My experience with HE

It’s possible, but a bit more complicated than you might hope. If you use Google Assistant Relay, you can change the color of TRÅDFRI full spectrum bulbs attached to Hue by calling out the specific color name.

@SmartHomePrimer - I have alexa, can she do it also ?
what the heck name would the specific colour be? where do you find the names ? lol

Google Assistant can show you the names, but here you go.

I don’t know what’s possible with the Alexa Speaks, Alexa TTS and other community app and drivers. I use Google Assistant Relay to do all this, even with Alexa.

By the way, all the “hey google” entries are unnecessary. I just recently learned this.

[CC] hey google, set kitchen to lavender ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to violet ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to aqua ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to yellow ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to green ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to pink ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to amber ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to cyan ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to fuchsia;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Snow;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Ghost White ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Alice Blue ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Light Goldenrod ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Lemon Chiffon ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Antique White ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Gold ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Peru ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Chocolate ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Sandy Brown ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Coral ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Pumpkin;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Tomato ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Vermilion ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Orange Red ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Pink ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Crimson ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Dark Red ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Hot Pink ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Smitten ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Magenta ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Medium Purple ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Blue Violet ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Indigo ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Light Sky Blue ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Cornflower Blue ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Ultramarine ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Deep Sky Blue ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Azure ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Navy Blue ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Light Turquoise ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Aquamarine ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Turquoise ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Light Green ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Lime ;[CC] hey google, set kitchen to Forest Green

1 Like

I was indeed. However, I don't think your luck would be any better with Hubitat. Hubitat's current scene implementation basically emulates scenes by storing data about device states on the hub, then setting the devices to that state when the scene is activated. Hue stores everything it can on the bulb, so the scene-activating device (e.g., Hue Dimmer) can communicate with it directly and immediately activate the scene (no popcorn effect, no delay [except with the Ikea bulbs, maybe because they don't support this and the Bridge is filling in the gap, or maybe they're just slow--I don't know], and [unless that's true] no need for the Bridge or anything to act as a hub, hence its name as such).

That being said, I haven't tried the Ikea bulbs paired directly to Hubitat, so I'm not sure how they behave. I doubt they would automatically find a current driver since only the "shades of white" (three literal shades, by the way--nothing in between) bulb is listed as supported and Mike is, understandably, not prioritizing development of a driver for Ikea's "budget implementation" of a Zigbee bulb. I suspect they'd work with the Generic Zigbee RGB Light driver, if anything (RGBW probably won't work due to their lack of color-temperature clusters, but you can find a color that's close and fake it--they are, in fact, capable and probably better at it than they are at colors).

1 Like

Cool. Was more pointing to how you mentioned having issues with quickly changing scenes, which wouldn't necessarily be the case if they were triggered via an automation, as not really 'cycling' through them in the same way. Regardless, the compromises are there for a bulb that costs a fraction of the more expensive bulbs, so how well they fit for purpose is really dependent on what you need.

Example is I just want to have some cheap bulbs in some pendants that I can automate the turning on/off that won't muck up my sensor mesh, so they might work well for me via Hue. :slight_smile:

Actually, with Dimmer Button Controller, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. :slight_smile: Due to some combination of app lifecycle (has to write button press number to state or atomicState to store before next execution), and the slightly slower nature of individually addressing Zigbee bulbs or groups by manually sending commands to imitate true scenes, it takes a bit longer and you can't just mash the button a bunch of times fast like you can with Hue to get right to the fourth or fifth scene or whatever (can only do about a couple presses per second here).

What makes the Ikea bulbs unique, however, is that they're still that slow even when used with Hue, so that also fails there. :slight_smile: But if you just want to automate on/off and don't plan on doing anything crazy, they're cheap and should work well enough for that.

2 Likes

Ah.. fair enough. Yeah I don't think they're ideal for a scenario like yours. If you can work around any issues they're stupidly cheap. I plan to use cheapy ones in lamps and atmosphere pendants that just need to turn on, and maybe set a dim level, but not major fancy stuff.

