MyQ Local, need advice

Currently using the MqQ App and want to get my GDO local. I've read the various threads for putting MyQ local, but I'm confused about how to proceed, and would appreciate some advice.

I have:

1. an older (circa 2011) Liftmaster GDO with a Purple learn button
  2. an 888LM control panel
  3. an 828LM internet gateway
  4. A 3 button liftmaster controller that is rarely if ever used
  5. 100% zigbee system with a good zigbee signal in the garage

I'm OK doing some wiring, prefer not to do any soldering and prefer to keep this really simple.

What device, wiring layout (if needed), and app would you suggest for getting my Garage Door local?

My q wont run local. To make your gdo local you'll need a zen 16 or 17 for z-wave or an MHCozy for Zigbee and an ecolink tilt sensor, and a security 2.0 to dry contact. You can install it in parallel with your own controls so you can use those as well.

2 Likes

Your opener has the following

Purple Security+ Rolling Code 315MHz Amber/Yellow 2005-2014

If you want to avoid any soldering, I'd recommend looking at Garadget's website, although it appears all their products are for Security+ 2.0. Check out their community postings to see if they have something that works for you.

Alternatively, buy a new pushbutton compatible with your opener and solder to the actual momentary contact button; not the two wires that connect it to the GDO.

With either of the above, get a Zooz Zen16/17 and go from there. You can add a tilt sensor or an open/close contact sensor if there is a place to mount it.

2 Likes

You can use a Zen16/17 for Z-wave, or a Shelly Uni for Wifi. All of those work directly with Hubitat. There is a great community driver for the Shelly Uni.

3 Likes

Or MHCozy for zigbee

4 Likes

If you want to go simple you could ziptie a button pusher to your extra remote. Then you just need a contact or tilt sensor on the door to report its current state.

I picked up 2 of these and have had fun finding odd uses for them. They’re zigbee.

3 Likes

OMG that is a really wild but simple solution. I had no idea this device even existed. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, i had been wishing for a zigbee or zwave switchbot for years. Finally got my wish.

I did all this too. The idea of a button pusher gave me this Rube Goldberg vibe..

But I love it! And no soldering at all. I soldered on the the contacts of the button on an old remote control.

4 Likes

Thank you to everyone for the all the great suggestions.

I'm going with the Rube Goldberg fingerbot with my existing 3 button garage door controller or the 888LM control panel, and @kkossev's driver. I already have a Samsung Tilt sensor in use with the MyQ app.

Ordered off Ebay from a USA seller, more expensive but it gets here sooner than ordering from China on Alibaba. I want to get this working ASAP should MyQ pull the plug on currently working non-paying users.

Just wondering if the fingerbot toolkit is needed?

1 Like

It comes with the “finger” you see in the picture. That will probably suffice. I bought the kit, but haven’t needed it.

1 Like

As quick FYI the finger bots from aliexpress are on sale for .99 each. With free shipping.
1.32 including tax and tarriff... 11/9/23

link?
Be careful, I took a quick look and all the super-cheap options were just the accessory kit. Not the bot.

1 Like

Oh crap... looks like i bought the arms, not the bot. TGTBT, never is...