My experience with HE

I know RM4 is whizz-bang, but is it silly that I can create this RM4 rule in simple lighting and it works better ? (ie took me 45 seconds to make & I can easily put in restrictions)

Why is it silly? RM is a blank slate to do weird and wonderful things that are likely specific your your home and no point in building a app for just one person to use.
Simple lighting is just that it's easier to use and understand but just does simple things that most people want. Same with motion lighting it's for all things with motion sensors. They are also much smaller apps so will be inherently faster at doing these simple things. KISS don't overcomplicate things when they just don't need to be.

1 Like

Simple Lighting at the top said "light or switch" and got me thinking to use it for a simple wifi switch for some bedroom lamps for my kids.
It is a simple app, and does exactly what im after. I saw I will forget where it is thought as its under "lighting".

System has been relatively stable, so i've locked all the IP address of the yeelights and added the UPS driver back in the system.

#fingerscrossed I dont wake up to a broken system tomorrow.

Yeah it's name may lead you down the garden path it's should be simple rules or simple something :thinking:

So I am having an issue where my motion sensors are "dropping off" now i thought that would be a noticeable thing... but they just stop responding.
My thought is that I have my repeaters too far out and not tight enough between the devices and the hub. So I am bringing them all in - but how do i "heal" the mesh ?
IE get the devices to connect to the repeaters closer instead of trying to get back to the hub.

What other things can affect the mesh ?
I noticed when I added an extra MS that kinda tipped the limit. One would stop working, then work again and a different one stopped working, and vice versa.

I mean for a 200sqm house, with only around 12 zigbee devices and 4 repeaters i didnt think I was overloading it BUT some of the repeaters are on the outskirts / in a area where no other device would see it to connect line of sight.

I removed my 3asmarthome zigbee switches to my second hub (and a different mesh), and that improved my experience greatly, after the battery devices found the hub again. I suspect the 3asmarthome devices are not great repeaters, but I'll wait for Mike M to confirm.

I'm now thinking of completely trashing the old hub, and doing a clean install. The new hub has considerably faster loading time on pages, and the old hub is having DB issues from a restored backup.

1 Like

yeah see all I have is 4 ST multi sensors, 3 xiaomi temp sensors, 4 Iris MS and a aeotec multi 6 sensor. Oh and the 4 ebay zigbee repeaters.
Its not a huge setup.

Do you not have 3asmarthome switches?

Nope, none.
Your talking about wall switches yeah, not the ebay zigbee repeaters ?

Yes, correct. You must be the only Hubitating aussie without them.

I guess I like the idea that I can take my setup with me. If I go and put in wall switches that kinda more permanent an option. Plus with bulbs I can put them in myself vs calling a sparkie.

Did you know the best way to do a zigbee heal / see what devices are polling to what zigbee repeater ?

Not sure about how to do a heal, but this may help:

HUBip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

so by that, im guessing this is good..
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Garage door, 6ACC] via [ebay zigbee repeater, 8692]

and this is bad..
status:Active, age:0, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Main bathroom MS, B453] via [Garage light, 8568]

where "garage light" is an ikea bulb.

Yeah, mike Maxwell says they are bad repeaters.

so, the ebay repeaters repeat off each other ?
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [ebay zigbee repeater, 8692] via [Ebay repeater 2, 29EE]

im guessing the wemo bulbs repeating off themselves isnt good either
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Wemo one, A54A] via [Wemo one, A54A]

You can force a zigbee heal by shutting down your HE hub for 20 minutes. All your zigbee devices will go into "panic" mode. When you turn on your HE hub again the devices will start reconnecting using their best path.

Out of curiosity, what exactly are your eBay repeaters?

Thanks for the info @stephack

these are the repeaters, pls dont tell me they are a POS.. lol

I’ve just got another one of those to add to my Mesh, as a repeater. None of my existing devices have dropped off or wandered away from the other one of these I have been using for several months.
For stability, as I understand it, ALL your mesh devices should have multiple routes to the hub.
That way they can deal with individual devices which might be impacted by interference or low battery states etc.