Mode manager reports away when all presence sensors are present

In the Hubitat Mode Manager, it is reporting away, even though all presence sensors report present, and return from away is to to ANY

Specifically, I have two presence sensors (Armand and Valerie) via Life 360. They correctly report
Presence state. However, the house is always in away mode. My setting in Mode manager is that away is when ALL sensors are away, and return from away is when ANY sensor is present.

Help....

Can you show a screenshot of each of the devices (Armand and Valerie)?
How long has it been acting up or has it ever worked? If you just configured this and neither device has changed status to yet, I would recommend setting it manually and then observing when your status in Life 360 changes.

The app is based on Events occurring (arriving or leaving). So, if that hasn't happened yet, then there would be nothing to trigger a change in the mode yet. The app responds when someone leaves or arrives. It isn't "stateful" where it constantly checks what the status of the two devices are.

If this hasn't worked for a while and you have left and returned can you show the logs for the app and the app's properties page?

It’s not the devices. They are changing state, and I receive my notifications from the notification manager, that I setup when presence sensors arrive and leave.

I set the mode manager to night mode last night, and now at 3pm it is still in night mode.

It has always worked then I noticed my alarm has been tripping the last few months when I come home and open the door. I thought it was Life360, but when I checked, that component is working fine, and is confirmed by the HE presence notifications.

Notice, I already removed the mode manager and reinstalled it, but not working.

So, it is also not changing mode by time? Then it is not related to presence. Do you have your location set correct for your hub? What location/timezone do you have it set to and what does the hub think the present time is (both can be found on the settings menu)?

Location is irrelevant. I dont use the Hubitat app because it doesn’t work well.

This is not a question on how to setup the system, I know how the system works, and have a few drivers and apps out there if my own. This is a bug in the system, or a corrupt internal setting.

I was really trying to get Hubitat support without reaching out to their support email, so that others could benefit if they are having issues like mine.

1 Like

Your timezone and the settings of the time on your system do in fact matter for anything that has to do with time. But since you don't seem to want to post any logs that are requested there is nothing that anyone can do to help you.

2 Likes

Time is relative. If my system thinks it is 10pm, and there is a mode that is triggered at 10pm, the timezone is irrelevant. And timezone has nothing to do with entering or leaving away mode.

I have two Life360 users (Armand and Valerie).

I have upgrade to the latest version of hubitat, removed, rebooted, and reinstall mode manager.

The configuration of Mode Manager is as follows:

Set mode based on time of day

Day: at Sunrise

Evening: at Sunset

Night: at 10:30PM

Mode to ignore time changes: Away

Set mode based on presence

Use time settings for return from Away for ANY of Armand, Valerie arrives

Away: All of Armand, Valerie leave

Mode Manager events:

As you can see, every event results in Day, but more is always in Away, and presence does not trigger an event on the Mode Manager.

Mode Manager Settings:

Here, you can confirm the value in the main rule interface.

Mode Manager Subscriptions:

As shown here, Valerie and Armand presence is being watched.

Mode Manager State and Schedules:

Armand’s presense history:

Valerie’s presence history:

As you can see, we were both home from 5:23pm (8-28-2020), until 7:16am when Valerie left (actually, Armand left and returned at 1:18am as I forced the presence state to away and back to try and trigger mode manager state change).

8-18@5:23pm Armand present, Valerie present, Mode = away
8-18@7:33pm (sunset for my home) Armand present, Valerie present, Mode = away
8-18@10:30pm (evening) Armand present, Valerie present, Mode = away
8-19@7:16am Armand present, Valerie away, Mode away
8-19@9:55am Armand away, Valerie away, Mode away
8-19@12:08pm Armand present, Valerie away, Mode away
8-19@3:47pm Armand away, Valerie away, Mode away
8-19@4:26pm Armand present, Valerie away, Mode away
8-19@5:12pm Armand present, Valerie present, Mode away

THE MODE IS ALWAYS AWAY!

@bravenel @mike.maxwell
It has been two weeks since I initially reported this via email support, and the only response has been that my reports of the issue are being merged to some elusive ticket, but no-one calls or emails. This update is a duplicate of my email update. I am desperate for a fix.

None of your screenshots show up.

No, you will have to post them here. Please use a desktop computer for these screenshots and logs. Take screenshots of logs, not copy paste.

I tried again, and this time they got linked correctly. I had to drag-drop instead of copy/paste.

I cannot give you logs, because show past logs only shows a limited amount of data, and only back a little ways (3:58pm today). I can no longer pull up today's or yesterday's logs. The gist of what is in the logs is the last Armand arrived home, and Valerie arrived home entries, as you can see here:

If this is a problem that only arose with the last release (which contained no changes to either Life360 or Mode Manager), you should roll back to a prior release to get this working again.

I have been having issues with this for several releases, but always assumed my HSM was tripping because of timing, and the few times I saw it was wrong, I just fixed the mode. It wasn’t until I was 1600miles away on vacation for over a week that it was affecting my wife that I really looked into it to learn it wasn’t HSM, but Mode Manager. I would t know how far back to downgrade to. I am happy to let you into the system to pull whatever you need. I will switch over to rules to manage mode once you know the cause.

I have the same issue with my hub as I've reported here:

I think this might be my issue too... that if I manually set my mode that it will switch modes until I leave the house and it goes to away. I will run a test today to confirm.

Actually it does. If the time is incorrect on your hub, your sunrise and sunset times will be incorrect. The hub uses a combo of your timezone along with your long/lat to determine when sunset and sunrise are. And since you are setting modes based on Solar events, not just stock times, then timezone and location matter vary much.

Yes, the time would be incorrect, but it would still switch modes relative to the time of the HE. And time does not impact away mode -- presence does -- because I don't have a time schedule for away mode.

But in order for your hub to determine what mode to return to, it has to have the timezone and location set correctly. Otherwise it will not know when sunset and sunrise are. And if it doesn't know that, then it can't return you to Day or Evening mode.

That wouldn't make sense as stated. In order for the hub to return to the CORRECT mode, it has to have the timezone and location set correctly. With the wrong timezone/location info, it will return to the wrong mode, but it will still return. You can verify this in the mode manager's state variables, as you will see it not only know if you are away or not, it also tracks what mode it thinks it should be in based on the time of day. And the mode is still based on the relative time/location within the HE.