My experience with HE

yeah I have night - but just for door.

1 Like

That’s why with iOS sleeping you HAVE to combine it with Locative or life360 etc.
Unless they all go outside Geo, HSM / Mode Manager should not trigger.

But you know that and it’s just not working for you :hot_face:

Yeah its either enter, and it bounces in and out, or you leave and it doesnt register.
the frustration is real lol

You’ve probably done this but I’d disable or remove ALL presence apps and start again using only ModeManager activated by Locative + iPhone WiFi presence, for you
+
Locative + iPhone WiFi presence, for your significant other.
As @jchurch suggests - disconnect the noise maker for a testing period. :blush:

is locative a native app ?

Locative is an iOS app that you use with the HE MakerAPI App ( a native app)
See HERE

1 Like

smh lol, another f-n work around
but I want it fixed so here I go
thanks @njanda

That’s HE .... many ways to do something - because nothing works for everyone !
:rofl::zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

lol true true.
just scanned the thread, so iOS app + maker API and read through the thread and I should be good. Not sure how maker api grants me a child/presence device? but I guess i'll keep clicking til I get somewhere :wink:

Ha ha
Sorry, I’ve only got mobile phone access at the moment so TeamViewing into my system for support is no fun.

1 Like

easy as, i'll have a play around.

Mate if I made it work, you should have no issues.

1 Like

Just Add a Virtual Device, Driver Type Virtual Presence. Then, add that Virtual Presence Device to the MakerAPI App. And voila, a presence device that Locative can update via the MakerAPI Cloud endpoint.

2 Likes

Thanks @ogiewon - appreciate it.

1 Like

Aye,
So i installed maker API, made a virtual device (presence sensor) went to maker API and exposed the PS to it. Clicked GET ALL DEVICES and got the unique ID.
Copy and pasted ur 2 URLs - arrived and departed - placed in my DEVICE ID
Pushed them both to my phone and pasted them into my home location trigger arrival and trigger departure and saved it.
Is that all I have to do ?

An iPhone turning off WiFi when asleep is not normal behavior. Mine does not do it. But there are reports other than yours of it happening (seen via a web search). Whatever the issue is is not Hubitat related. The issue is somewhere in your networking or phone.

Network steps:

1. Make sure router firmware is up to date
  2. Set static DHCP reservation for phones

iPhone settings:

1. Make sure Location Services is On and the Hubitat app is set to "Always"
  2. Make sure Background App Refresh is On and active for Hubitat app

iPhone network troubleshooting. These steps can fix weird networking behavior

1. In WiFi settings forget the network. This is a simple procedure, you will have to just re-enter the WiFi password.
  2. If that does not work then you should "Reset Network Settings" from General>Reset menu. This resets all Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before. The only downside to this procedure is that you have to re-enter all WiFi and VPN passwords.

Correct. However it does seem to disable certain wifi functions when goes into sleep mode after a few minutes.

For example, it will stop responding to ping commands, but will respond every now and then as it checks for various things. I measured a few iphones over the course of a few months and discovered that they would stop responding at times for up to 15 minutes max. This occurred mainly at night when sleeping. A lot of the network presence sensors were based on using ping so you have to set the timeout to 15 minutes before determining it truly is off the network vs just asleep to be safe.

We did discovery in another thread though that it responded to http commands differently with different errors if the phone was in sleep, deep sleep, or off the network. So that method has been pretty good for determining wifi presence.

And my favorite method is using arpping to determine network presence as the phone seems to always respond to this (and stop responding for a max of 6s) no matter what mode of sleep its in. This method gives me a very accurate state of the device.

I'm not sure what routers use for device presence, but I also have a FingBox and know it would take 20 minutes before it determined the phone was off the network. I figure it was using the ping method.

Of course I can only speak on the iphone as I don't have any android devices to work with, but you never want to rely on one method. I combine it with something like L360 and get very good results.

Hmmm...:thinking: Every iPhone I have ever tested does stop responding via its WiFi connection for specific periods of time when the phone is asleep (screen is black.) I have never had one maintain a constant WiFi connection when asleep, unless that is something Apple recently changed in iOS13 or newer iPhone hardware.

iPhones will maintain a connection to the wireless phone carrier network while asleep, which is how they will respond to phone calls, SMS texts, Push Notifications, and iMessages while sleeping.

4 Likes

I can verify this - I can see this pattern when I look at device uptime using my Fingbox. At least with an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 6P.

1 Like

I haven't used Locative in a while, but my directions that I wrote up are available below. Just a heads-up - recently Locative started getting some updates, at least for iOS via the Apple App Store. I have not personally tested the newer versions of Locative as Life360 has been working pretty well for us lately.