Monitor electric dryer

Nice rule. Going to copy it! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Well, that all sounds like good news... No SmartThings hub for me though, so not workaround there. But they have SOMETHING "talking" to SmartThings so there should be a way for it to work overall.

Thanks for the news.

Just picked up one of these hoping for some more integration than just Alexa. We are 100% Google home. Any more luck with porting over to hubitat?

Not that it helps with the integration part, but for anyone interested in a review of the SmartDry thing, it was the subject of a YouTube video from yesterday

There's no open API, and they have no intention to make one available. The only way to integrate these right now is using SmartThings + HubConnect.

Too bad, it looks like a pretty useful product otherwise.

I wonder if you could put something like a Xiaomi vibration and a Xiaomi temp/humidity sensor in a small project box and use that instead?

I really hope it becomes possible to integrate. Especially nowadays... with us home so much the home automation I have built up so far is getting more use. Being able to have visual reminders (and maybe even have a TTS) that the laundry is done would be handy.

1 Like

I've tried this without running the dryer. Drops off the network.

There are other hacks people have done with various things, or reading the power usage of the dryer, etc... but this seemed like such a simple thing and so easy to have a little page we could have checked on their module. Oh well.

1 Like

Wow, that's a lot of very expensive ways to know when a dryer is done! I connected a Sage Doorbell Sensor directly to the buzzer that sounds when the dryer is done. I go the sensor for $2.98 on eBay. " New Factory Sealed White Sage Doorbell Sensor, 206612 Security & Home By Hughes" eBay item 153881280378

Now, this required a voltmeter, and a basic understanding of circuits to know that my very old gas dryer was able to trigger the device directly, but another possible solution would be to use a vibration sensor to monitor the vibrations created by the dryer, and trigger when those vibrations stop, indicating that the dryer is done.

I have MANY Sage Doorbell devices... Does your dryer provide 24v ac (or I think 12v is acceptable) or did you figure out a DC connection that worked with the Sage? This was something I wanted to figure out but have not had a lot of luck and put that on the back burner. I have a LOT of uses for a little sensor like the Sage if I could trigger it via DC.

I was lucky - the buzzer itself is a 12-volt DC buzzer, so soldered wires in parallel with the buzzer, and ran them to a screw terminal block that I mounted on the back of the dryer with 3M Command strips. But mine is a Neolithic-age dryer, so your dryer may give you more trouble. A wiring diagram and a good voltmeter are your friends here.

The 12v dc is triggering the Sage? I tried that with one of mine and it never seemed to work. That is definitely one of the voltages I wanted it to trigger at.

On this dryer, it did. The Sage device is claimed to work on anything between 10 Volts and 24 Volts, so I'd guess that 12 volts should do the trick. But I just realized - doorbell transformers put out 12 or 16 volts AC, not DC!!

But the "DC voltage" out of the very very analog circuit that drives the buzzer on my drier clearly includes some peaks well above 12VDC, so it was likely a half-wave rectified "DC" voltage (that looked to the un-grounded Sage device like an "AC" signal.

Yeah, when I was trying I hooked it up to a beefy 12v DC power supply I had on hand... and nothing happened. It specifically says it takes AC, but when I looked up the chips that the wires connect to looked like they should trigger off DC also (which is why I tried it). Guess I will just have to give it another shot in the near future.

See my comment above - I edited it to correct my error. A Sage is an AC device, looking for an AC doorbell transformer output (12 - 24 Vac) to trigger it.

Sorry, yes, the buzzer was "DC", but it was being driven by a half-wave-rectified "DC" voltage, with the top half of the sine wave of an AC signal at 60 Hz.

1 Like

So this thread has me looking into the smart dry now.. random idea regarding getting it to notify with hubitat. would this be possible with tasker? i recall some time ago messing around with using notifications to trigger tasker events with virtual sensors back when was on ST. many of us have tablets being used for dashboards, can just setup using this to notify hubitat

i think i plan to just buy a aeotec power monitor thing and put one probe on the washer and one on the dryer

yeah its $100 but it seems to be the easy way to do it

for us non EE and programers types
for now my washer alerts on a power plug energy monitor

For monitoring my electric dryer (220v) I've been using a SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor attached to the side of my dryer to monitor vibration. I then use a Rule Machine App that monitors changes in the vibration and when it stops vibrating for a certain length of time the app will send my phone a notification. Seems to work pretty well and is inexpensive to implement.

For my washer (110v) I use a Securfi Peanut Smart Plug that monitors the power usage and when it drops below a certain threshold I get a notification.

I wonder if it's possible with an Alexa routine turning on a HE virtual switch? @snell has one. We should force him to test it out for us :rofl: