Help with Mode Lighting

I don't know if I am not understanding Mode Lighting or if mine is not working properly. I am using Mode Manager to change modes and that is working just fine. At Sunset it turns to Evening mode, 9:00 it turns to Bedtime, and Midnight it turns to Night.

I have my Front Porch lights set to turn on at 50% at Evening, 25% at Bedtime, and off at Night. None of that works. If I run a rule to turn on the light at Sunset the light will turn on at 50%, but then it never decreases in brightness or turns off. If I need to make a rule for every light and every change in mode, then why have mode lighting?

Apparently I am doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated.

I don't use mode lighting. I couldn't find it, so I assume that it's a 3rd party app that I don't have, but you could use simple lighting or rule machine to do the same things you're asking mode lighting to do. If it were me, I'd investigate the option for lights on and off and see what that offers. If it's not working, that's the only reason I could see, but again I don't have it loaded. I do all my rules in the built in apps.

Mode Lighting is an option under Motion Lighting, one of the Hubitat apps.

1 Like

OH will you look at that. I found it. haha. I'll check it out

One of the things I am trying to resolve with the Mode Lighting is the flashing of the lights. Say the lights were at 100%, then the mode is supposed to start at 0% for a morning wake up. They turn on at 100% and then dim to 0%

I have an app called ‘Mode Switch’ which can easily do this.
You can configure it to set any light/dimmer which it triggered by mode
It will be available again soon on my website.

Did you check out the documentation on it?
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Motion_Lighting
There are pretty explicit examples there.

1 Like

April, I looked at that but that is all motion lighting. I also have 1 motion light configuration and that one works fine. Well I think I need to adjust the location of the motion sensor.

1 Like

I wish I could be of more help. I base a lot of my rules on motion, and use probably more motion sensors than I should. I use zone motion and rule machine to accomplish that in most rooms.

What are you using for motion sensors? I have a Bosch, but it is a bit big and bulky. I am looking for something small and inconspicuous so I can put it in the Master Bath without spousal complaint.

I use a lot of the Iris motions. And my understanding is that you can't get them any more. The person that usually sold them is completely out. I've seen that the smartthings are pretty well liked around here too. They're smaller in size.There are a few threads asking just that question as of late. If you search out motion sensor in the community, you should come up with something. If I need any more sensors, then I will probably go with the smartthings one. There are several out there depending on your needs, though. In the bathroom maybe an aeotec 6 to track humidity as well? They are very chatty, though. Also I've been watching the new zooz and inovelli multis. So far no complaints about those, but I do like that you can change the reporting frequency on all of the attributes. The aeotec is limited in that manner. Something to think about, though.

[EDIT]
Also something to think about . The zwave sensors are going to be slower than the zigbee because of how communication works. That will definitely change your decision based on your needs.

Did you guys make heads or tails about how to properly use the Mode Lighting App?

This is my setup:

I interpret that as when the Overhead Lights are triggered (Kasa Smart Dimmer), it should turn on along with the 3 undercabinet lights (Yeelight light strips) and set all their collective brightness based on the mode. Also if the mode changes and the lights are on, adjust the brightness. Finally, if the switch turns off (Kasa again), then turn everything off.

Does this interpretation seem right to you guys or am I missing something?

Update: Upon further testing this does seem to be the correct interpretation of what it should be doing, and it does work for the "lights off" portion, just does not for the "lights on" portion which is very odd. My hypothesis is that there is an issue in the backend that we can't see within app in regards to being triggered by the switch's "on" state and turning the lights on accordingly, because again, the off part works perfectly. I hope some of the devs see this and can fix it because this app would simplify a few of my rules greatly, as well as eliminate a lot of useless scenes.

Kitchen Kasa Dimmer Event Log:

Mode Lighting Event Log:

I ended up going with Scenes and a rule to turn on the scene at a certain time.

Yeah that's what I'm doing currently, just this app is way more streamlined so it would have been nice to use, I hope some of the devs see this thread and can advise.

Anyone figure this out yet? I am using motion lighting and it works fine but mode lighting does absolutely nothing. There isn't even an event in the logs.

I went over to this thread, and got responses from a staff member, I would check there and see if it helps.

Yeah I understand now mode lighting isn't designed for what I am trying to do. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.