Missing option in Motion Lighting App?

Also, the only things that are ever going to show up under "Scene" selection in Hubitat are scenes built with the hubitat Groups / Scenes app. That is the only way that hubitat knows they are a scene. Any scene you create in any other way will not recognize that as a scene.

Yes they are...but your scenes are not scenes. You are really making this so much more complicated than it is.

1 Like

Gotcha. So if I want to send a command to set an effect (like I would with the dashboard), then I have to use rule machine. Eh, well it was on my list of things to screw around with today!

Thanks... I appreciate the help and Happy New Year!

BTW - I do think that the Motion Lighting App should have the same settings for both it's options (Motion Lighting and Mode Lighting), so I would recommend that the devs add the option to set Scene per Mode in the Mode Lighting portion of the app to be consistent with the Motion Lighting portion. :slight_smile:

Who said anything about rule machine?!?! What are you talking about?

The whole point is that everything is per mode. Why would scenes be any different. You can do this from Mode Lighting....if you had an actual scene I would show you.

I was trying to do two things in my entryway: set a specific scene with my Hue lights, and send a set effect command to my Nanoleaf. I can see that I can create the scene in Hubitat to match the existing Hue scene, but I can't do the same thing with Groups and Scenes for the Nanoleaf.

The Nanoleaf effects are similar to, but not the same as, Scenes. I can't simply set a color.

How do you control the Nanoleaf from Hubitat?

Via the dashboard. If you look at the screenshot for the device, you will see the "Set Effect" command as well as the list of lightEffects on the right side.

But that's not a scene. As I have already pointed out.

That requires more that simple light, mode lighting or motion lighting can handle You have to use RM to do that because it requries the use of a custom command to the device.

The stock Hue integration doesn't support Hue scenes. As far as I know it will only import Hue groups. I believe CoCoHue will import the Hue scenes which you can control via a button or switch. Take a look at this and see if it will support what you are trying to accomplish. @bertabcd1234

1 Like

They will still not be Scenes in Hubitat. I want that to be clear. Hue Scenes are NOT Hubitat scenes. So, these will not show up under "Select Scenes per mode" or anywhere else you select a scene in hubitat.

Yes, that's why I said I will have to use Rule Machine. But I didn't know that until we had this conversation. None of that is why I posted; I wanted to know why the Scenes per Mode dropdown was present in part of the Motion Lighting App (Create New Motion Lighting) but absent in the other part (Create New Mode Lighting). However, because of this conversation, I now know I need to create the scenes for my Hue lights in HE (or import them: thank you @JNS ) and I will have to use RM for my Nanoleaf.

Copy, and thank you.

I would still recommend not importing your hue scenes with coco hue and instead creating them separately in hubitat. There have been issues activating the imported scenes and then getting them to turn off as well.

Gotcha. The Hue scenes aren't nearly as important to me ATM as the Nanoleaf lighting effects.

One user reported the former problem, and it was user error (I think creating a Hubitat scene that was supposed to activate the Hue scene but didn't actually include the Hue scene device to turn on or push).

I wouldn't say there are "issues" getting scenes to turn off--they just don't because that's not a thing Hue scenes support, but the device has to implement off() because that's part of the Switch capability they do implement (which makes it usable in slightly more apps than just the button capability would, but I do understand why people are confused on this). The closest you could do is turn off the associated group if the Hue scene happens to be a GroupScene (basically, associated with a room or zone in the v3 Hue app). I see few ways around this if they don't, aside from polling the Bridge to get associated lights and turning them off one-by-one, which I'm not interested in doing at this time.

Creating Hubitat scenes using Hue Bridge lights or groups is an alternative that would allow/on off but suffers from the disadvantage of manipulating individual bulbs rather than activating a scene immediately with one group broadcast (the Bridge does this for you behind the scenes and is why all lights change instantly, with no "popcorn effect" or rate limiting as you'll be subject to). But if it's not too much work, I'd probably recommend starting out with Hubitat scenes first and see if they work. That being said, a bulb effect is usually not a scene, so Hue or Nanoleaf, you might be looking for a different way to accomplish this...

If all your lights are hue lights, then yes, that would work.

I am curious though...why does the hue scene have to be an RGBW device? Shouldn't it just be a button in Hubitat?

It isn't--it's this:

capability "Actuator"
    capability "Configuration"
    capability "Refresh"
    capability "Switch"
    capability "Light"
    capability "PushableButton"

(I'm not really sure "Light" needs to be there since it's the same as "Switch" in what it requires to be implemented, but I'm not aware of where this really matters.) There should be anything in there that gives it color or color temperature capabilities. If I'm missing something that makes this show up in an undesirable way, let me know!

I'm all for the idea of it being just a button, but making it also a switch allows it to be used in apps that are only looking for switches to turn on, not buttons to press (obviously this adds the complication with the "off" side of things). With some users moving from Hue B Smart which also implemented it in this way (which I should note also has an off() command that doesn't do anything), I thought it would also be wise to stay consistent with that.

Well, either that or the scene could just automatically shut itself off after 5 seconds, allowing the user to activate the scene by turning it on again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.