My Alfred Lock Review

I have no issues with either of my 2 z-wave locks on Hubitat.

3 Likes

Very good. That's now 2 of you.

There are a lot of people that have zwave locks. The problem lies with schlage locks. NOT with zwave. Please don't bring your negativity into this thread. It is not wanted or welcome. Your comments are not related to the review. Should you choose to create a topic related to your personal opinion of zwave locks, please feel free to do so. Thank you.

7 Likes

Maybe even more detailed than that. Schlage locks in specific z-wave networks. For example, I had a BE469 that finicky in my house, but behaved perfectly at @zarthan's. But I digress, this thread should focus on Alfred locks - that Bluetooth demo you posted was very impressive.

3 Likes

In your videos it seems you have to touch the screen a couple of times to get it to light up. Is that going to be the norm or is it because you have a flaky unit? Although, I guess you won't know until you get the replacement :grin:

I was looking at the Alfred DB1-C after watching Mike talk about it in the Hubitat live video. So I will be watching this thread very closely.

Thanks for the detailed writeup BTW.

Scott

1 Like

The instructions provided by alfred say to place the back of your hand over the keypad to wake it up. I always forget to do that and poke it and touch it instead. That is my failure to follow instructions. When I do remember to place my hand over it, it wakes up right away every time. I haven't trained the muscle memory to do it correctly yet. My other lock just requires a touch to wake it up. Habit.
A new unit is being sent as I type this. I'm confident that the until will not wake up with a poke like this one does not. I will try to grab a clip of waking it up the right way later today. Great question.

4 Likes

Does it work with gloves on?

3 Likes

Probably as well as your phone does with gloves.. meaning certain gloves, yes, most gloves, no.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some keypads are pressure sensitive rather than capacitive.

2 Likes

I will check that.

1 Like

Both girl gloves and husband gloves? There may be a difference.

6 Likes

Oh the river of humor I could mine from that....

4 Likes

I believe that is called panning.

3 Likes

I think the keypad just got more flaky. I was able to wake it up the first time wearing a glove, but the keypad did it's "I'M A SIX" and reacted. We started again and were unable to wake the keypad up with or without gloves and ended up having to open it by the bluetooth app, but @zarthan, these are just for you. Once the new lock comes next week, I'll be serious about trying it again.
:rofl:

3 Likes

That would be horrible if you got locked out. That keypad does seem really flaky.

3 Likes

There is a reason I always carry a key, and will avoid a fully keyless house. That said, I may go keyless on the front door at some point - being locked out is no fun.

I'm fully keyless ...... got to keep a couple spare 9V batteries in the car and garage.

2 Likes

Yah, but let's not judge based on this one keypad. Let's see what the new one does. I've heard from others that theirs are rock solid, so I want to give it a chance. So far the customer service has been good and they have a new lock shipping. It'll be here probably Thursday. I just can't stop testing the features. Call it social distancing therapy.
:rofl:

4 Likes

That would explain my recent urge to rewrite most of the home automation rules!

2 Likes

The front door is keyed. And will remain keyed. Even if it is smart.

3 Likes