Motion Lighting Doesn't Work but simple does

There's nothing more I need. It's a mystery at this point. I can put a tiny bit more logging in. The only two conditions that would not turn on the lights from motion (looking at the code) are the instance is paused, or it thinks the light is on (it has a state variable that records this). I can add logging to reveal these two things.

If you can get it to fail, immediately look at the app status page. In the Application State section, look at a variable called "on". If that is true, then the app thinks the lights are on and won't turn them on. Actually, the thing to do is to look at it before you get it too fail. It should be false. This is turned true by the lights turning on, and false by them turning off.

1 Like

ok this helps. that sounds like it might be it.

that means that perhaps the lifx group of groups driver is not refreshing or getting latest data correctly I presume.

what's the diff between alreadyon and on?

"alreadyon" is used for the option called "Don't turn off if already on". "on" reflects the app's understanding of the state of the lights it is controlling.

1 Like

accidentally deleted my post

yep that is the cause. I just tested it and it didn't turn on. check state of app and it was set at "On = true"

kitchen lights turned off at 10:11:23 today

I walked into the kitchen at 10:12 (motion off in kitchen since 10:10)

but the kitchen app state said "On true"

so it seems the app is not getting the off state of the lights from this device type?

additional test just now:

kitchen lights turned off via hubitat (not manually through this app when it just worked)

and the state of the app did not change.

BUT the kitchen app had a scheduled job to turn light off still. when that finished running the state changed for on = false

if another automation in hubitat turns off the light. will the kitchen motion lighting app pick this up?

i don't have anything else running for it but i may have missed something. (smartthings hub has been unplugged for a day already so it's not that)

Try enabling Override in the Options for On section. See if that changes how it responds. Ordinarily, it is not listening for off.

1 Like

thank you. no other app is updating it so i need to work out what is actually turning it off.

you mean this setting?

yes

1 Like

So that seems to have made it worse not sure. in the kitchen the light doens't turn off. it goes to 20% brightness and doesn't respond anymore. we aren't changing it manually either.

So is this override meant to make it ignore the current state of the switch? it woudl be good to have that option is it doesn't exist .

No, override is meant to allow someone to prevent ML from changing the level if they change it themselves. Also select "for level only" option, so it will still turn off the lights if they are changed. Override also makes it listen for the light being turned off, which seemed to be your problem before.

Okay we'll try that. Something keeps bringing the kitchen lights to 24%. In day mode with same rules when it's set to 100

There are no other automations. Against this device. I cannot work out where it's coming from.

Would you expect it to say not turning on ? With settings below

Settings

I want it to turn on if the mode is right and motion detected etc. Regardless of switch state

@bravenel

Argh, your lights are reporting as they ramp up, thus causing the override to kick in. So you also need to select "Use physical level change for override".

1 Like

Ah so what was happening perhaps was it was detecting the switch going on (via a level up as you say) and thought it was being physically changed so stopped at 24%. It was always around that %

I'm surprised other lifx users have not had this issue.

Are you sure? What about in the life app?

Yep never used that for automations. Just scenes for morning and night that run once per day.

I thought maybe smart things had some ghosted ones and disconnected it to be sure as it still runs spruce irrigation for me. But it was still happening.

I actually think it is caused from motion lighting stopping midway when lifx reports switch on during transition but happy to be told I'm wrong

Will see how it goes with latest settings from Bruce and report back.

I am having the same issue with Motion lighting.
Mine are a mix of yeelight / hue lights and ikea bulbs on the hue hub.

Have you read this thread? Have you Tried enabling the three options for override?

I changed the dimmer to a switch like the other one.
My issue - is that of the 4 ML events I setup - they are randomly stopping working but the MS is still firing activity.
What does that have to do with enable on/off at time ?

Nah mate. I've circled the three switches. not enable on off at time. They don't control on off at time. Try just the first setting. And if it doesn't work try the first and second. And then all. Worked for my issue.

Actually it's more like try 1 and 2 then add the 3rd if it doesn't work. Unless you want the lights to not auto turn off if you/ driver adjusts the level.

1 Like