My Hubitat MyQ integration walkthrough

Today I sat down determined to make this work. I have a Liftmaster Residential opener that uses the MYy system.
Here are the steps I took to get this to work after reading all the different posts.

1 - Install the Smart App code off GitHub

2 - Install the Device Driver - myq-garage-door-opener-nosensor.src off GitHub

3 - Install the Device Driver - myq-garage-door-opener.src off GitHub

4- Edit the new garage door device and make sure the Type is set to "MyQ Garage Door Opener"

5 - Configure the App with Account email and password.

6 - Create Dashboard - Device: Garage Door - Template: Garage Control

Synopsis: You need BOTH Drivers above and the device set to the correct Type. If you do not have them it will not work. The only gotcha i see a the moment is that status is not properly represented.

1 Like

Probably because you don't have a 3rd party (NOT MyQ) tilt sensor.

1 Like

Correct. But in theory a 3rd party device should not be needed. Just the necessary coding into the app/driver.

Hear me out... The MyQ app knows the status of the opener so in theory that variable should be able to be incorporated into the driver to properly reflect the status of Open, Closed, Opening or Closing in Hubitat. I'm not a programmer, but it seems logical to me.

Actually... I also have a Vera Plus and that device provided status as a door lock (Locked vs Unlocked).

I am not either.

But what I have been told, and from my experience, this unofficial integration cannot use that built in sensor or door status. MyQ apparently doesn't forward that info to the "cloud".

This has been looked at extensively by many people over the years. If it really was feasible, someone on the multitude of platforms including Smartthings, Home Assistant, or Hubitat would have found a way.

Not Arguing... But Its not officially supported on Vera either (3rd party developer)... but it works with status without a tilt sensor.

Things that make you go... hummmmm.

It’s much simpler if you use HPM (Hubitat Package Manager), which will also keep you up-to-date.

2 Likes

I am new to Hubitat. (literally day 2).
I'm migrating stuff over from my Vera (started with Cloud accessible devices).
I'll look at HPM. will I need to remove everything I just installed for MyQ?

No, just click match, it will match up what you’ve already installed. It’s an amazing addition. Welcome to the community.

1 Like

Disclaimer: I am not a coder, nor the author of the MyQ app. But people would probably find it interesting to see how Vera 3rd party developers did this. Maybe that logic or method (although not the code itself) could be utilized.

Is this code available for review either publicly or privately? (Just yes or no please so we don't violate any licensing stuff) And is this a paid app? (Don't know how Vera works that way)

Not really, the app just waits awhile and assumes the door is in place. I would suggest that you get a contact sensor (I use the Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7) or tilt sensor. Many people use Zigbee sensors and say they are more reliable and faster. All of my stuff is Z-Wave, and I am happy with it.

An advantage of the contact/tilt sensor is that the driver can stay in sync if the door opens by the wall push button control or remote.

1 Like

Plus 1 for using Hubitat package manager.
That makes everything so much simpler.

@672southmain Did you use HPM to install MYQ ?
If so, did you use with or without external sensors, or is there a choice now??
I will add note that HPM is an option

Yes.
External sensor - Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7. LiftMaster/Chamberlain refuses to expose their sensor, which is why an added sensor is necessary.
The HPM MyQ package has always offered the choice at install for an external sensor.

1 Like

You can take a look at the forum. There are links to the drivers that were created for Vera.

Vera MyQ Community Forum

I just received an Ecobee ZWave garage door tilt sensor, added it to HE and went to add MyQ Lite, but i'm only offered the "no sensor" option whereas the above thread lead me to believe there was a option to install it with a sensor driver?

Gosh, it’s been so long, I don’t remember. You will be old someday and have senior moments.

So, I struggled through it.

Apps page, MyQ Lite, “Tap to Modify Devices” selector, then Next.

Choose your newly-installed sensor rather that the sensor less one.

Hope this helps, it’s been a long time.

1 Like

Looking at the gihub page for MyQ.

• For garage door with tilt/door sensor install myq-garage-door-opener.src driver.

That should be the driver you have installed.
I checked my Garage door devices and that is the driver they are using.

It has been a while since I did this.
I am thinking you should be able to add that driver to hubitat.
Then for the garage door device you created, change it to use this driver.
Then in the myq app, update it to pair with your motion sensor.
You might have to delete the existing device and re-add it with the app in-order to have the option to pair it with an external sensor.

The problem with that manual driver addition approach, and why I suggested what I did, is that, not only does MyQ have to know which driver you are using, so it can make the connections within the app, but also Hubitat Package Manager has to know so that changes to the sensor component get updated as needed.

672southmain & Gizmo-cal,

Thank you both very much!!!! I originally tried to install via HPM and it only offered the non-sensor install option. Installing manually I was able to install the sensor version and everything looks good. I ran HPM, did a check for updates, and it found MyQ-lite ... I marked it as "up to date" and HPM did not try to replace or update it.

I'll test it a little later this morning when I get a break from work. :+1:

Oh ... 672southmain, I'm getting there ... just turned 60 last week. Not sure how the heck that happened ... I don't THINK I feel that old. :frowning:

@pat
Interesting info on HPM.
HPM was not a thing when I did my installation.

I agree with @672southmain.
If you are doing things with automation (IE. HPM), and you inject a manual override, there is no telling if the automation will respond correctly in the future.

You might want to discuss the HPM issue in the "Updated MyQ Lite Application Official Thread

I must have had a senior moment, and it has been a while since I changed anything with MyQ Lite.

It’s really simple with Hubitat Package Manager (“HPM”), don’t know how I missed this option.

If you didn’t install MyQ Lite by HPM, the first thing to do is to get MyQ Lite managed by HPM. If you don’t have HPM installed, then first install HPM. You will have to install the HPM app manually, but HPM can manage itself going forward.

Now everything else is easy. In the HPM app, do a “Match Up”. This will cause HPM to look around, see what apps and drivers you have installed, then bring into HPM control/update monitoring those drivers and apps it knows about. You get to select which drivers and apps get brought into HPM. The only caution at this point is that, if you have been making manual edits to the source code, those edits will be overwritten on the next update of the driver/app.

Then, once MyQ Lite is known to HPM, run a “Modify” in HPM for MyQ Lite and go through the selection process of specifying what type of sensor you will be using. You need to have your new sensor paired before you do this step so that it can be selected.

That should do it.

There is a big difference between 60 and 70. You will understand when you get there.