HomeBridge: MakerAPI v. HubConnect v Homebridge-Hubitat v2

Hi! -- Happy XMAS .. I just crested the transition from SmartThings to Hubitat. Loving it once I got the hnag of Rule Machine.

Wanted to start looking at getting devices into Apple Home, and I got lost in discussions of the 3 Hubitat-to-Homebridge proxies. I can't figure out if there is a use X when you meet these conditions, or its a personal choice or ???

It looks like tonestos's Homebridge Hubitat v2 has the most recent updates, and that DanTapps work is based off it. Lots of threads out there, but piecing together the timeline/cross-ver of those proved more than my morning caffeine could process.

Wondering if people could give some feedback? Maybe one of these is actually deprecated over another? Or they have specific use cases (such as HubConnect is great when you are already using it) ..

Really appreciate it

In terms of plugins, if someone isn't using HubConnect, then the MakerAPI plugin makes for an easier setup.
Reference

Sounds like "MakerAPI" gets the most votes
Reference

I use @dan.t's MakerAPI based plugin for HomeBridge. I like the fact that it does not use any custom code on the Hubitat hub. I am a KISS (keep it simple) kind of user, and thus prefer the 'less is more' approach. It has worked very well for me for many, many months.

@tonesto7's HomeBridge Hubitat v2 plugin has received more recent updates, and probably has more features as it is a Custom App running on Hubitat that affords the developer and user more flexibility.

My feeling is that both a very good, and are well received by their respective user communities.

1 Like

I can echo what @ogiewon said about both plug-ins. I also use @dan.t’s plug-in with MakerAPI.

1 Like

I'm using @dan.t 's plugin, but the HubConnect version. I would say that you'd want to start with @dan.t MakerAPI version. It's easy to start with, and he has a website to build your config.json. Maybe you find you need some added features and you can switch to @tonesto7 's version. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Homebridge V2 creates the config for the plugin in the HE app, so it's just copy/paste. V2 also supports Apple's Adaptive Lighting feature, which was huge for my wife. She hated turning up lights at night that were set to 2000K and with Adaptive Lighting, the CT increases as the light gets brighter and vice versa. There is also support for modes, and buttons built into the app.
If your savvy enough to be setting up a HomeBridge server, I wouldn't think there would be any real difference in complexity.
I would suggest using the Homebridge-Config-ui-x plugin for the HomeBridge server, and make sure any other plugins that are added are setup afterwards as child bridges, so if one plugin fails to load, it doesn't effect the others.

3 Likes

I’ve used both and they both work great. I prefer the maker api based codebase for low overhead on the Hubitat device.

What I've done is use the Hubitat integration in Home Assistant to get all my native Hubitat devices in Home Assistant.

Then I used the HomeKit integration within Home Assistant to get all my devices into HomeKit. That has allowed me to get Hubitat, Smart things, and other devices into HomeKit.

@alexcapone May I ask why are you running 3 SmrtHome hubs? HA, HE, ST? Im trying to get less gizmos

No idea why @alexcapone does it, but there are some devices that integrate with Home Assistant, but not Hubitat. A similar argument can be made for SmartThings.

1 Like

I’ve used both as well, but prefer Homebridge v2 for its simple device filtering capabilities.

1 Like

Great info everyone!!! ..
I went with MakerAPI and installed Homebridge on a Raspberry PI via Docker. I tried to use the Raspi-Homebridge Image, but the WIFI would never work.

1 Like

I started with Smartthings and some devices worked really well on them but some did not such as my Zooz zwave switches. I moved the Zooz switches to Hubitat. Any new ZigBee and Zwave devices have been set up on Hubitat.

I bought a Home Assistant Blue to tinker (non zwave/ZigBee) and was able integrate additional devices that were not compatible with Smart things or Hubitat. These include iDevice switches, MyQ garage, LG washer/dryers, and Vivint integration for built in door sensors

With all 3 hubs I'm able to do some of the following automations for example:

1. Galaxy SmartTag (Smartthings) can open MyQ garage door (Home Assistant)

2. When Nest Doorbell (Smartthings) is rang my iDevice (Home Assistant) porch and foyer light switches turn on.

3. When built in door sensors (Home Assistant) are opened various Zooz lights turn on (Hubitat)

Home Assistant allows me to see all my devices in one place including my Eufy and Reolink cameras. I do my automations in whichever of the three hubs makes sense so they're all a bit scattered between Hubitat, Smartthings, and Home Assistant. All of this may sound a bit convoluted but all my automations work exactly the way I want them to so I'm happy with it.

2 Likes