Multiple Bond Controllers Needed For IR Fans?

Good morning everyone,

Do I need to install a separate instance of the Bond application for each of my IR fans?

I have 7 rooms with ceiling fans and have untaken a project to replace the IR remotes with Bond controllers. Since they are IR fans, and; unfortunately, not RF fans I am guessing I will have to have a BOND controller in each room. This is where I need your guidance.

From what I can tell, it looks like I will need to install a separate instance of the Bond application to IP the units for each room containing each Bond controller. Is this even doable and the right approach?

As always appreciate your guidance.

Don

You are most likely correct here. With IR you would typically need line of sight between the sender and receiver. Having said that, sometimes you can get the signal to reflect on objects to get to the receiver. Your mileage will vary here.

You should only need one instance of the app. Within the app you can add several Bond devices. This is what my Bond app looks like after having adding only one Bond device (bridge):

A cheaper alternative to Bond would be Broadlink. You can get Broadlink mini for around $20 USD from AliExpress. The minis do IR, but if you want RF you need the pro. There is no official support on HE for them but there is community support: Broadlink IR/RF remotes integration (RM3 Mini, RM Pro, RM4 Mini/Pro)

I use a Bond bridge for my 10 motorised blinds in the house and I use two Broadlink minis for two TVs.

IR you say?

I wrongly posted this in a thread where RF was sought, but this might be up your alley.
I fooled around with it a little and turned on and off a Lasko electric heater.

1 Like

Haha I was just about to copy paste what you posted on mine

1 Like

Good morning everyone,

Thanks to everyone who responded. I appreciate your expertise and time in doing so.

I am going to take the route of using the BroadLink devices as I already have some familiarity with those devices. Thanks Mattias for the recommendation!!

Don

2 Likes

I used the broad link mini a while ago on my TV. It worked a treat and was extremely cheap at around £20. I've superceded it now with a Samsung TV via Amazon but my conclusion is that the BL Mini is a bargain

I am having a lot of success now with the BroadLink RM4 Pro(s). There are now seven throughout the house and successfully in HA controlling the TVs.

After testing several ceiling fan remotes I believe I have successfully found one that works with the BroadLink at a sweepFreq=433.860MHz. Will know more in a few days or so if multiple remotes can work harmoniously throughout the house.

• Don
1 Like