Monoprice Z-Wave Plus Series 700 Door/Window Sensor - Won't Connect

If they even have time to get them to work. The fact that they're not pairing to the c7 indicates they're not following proper z-wave specs. Even if they're unsupported, they should include. The fact that they don't even include points to a fundamental incompatibility that the manufacturer would have to address.

I suggest starting with the Compatibility list for known working devices.

Thanks @rlithgow1!

The one thing I find odd is that I can't find any reference to these sensor on the internet other than the Monoprice site and this thread. It is like you are the only one who has used them or something.

The https://products.z-wavealliance.org/Search/Index?regionId=2&searchText=monoprice site doesn't mention these. I can't find this device on the FCC ID site. Pretty much everything I have looked at is a strikeout.

Someone is making this device for Monoprice, and I am not sure who. I would be curious to open one up and see if there were any markings on the board as to who made it or what frequency it operates at.

My first guess would have been Eva Logic or Neo Coolcam, but this doesn't resemble anything they make. Nothing on Ali express seems to resemble this.

This sensor on Ebay is probably the same, but this was all I could find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/325121728298 but I don't see any clues as to model number or who made it.

So odd that it is being sold as Zwave Plus, yet there is no sign of this being a legit sensor anywhere.

2 Likes

Yeah I think something about it is off and that's why it won't pair.

1 Like

@rich.h It may be a long shot but what the heck. See if they'll pair as zigbee? Maybe they're mis-marked

1 Like

The alliance web page is not as good, or reliable, of a resource as it used to be.

After they separated from SiLabs, the Alliance rarely updates their device listings now. I've caught them at least 5 times not updating the page for devices I know exist and are certified.

It's a real shame, as that was a really strong differentiator from the chaos that are zigbee cert devices.

EDIT: While it doesn't help the OP, I would never pay $40 for a contact sensor. They are the simplest devices to make, and no way they should cost that. I would go for something like these. Almost half the price, in stock, and they definitely work with Hubitat:

But I realize that helps you not at all, since you already have the monoprice in hand.

3 Likes

Here is a pic of the device internals itself @neonturbo. Let me know if you have thoughts.
@JasonJoel - I did get these on sale for $24.99 a piece. I have several of the last generation monoprice contact sensor and they have been solid for me.
@rlithgow1 - I gave zigbee a shot and no joy. It does have the QR code (as seen in the picture, as well as a full DSK key on paper in the box as well.

1 Like

Did you try pairing it with the QR code? If so, did you try a normal pairing?

I've tried both with unsuccessful exclusions in between

Yeah at that point I'd say there is something fundamentally wrong with them

1 Like

do you know how to get an order thru thesmarttesthouse? every order i make is canceled within 5 minutes.

@agnes.zooz This again

I have the same first name and problem as the OP.
I have the SmartThings Hub V3 and can't add it to my hub either. I got 1 red led to blink when attaching a battery. But can't get it to blink for anything else. I tried triggering the magnet sensor 3 times in 5 second as well. I got 8 of these because they were on sale for $20 a piece.

We're you able to factory reset them?

I can't tell because I have to trigger the magnetic sensor 10 times in 10 seconds. And since there's no light to confirm anything......

The manual is on monoprice's website under product id 43303

I still have had no luck with the two I bought. I've followed the instructions to a T to both pair and factory reset these with no joy.

At that point I would just send them back.... or maybe see if you can send them to @bcopeland to figure out.

I made the mistake of ordering three of these. I did finally get them to pair...somehow. I had a hell of a time, but I think I figured it out.

I used SmartStart to scan the QR codes on all three. I think what the instructions miss is that there is a time limit on when you can get the device into pairing mode. The manual says to make sure the back of the sensor is installed, but I think what they mean is to install the back (so that the dry contact circuit is complete) and immediately trip the magnet sensor three times. When I did that, the sensor blinks a few times.
It still did not appear to work immediately. A couple minutes later, I checked the SmartStart screen on my phone and instead of pending, it said the device was added. Then and only then did the LED light up when the sensor was tripped.

So now I have all three devices installed, but they came into the system as Ring keypads. I switched them all to "Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor" and although the logs show that messages are coming through and being interpreted correctly, the device in Hubitat still seems to think it's a keypad.

I'd love to post screenshots, but this damned thing won't let me embed images.

Is there a way to go in and somehow force this device to behave like a door sensor?

In what ways does that appear to be the case? Maybe you'd want to switch to the "Device" driver and clear everything (current states, possibly state, etc.), then switch back to your desired driver--and hit "Configure" after (waking the device when or shortly after is likely a good idea, but no idea if that's in the manual).

I'd there is a Z-Wave Plus version of this driver, that might also work better, though either is probably fine (if it works). I'm assuming above that maybe you're just seeing "leftover" attributes.

1 Like

Aha! I changed the device type to "Generic Z-Wave PLUS Contact Sensor" and now the sensor reports door open/close events properly. It's still not displayed quite correctly in Hubitat (no Configure button or states), but that's fine. It works as a trigger now, and that's what matters most.