My Hub keeps crashing, I don't have any custom apps

Correct. I assume you have tried other ports on the switch? Or temporarily, some other switch - to ensure it isn't a hardware compatibility issue.

While, we're working with the hypothesis that the hub has "crashed" based on your title, all we know is that the hub is "unreachable".

The Hubitat platform may not have crashed - could be a hardware incompatibility between the switch and the hubitat's ethernet port .....

3 Likes

My vote is lan issue of some type. Is it possible to connect the hub straight to the router?

3 Likes

My thoughts as well, expressed at about the same time as you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would make sense that the light remains green on the hub

2 Likes

If the hubitat platform did not crash, my automations would continue. I'm not trying to login to my hub in a working environment, instead, my smart home becomes a dumb home, and when I try to check the hubitat to find out why it's unresponsive, it has disappeared from my LAN.

I have lighting controlled by the rule engine, triggered by motion sensors. When I walk into a room and the lights don't turn on, the hubitat platform has failed. When I open a door and the TTS doesn't play, the hubitat has failed. When I tell alexa to control a light and alexa responds by telling me the device is not responding, the hubitat has failed. This has nothing to do with my LAN, this is the Hubitat and the Z-Wave network failing.

After any of these issues, attempts to login to the hubitat itself fail. It's not accessible via the webbrowser UI, via its static IP, doesn't appear as a client on my LAN, and is inoperable.

It's currently on top of my rack, with plenty of airflow. I've also disabled the zigbee antenna, since other members with crashing hubs mentioned it generates significant heat, and I'm not using any zigbee devices.

Since the hub has been crashing regularly, I've even left the door to the media rack open for the last several days, further improving airflow. I was going to ziptie it behind the rack once everything was organized, but we're a long way from there atm.

2 Likes

I understand what you're saying, but lan problems can crash the hub. I had issues with IFTTT, Nest integration, chromecast, etc. slowing or crashing my hub.

1 Like

I'm using the built in Amazon Echo Skill, and Life360 Connector.

I mean, I can plug it into another port on my switch, but shouldn't it run perfectly with my current settings even if I unplug it entirely from my LAN? It's a seperate ecosystem, which is crashing every few hours.

There are no free radicals, no custom devices or connectors not officially supported, and the hub continues to crash. This is disappointing, and frustrating, for obvious reasons.

I can't yet explain why your motion lighting not working. But these two examples are totally LAN dependent. Whatever you are using for TTS announcements is bound to be LAN dependent, as is Alexa's capacity to control a light.

Eliminate the network variables is definitely a good call based in the info we have so far.

I used to run an Apple TimeCapsule, which is essentially an Apple AirPort Extreme with the added ability to backup to an internal HDD or and externally connected drive for those unfamiliar. Many of my network issues went away the day I retired it. Not a very good router compared to what is now available.

If you can connect directly to the AirPort Extreme, temporarily eliminating the TP-Link switch and get stability back, then you have found where the issue starts at least. Doesn’t mean there isn’t something else on your network causing the problem, but it’s a great start.

If you still have an issue then it’s either the router or it’s the hub. If you’re looking for a fantastic replacement for that airport extreme, I highly recommend the TP Link Deco M5. Very easy to use, mesh capable, excellent app and parental controls, and includes self updating Trend Micro attack prevention software right on the router itself. Buy from Amazon, and if it solves the issue, you’re going to be better off in many other ways too. If not, send it back to Amazon.

1 Like

Not for LAN dependent operations. The Alexa app is an obvious example of LAN dependence, as are TTS announcements.

1 Like

Sorry for the troubles. Please check your private message, I followed up with some details.

3 Likes

I to have been having crashes since the last update last week. However, if you have no response from the hub how are you supposed to do a backup if you can't get into the hub? The only way is to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to come back online.

Jan 15th for the public Edge to switch. Chromium only on Dev/Beta/Canary release for now.

1 Like

There's an automatic database backup made each day. You can restore from the most recent.

While it's a nice sentiment, but it's not always possible. Most of the time when my hub becomes unresponsive, 8081 is not available.

Get the Chromium version, it's awesome.

No reason to flag this comment. This community is going to the pansies, lately. SmartHomePrimer is one of the more helpful members of this community. Show some respect.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't play nice with HTML standards, therefore neither Edge nor Internet Explorer are supported browsers at this time. We recommend Google Chrome for best experience, but there are other browsers that Hubitat Elevation supports:

1 Like

The new Edge release candidate built on Chromium is now available. Microsoft is going to retire IE and the current non-compliant Edge browser very soon.

3 Likes

I appreciate your response. I had assumed it was an Edge problem. Maybe the chromium version will behave once it’s ready for prime time. In the mean time it’s good to know that Firefox is a supported option.

I couldn’t log in to the community with the latest beta. Some sort of JavaScript error if I am remembering correctly. Probably best to steer clear of using with HE until it’s official.