Missing option in Motion Lighting App?

Hi! I am another ST convert. My HE is setup and the devices seem to be going along smoothly (for the most part), so I am now in the process of converting old rules and updating them with the increased functionality that previously I only got from webCoRE. :slight_smile:

Working with the Motion Lighting App, I noted that under the Motion Settings, I can select specific Scenes per Mode; however, I don't see the option to choose a particular Scene when creating a Mode (as opposed to Motion) lighting. Am I missing something? I'd like to set certain scenes on Mode changes.

Thanks and Happy New Year all of you!

Then you would use Simple Lighting instead of motion lighting. :slight_smile:

Hi @Ryan780! Thanks for the quick response, but that doesn't help me. I want to set Scenes. I don't see a way to do that in the Simple Lighting App. The Motion Lighting App does have this functionality, but only when setting by Motion and not by Mode, again, unless I am missing something.

If you go to "Create New Motion Lighting App" in the Motion Lighting App, you find this:

If you go to "Create New Mode Lighting App" in the Motion Light App, you don't find the option to select scene per mode. This is what I am looking for.

You would turn on the scene's virtual device. Every scene automatically gets a virtual switch that is the Scene's controller. Turning the switch on activates the scene.

So, in simple lighting, simply choose the switch for the scene you want to activate.

Plus, motion lighting is always going to be about motion. Adding a trigger of mode changes would make it no longer motion lighting. The whole point is that everything in motion lighting is about motion triggering the lighting. If you want to trigger it based off something else you have to use a different app. In this case, either simple lighting or rule machine will work.

I don't see any virtual devices for scenes in the simple light app. And you are aware that Mode Lighting is a separate part of the Motion Light App, yes? Or am I wrong about this?

You said motion lighting.

You don't see a switch with the same title as your scene under switches to turn on per mode?

And under "switches to turn on by mode" you don't see a switch with the same name as your scene?

Because I see mine.

In the Simple Lighting App or Mode Lighting in the Motion Lighting App?

Either. It will appear everywhere in hubitat that you can pick a switch. Because that's what the scene controller capabilities include.

No. In the Simple Lighting App, I have no scenes listed, either by switch or as a separate dropdown.

In the Motion Light App, if I create a New Motion Lighting App, I get a dropdown for Scenes by Mode.
If I create a New Mode Lighting App, I don't get that dropdown.

Screenshots in a second. Hang on.

No...not a separate dropdown. I said in the dropdown "switches to turn on".

Let's try this a different way...what is the name of your scene?

You won't get that dropdown. I said to look in the "SWITCHES TO TURN ON" dropdown.

You see this in your mode lighting app? Switches to turn on by mode? In that listing there will be a device with the same name of your scene, if you have created a scene in the Groups/Scenes app.

But I maintain....if you want to simply activate a scene when the mode changes to a particular mode, simple lighting is easier to use.

I don't have any scenes listed in the Simple Lighting App under switches (or any other dropdown).

I don't have any scenes listed in the Motion Lighting App under switches.

I get a dropdown in the Motion Lighting App under Create New Motion Lighting (but not Create New Mode Lighting) for Scenes per Mode; however, I don't have any scenes listed.

So I clearly we've identified part of the problem; my scenes aren't showing up here.

And BTW: thank you for sticking with me so far...

I do see the scenes for the devices (both Nanoleaf and Hue) and can set them from my dashboard.

How were these scenes created in Hubitat? With the built in Groups and Scenes app? Can you find the scene on the device listing? If so, can you show me the edit device page of the scene?

I've not created them in Hubitat at all.... maybe that's my problem. I wanted to set the scenes / effects for using the Hue bridge and the Nanoleaf's light effects.

Is this something that I am going to have to build in Rule Machine?

Wait....you don't have the scene already built? How do you have a scene device? Have you imported them from your Hue bridge with CoCo Hue?

Also.....please listen to me very carefully....scenes, in the hubitat context, always refers to scenes created in the built in "Groups and Scenes" app. If you are referring to other types of scenes, you should ALWAYS be specific about what you are referring to.

So, basically, you're trying to set up a rule to activate something that doesn't exist yet?!? Why?

That is not the full Edit device page. Please provide a complete screenshot.

Also, the only things that are ever going to show up under "Scene" selection in Hubitat are scenes built with the hubitat Groups / Scenes app. That is the only way that hubitat knows they are a scene. Any scene you create in any other way will not recognize that as a scene.

Yes they are...but your scenes are not scenes. You are really making this so much more complicated than it is.

1 Like