Mostly so I can have all the lights go off when I go to bed. :slight_smile:

G.

So I have my hue hub updated and accessed by HE, no bulbs connected but thats all good.
The issue im having in the Yeelight integration.
The app finds 8 bulbs, then on the next screen I select 8 bulbs, but then when I click done and go to the devices tab I have 7 bulbs listed, any thoughts ?

also this weird scheduled job..

if you open live logging, there should be entry stating the type of light/bulb that it wasn't able to identify after you save the selected devices
If you post a screen shot of that, I can add it to the discovery type.

Hey @mike.maxwell
I went back to the app and noticed it was the BB:79 (mac) that wasnt paired, so I just re-added BB:79 (which I think is a first-gen bulb) and found this.

perfect, just what i needed, what color capabilities does the mono bulb have?

1 Like

hey @mike.maxwell
it seems to only have brightness, no colour profile (plus candle light and flash).

PS - loving the tech support!

1 Like

mono, makes sense, its just a dim-able bulb then...
We don't have a driver built in for fixed temperature dim-able bulb, I'll add one but it won't make the next release (2.1.1)...

1 Like

be sure to let everyone know, seems some think we're asleep at the wheel here...

7 Likes

It tends to get a bit quiter right before the releases.......then it's hold back the doors.....lol (keep up the good work)

2 Likes

appreciate that @mike.maxwell , I will probably move that bulb as it isn't the brightest but support for it would still be great (if anyone else buys one).
The community has been great with their support for me, and yes - you have to do abit of reading (knowledge) and the interface isnt as simple (newb friendly) as it could be, but I know this platform is the right fit for me and really appreciate the dev's checking in on us.

One question I did have, would you guys ever consider moving some of the community apps inhouse / supported? I am keen to extend my hub with some of the apps that have been written/developed but I am concerned about performance / support with externally written drivers (I guess this is a common concern at the beginning which I am very most at).

we've always been open to this, but it's up to the developer to make the effort to initiate this.

2 Likes

Dim bulbs are always a problem in any group. :wink:

5 Likes

Ah, so i've had a lot of moment forward now.

• yeelights are in and tied to mode changes in groups (working well)
  • harmony hub software installed and can see the scenes and created tiles for them on the dashboard (thought I could set notification of one of them firing to know when my kids get up on the weekend)
  • Got my tp link software installed and it found the plug right away and I can switch that on and off
  • Got my 2x sensibo air conditioner V1's software installed, controlling them no issue. They report temperature so have 2 tiles set with 10 min refresh on them, pretty cool.
  • Did 2 HE software backups and moved them to a NAS

Next i removed a motion sensor from a tradfri bulb, removed the tradfri bulb from its hub and then reset it. Updated the phillips hub (seems to always have a hub update waiting) and then paired the tradfri to the hub. Good news it can control the temperature of the white hue so im happy with that. I went back into the app - ran the refresh but the bulb wont show in the HE app.
I have the bulb in the Hue app, its named and in a group, but no love in HE. I'll give it 24hrs and refresh the HE app again and see what comes up.

I also ordered 3 yeelight RGBW bulbs from china (half the price here in Aus) and thought I might set them up at each end of the house and one in the middle. Then when I install my ST multi sensors I will get them to trip HSM if they open at night, and get them to turn on, set red and blink as a visual warning.

Still trying to source 3 to 4 ikea USB repeaters before I setup the xiaomi temp sensors and ST multi sensors as I want the zigbee mesh to be strong to start with.

Another question, with my groups - I guess this is intermediate cause I haven't setup alexa to control them yet. I have alexa turn on her living room light group (3x yeelights) but the HE doesnt see it turn that group on (even thought its the same 3 bulbs) I guess because they are the same groups, but dont see each other. I mean once I setup alexa she will be turning on the HE group from then on instead of her own.

Any help with this one? tried this morning and still no luck.