have been the image they built. I went a couple of rounds troubleshooting with them but no one could figure it out. At one time I was switching between HA, HOOBS and Homebridge almost weekly to settle on the final solution :joy:

1 Like

Which was - to dump Wink, switch to Hubitat, And live la dolce vita!

:skull:

I would have used the :joy: emoji, except that CNN told me yesterday it was completely passΓ©, and the :skull: was the one to use when one is laughing. And off course, I must keep up with the times ..... :joy:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/tech/crying-laughing-emoji-gen-z/index.html

4 Likes

HOOBS is popular but I also found it wasn't for me. I used the alternative:

It's basically the same, oddly.

"This project provides a free Raspbian based Raspberry Pi image with Homebridge and Homebridge Config UI X pre-installed."

The color scheme is different, but this version worked well for me. YMMV

5 Likes

Cool is knowing that you can do what you want with complete confidence, never caring what other people tell you is cool. :joy:

4 Likes

I did run HOOBS on a RPi for many months without any issues. I decided to migrate to HomeBridge running on Windows 10, since that machine was already running 24x7. I have used @dan.t’s Hubitat Plugin for both solutions.

1 Like

I would like to put in a plug here for something that was mentioned earlier.
That is, @tonesto7 and his Homebridge V2 approach.
(This is used instead of @dan.t's maker approach).

In this installation that I just finished, I set up:
Hubitat (with all the rules, devices, etc)
-> with HomeBridge V2 app
RPI (running the Homebridge UX)
sending data to a IPAD for the client to use as a Dashboard.

A few points.

1. I had to put in a RPI, because I needed a server to send out emails, and text messages.
  2. Since I had the RPI going in anyway, putting in that HomeBridge stuff was easy as pie (no pun intended).
    Also, I'd like to point out that I'm a novice (but learning) at Linux.
    If I can do it, anyone (almost) can do it.
  3. The client is completely Apple literate and wanted hands on control on their phones.
    In my humble, personal, opinion, this is a great approach.

Addendum:
Later on, I discovered something else which speeded up the control of the light switches. (Thanks to @ogiewon). I discovered that The Lutron Bridge (and all of its devices) could be sent not just to Hubitat, but directly to HomeKit! (as well). This means that all of the "other stuff" (thermostats, sensors, etc.) went to HomeKit via HomeBridge V2 (from Hubitat), while the light switches went via Lutron directly.

Another prime example of why the Hubitat community is a competitive advantage in the world of Home Automation.

2 Likes

I started with the tonesto7 homebridgev2 app approach and ended up switching to Maker-API after having multiple issues and quirks. Never looking back.

Sounds like "MakerAPI" gets the most votes. @aaiyar helpfully posted a link to a guide. I'll see if I can get that working. Would anyone familiar with MakerAPI and the steps required - who might be willing to assist me - please DM me?

Thanks for the support here, everyone!

1 Like

Can I urge you to directly add to the main thread started by @dan.t for his MakerAPI-HomeBridge integration? Questions/problems and their answers/solutions add to the richness of this community, and will likely make someone else's installation a wee bit easier down the road!

I'll be here on & off during the day, and promise to pitch in whenever I can.

3 Likes

I'm doing the same; using Config-ui-x as my interface to HomeBridge in Windows. I was using @dan.t 's MakerAPI version in HE but changed to @tonesto7 's Homebridge V2 when he released it and haven't had any issues. I did break down and buy an Apple TV to replace my iPad as the Apple Home Hub and this is definitely the way to go since the Apple TV is always plugged in (unlike my iPad that would get unplugged and then die) and I have an ethernet connection to it.

2 Likes