Mode lighting not firing

Can anyone show me a working mode lighting example, I want to turn on 2 lights in the evening and nothing I try works.

You can't have the device that is being controlled by the automation also be a controlling switch for the automation. You have the rule set to turn the automation on with Living Room Lamp and Off With Living Room Lamp. But then you want the automation to turn on Living Room Lamp. That isn't going to work.

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to get the living room lamp and Living room mood (which I don't understand as a device name) to 50% when the house turns to evening mode?

Also, you do not need to set level and turn the switches on separately. Setting the level is enough and will turn the devices on unless you have Level Pre-staging (where available) turned on for these devices.

What type of devices are these?

Both hue bulbs, well mood is the hue light strip behind the TV.

Yes, I initially tried just setting the dimmers to 50 and nothing else, that didn't work

So should this work?

You simply want to remove the options you have for turning on and for turning off. These two options are used to indicate what methods you use to also turn on the lights that you want this app to recognize as part of the automation and not a manual control. Having the device themselves listed isn't going to help.

Also, if you want the app to adjust the level if the light is already on, you have to specify that in the options as well.

UPDATE: That should work, but since these are Hue bulbs, you might also want to specify the colortemp. If they were last on at a specific color setting, that is the color they will turn on when you set the level only.

1 Like

Do you know which option that is?

You'll see it right there...it says "Adjust level". It's a toggle switch.

1 Like

Evening mode triggered at 5pm, no lights on though.

Logs show nothing at 5pm

I also don't see evening mode triggering at 5pm. You're sure that the mode changed?

Yeah, it's set to Evening

The mode lighting app doesn't have an option to enable logging anyway so probably why it's not showing.

Mode lighting clearly isn't working for me, I'll try Rule Machine instead.

Am I doing this right in Rule Machine

Yesterday, when Mode=Evening, this happened

Do you have these lights controlled by another other rules/automations? Can you show the In-use-by for these two devices?

Nope, not use in any other rules/automations, where do you access 'in-use-by' from?

The edit device page. And the two lights in question have to be controlled somewhere else. Something is setting the light to 1% because this rule isn't.

Both show this

I've updated the Rule to include color temp, i'll see how it goes tonight

But this rule doesn't set the level of the two lights.

Can you show a complete screenshot for one of of the two devices please?

Lamp is 70, Mood is 50, the action is Color Temp and Level

Okay...so this is a Hue Bridge bulb....so, do you have anything else interfaced to your hue bridge that would cause the lights to be set that way? Also, what type of lights are these? Are they CT lights or are the RGBW lights?

No nothing else, Lamp is CT, Mood is RGBW.

Evening Mode will trigger in an hour, i'll see how that goes.

This is a repost from another thread that has not gotten any answers, so I wanted to ask it here:

Did you guys make heads or tails about how to properly use the Mode Lighting App?

This is my setup:

I interpret that as when the Overhead Lights are triggered (Kasa Smart Dimmer), it should turn on along with the 3 undercabinet lights (Yeelight light strips) and set all their collective brightness based on the mode. Also if the mode changes and the lights are on, adjust the brightness. Finally, if the switch turns off (Kasa again), then turn everything off.

Does this interpretation seem right to you guys or am I missing something?

Update: Upon further testing this does seem to be the correct interpretation of what it should be doing, and it does work for the "lights off" portion, just does not for the "lights on" portion which is very odd. My hypothesis is that there is an issue in the backend that we can't see within app in regards to being triggered by the switch's "on" state and turning the lights on accordingly, because again, the off part works perfectly. I hope some of the devs see this and can fix it because this app would simplify a few of my rules greatly, as well as eliminate a lot of useless scenes.

Kitchen Kasa Dimmer Event Log:

Mode Lighting Event Log: