Mode changing when away

I think that I found the live stream. It's from Oct. 15 2019. I'm watching it now. So, I'll see if there is anything in that video to help me out. Thanks for the direction!

1 Like

One often given piece of advice is that if Mode Manager is working funky, it is often easier to remove the whole app and start again. I am not sure if that would be my first step, but you will probably see that if you search for "Mode Manager problem/issue" on this board.

I do think you are using modes basically the right way, that thermostat is a perfect use case for modes. When home do "X", when away do "Y".

2 Likes

That’s true, except mode manager has an option to ignore time-based mode changes while in certain modes, typically away mode, and it appears as though @BrandonT has that option enabled. So I’m also uncertain why this is happening, but agree with @neonturbo that perhaps removing and reinstalling the instance of mode manager is worth a shot to see if that corrects whatever went wrong.

3 Likes

After watching the video that @sburke781 recommended, one difference I had from Bruce's settings was that I didn't have "use time settings for Return from Away" checked. Everything else was set the same except for my virtual "sleepy time" switch... which bruce did with a pico remote "button", basically the same idea. I'm not sure if toggling this switch will change from "Away" mode or not. I've been playing around with setting the device settings for presence and everything seems to be working as expected so far... I guess I'll wait to see if changing occurs when we are both "away" again which is hard to test unless I catch it right at sunset or sunrise.

1 Like

Turn the phones off for a couple minutes to see if it triggers away?

The night mode doesn't work the way that I want it to through the virtual switch... That's not my biggest concern right now, I can just change how I use and set up that virtual switch. The Phone presence seems to be working fine. Now, I just need to test if it comes out of Away mode at sunrise or sunset when we are both away.

Early morning stroll.... :grin:

1 Like

Waking up before sunrise is unlikely at best. I'll check it out tomorrow evening. Then again... maybe I'll stay up until sunrise... that is not uncommon.

1 Like

Okay, well... the mode is still changing to day mode when we are both away. So something is broken. I guess the next step is to remove and reinstall the mode app?

Without seeing everything that you have set up to change mode it’s a little hard to answer, but the investigation would need to look at Mode Manager, any apps that you have installed that may change mode, and any rules that you have set up to change mode. I’ve seen a lot of people try to use presence to turn off Away mode, so that would be the first thing I’d look at - compare your presence events to the mode changes.

1 Like

Well, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Mode Manager app and I'm still having this issue. When I leave, Mode Manager changes it's mode to "Away" but when the time changes for "Evening" or "Day" Mode, Mode Manager ignores the fact that we are away and changes the Mode. In the settings, I have "Away" as a mode to "ignore time changes".
The only thing I'm using mode manager for is the Thermostats. I'm pretty frustrated at this point. It's either user error or a bug.

So, I went on vacation this past week and I'm still experiencing problems with Mode Manager. I've pretty much removed anything outside of my thermostats from referring to Mode Manager for anything. But, I don't see how I can use anything other than Mode Manager to deal with my Thermostats in the way that I want/ need.

Here is the problem that is persistent:
Both my wife and I are "away" and the hub sees us as "away" and I know this because of the dashboard tile showing us as away. Everything works that way until a time of day changes the mode to "Day", which is set to change at 11:00am every day. Since my last post here, I've tried to simplify Mode Manager and have eliminated "Evening Mode" So that I only have "Day Mode" which starts at 11:00am, "Night Mode" which starts with a virtual button, and "Away Mode" which is triggered by both my wife and I leaving the house. All that I want/ need is for the hub to stay in "Away Mode" whenever both my wife and I are not at home and to ignore the "Day Mode" any time we are not at home and 11:00am rolls around. I don't understand why this is not working as expected. I've deleted and then reinstalled "Mode Manager" and followed the live video following Bruce's settings. Can anyone see anything wrong with my programing of Mode Manager?

Thanks!!

Bump

Help! Anyone?

Have you tried this?

Go into the "based on time of day" menu and scroll down to the very bottom. There should be a drop-down that says "Select mode to ignore time changes". Choose away mode and save.

I already selected “away” as a mode to ignore time changes.

@BrandonT - apparently Rule Manager (RM) works on events, not conditions (Rule for when ALL phones leave, not any phones leave - #4 by bravenel). You had mentioned being on vacation for >1 day. Perhaps RM didn't detect a "leave" event? Enable logging on everything.

Also, how are you connecting to your hub from remote? The Hubitat Remote Admin, or your own VPN? If the latter, do you have any presence sensors that are based on IP? Because if you use your own remote access VPN, your phone essentially is on the same LAN as the hub and perhaps something thinks you're home when you connect to it?

1 Like

What do you mean by "enable logging on everything"? On every device and app? That's a lot!
I am not remote accessing my hub outside of the Hubitat app via the dashboards. I do not have a VPN set up.
I'll have to check more on the Rule you linked to, but I'm not using RM for this, I'm setting the mode based on both phones leaving. There is an option for that in the Mode Manager App.

Did you ever get this to work?
I'm using a combination of presence sensors and the phones and Mode Manager is still ignoring the Don't change to Day / Night based on Sunrise/Sunset when set to Away.