Mode manager

Does anybody actually use mode manager? I had it on Sunrise/Sunset and 8pm for evening but it showed DAY when I expected night. So I decided to add my own times:

It's 3:44am EST as I type...to me, this should still be evening but it's showing DAY. I'm being an idiot I guess because this should be an easy setup. What am I missing please?

The mode will not change (I believe) until the time occurrence happens.
So let's say it is set to day and the time is 11pm.
You set it up to change to night at 10pm.
It won't actually change to night as the trigger of 10pm has passed.
If you had set mode manager up at 9pm then at 10pm it would change.
This is my understanding anyway.
Personally I just use rule machine.
I can post the rule if you wish.

Thanks. You use the RM to change modes? If so, sure, I'd like to see please.

Here is my RM4.0 rule that I use for managing my modes.
The triggers I use are as follows :-
Presence changed - This is when we either leave or come home. The rule will trigger when the mode changes and change mode accordingly.
07:30 - When I change to Day Mode.
Sunset -20 - When I change to Evening Mode.
23:00 - When I change to Night Mode.
Every hour starting at 07:31 - This is just a belt and braces trigger that checks and ensures I'm in the right mode every hour.

In the rule, if presence is changes to Not Present then mode changes to AWAY.
All other triggers will not do anything if in AWAY mode as presence sensor is not present.
If mode is not AWAY then the other actions will change the mode according to the time.

Basically Mode Manager does the same but you cannot do the check every so often as I have done.
Also if you have more modes like PARTY TIME or GUESTS as some people have you can amend the rule to take into consideration things like that.
Hope this all makes sense. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for posting. I'll review. Why isn't mode manager changing automatically? That's the part I'm not getting. I dont really need to do much with presence (especially given the state of the world righht now). Is a TRIGGER required beyond the TIME to make mode changes? I really thoughtt this one would be pretty simple when I first installed it, lol.

Mode manager should be changing but as I said it only gets actioned when the times you have put in occur.
I believe when you change a time it basically needs to go through a full cycle of the times to get in sync.
There is a video about Mode Manager in the you Hubitat tube channel.

1 Like

I watched that...ok, I will delve into this as I honestly see great value in using IF, THEN statements within my RM for some rules I've already created. Thanks again for taking the time on this!!

Yes, I have used Mode Manager for 2+ years at this point. It has always worked very reliably for me.

In your Mode Manager screen shot from the first post, I see it is set up to ignore time changes when the mode is Away. What is your hub's current mode? If it is in Away that would explain why the mode is not changing based on time.

Usually, if you have the "Mode to ignore time changes: Away" feature enabled, once would see some presence sensors listed in the "Set Mode with presence" section. Since I don't see any specified, perhaps you should consider disabling the "Mode to ignore time changes: Away" feature?

I dont use away at all yet. I just wanted to understand Day, Evening, and Night first, lol. At the time moment it's set to DAY. I have never seen it set to AWAY. Since we've all been stuck in the house, I have become obsessed with HE, lol...to that end, I can definitively say that I have never seen away on MM. It just seems to stay on DAY and I usually have to update it before it changes.

1 Like

I was previously using mode manager for just home and away and using a GV for time of day. But as I included my time of day in more and more RM4s I noticed a general slow down in response time.

I reversed the setup and now have my home and away handled with a VS and have set up my mode manager as follows. It’s been a few weeks now and it’s need 100% reliable.

Looks like it should actually be "Night." :slight_smile: But either way, "Day" is a problem. You've received some good advice above, so I don't want to repeat anything, just add a couple points if you weren't aware:

• the mode name next to the Mode Manager app in the UI doesn't refresh dynamically. You'd have to reload the page to see it change, or you can check elsewhere in the UI like the chat-looking bubble in the upper right
  • mentioned above but worth stating again: Mode Manager won't change until the next scheduled time (and since you're not using Away, there should be no difference if you uncheck that setting, which you might want to try). When you click "Done," it will not use configured times to guess what mode you probably currently want.
  • there are ways to check jobs that Mode Manager has scheduled; rarely, this doesn't work for some apps, and going in and hitting "Done" will cause them to get recreated. This is unlikely (both in general; staff would hate to see this given out as typical advice, and I don't mean to do that here, either! ...and because you've already gone in and recreated the automation and had to have done the same). May be worth exploring if it still doesn't work.
  • is your hub's location (mostly matters for sunrise/sunset) and time zone set correctly? Settings > Location and Mode.

i like this. I'm a HE novice...so pardon the dumb question. I see your MM screen but what do you mean when you say "with a VS", a virtual-switch? what does that look like? Walk me through it like I'm in elementary school, lol, i will not take offense. :wink:

Actually i lied. Yes i did mean a Virtual Switch, but i actually changed it to a Virtual Presence device.

I set up a virtual presence for different rules to reference instead of referencing to my presence directly in case I want to add in a wifi presence and/or when my son comes back from school i can add his presence into the global vp.Home/Away variable.

I am using life360 for presence on my iphone8 an my RM4 rule is:

Going back to Mode Manager, i have a Virtual Button that will advance the mode from to night and this is set by my Bedtime routine if it is executed when the mode is evening:

I wanted to wait until this evening. Evening/Night worked perfectly. It's now 12am EST and my Hub says it's DAY ;-(

what am missing here??

Since logging is enabled, what do you see in the Past Logs for the Mode Mar App?

1 Like

What @ogiewon said.

And can you please confirm that your correct location is set under Settings/Location.

Just doing some browsing and stumbled on this thread.

Summary: remove mode manager, confirm location settings, and add MM back in & configure. Maybe a reboot in the middle somewhere would be a good idea.

1 Like

this is what i see in the log...at 12am it from from EVENING to DAY which should not have happened.

I recommend you reach out to support@hubitat.com.

ok, you guys can always answer so when you say go to support, I get worried. lol. I will do that, thanks