Migration C5 to C8 issue

You are looking for the table itself? Will need to send that later tonight as this hub does not yet have remote admin.

You are currently remote from the hubs? Remote Admin is not required to view/screen cap the Z-Wave Details page table.

Unfortunately I am not seeing the hub at all from this remote location on my iPhone. It just does not connect to it from here - I will get the table snapshot later today though.

Whenever you do it, please take the snapshot using a desktop browser. The table is not easy to read using a screenshot from a mobile browser.

2 Likes

This :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

Really hard to read/help you from a mobile cap.

2 Likes

Is this what we need?

The "north lamp" and "brine" named outlets are not presently plugged in. There are two other below this on the list - same thing - they presently are not plugged in

Thanks...is there a reason those devices are unplugged? When you're trying to solve Z-Wave problems generally you should have all of your Z-Wave devices plugged in so you don't create additional issues w/missing devices. Best to confirm everything is working as expected together.

But what's there looks good, and everything that's powered up has direct routing so the unplugged devices won't affect them. But I would plug the other ones in if you're planning on using them in the future. If not, then I'd exclude them.

Can you control all the plugged in devices from their Device pages?

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response -

No - not every "plugged in" style device works nor does a few of the in-wall switches. The plug ins - are seasonal and I don't have ready access to them all. However I did find one and plugged in that one (North Lamp) and it is working right out of the box.

Plugged in outlets that are known issues:
-Curio
-North Lamp - Worked when I plugged it in and sent the z-wave table -- and 10 minutes later don't work!!
-Greenhouse

Leviton switches not working:
-Back Porch
-Driveway
-cabinets

14 units on tiles - remove 4 not plugged in (Brine, Christmas, Sump) means over 50% of the tiles that should be active don't function. (And this was a successful migration?)

Am I to assume with the Z-wave all looking ok - the main box is defective?

Literally EVERY device has stopped working now

OK - Rebooted the hub and a couple that were active that stopped - came back online,

The ones that never worked not he C8 - remain not working on the C8Pro-

Outlet: Curio
Switches: Overheads, Cabinets, Driveway

Just to confirm - does "rebooted" mean just a reboot, or below:

Devices that didn't work on the C8 would be generally expected to also not work on the C8-Pro, since the hubs are the same except for memory and processor speed. Migration is not a problem fixer, unfortunately, it can only bring the current state on one hub over to another hub.

So you're saying that the devices in the screen shot above that show 100kpbs connections to the hub aren't working, specifically, that you can't control them from the devices page on the Device tab?

For now, don't involve tiles/dashboards, just focus on results when controlling the devices directly from their Device pages.

Relatively unlikely , since you have a mix of Z-Wave devices that are working and not working. More likey something related to your mesh or to the devices.

Correct - and since I wrote this - ALL devices have again stopped functioning.

I will stay with the devices page over the tiles,

Yes to the re-boot procedure as you outlined with shutdown and unplug.

My migration is a C5 to C8 Pro. Everything works on the C5 (or did until this morning). The devices that failed on the C8 Pro remain failed at all times so far. Other devices have worked and now twice stopped working

About 4.5 years back, you posted one time with respect to a similar issue that I assume you were having with your then 'new' C-5 hub. I suggested updating the firmware on your Leviton devices. I never heard back from you. What happened? Did you find a way to update the Leviton Z-Wave firmware?

Just curious if the same issue is re-rearing its ugly head, or if this is something completely different? The Z-Wave radio has gone from a 500 series in the C5 to an 800 series in the C8/C8Pro. Could be something to do with that as well. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Funny you mention the C5 start-up - as I read backward yesterday and found that same post, I don't recall if it leveled out on its own or if I went around and re-paired the devices?

Diffferent from then - Devices currently working, then stop working till the hub re-boots, Then working again,

The routes on C5 are built to avoid missing devices whereas C8 is spinning its wheels trying to map the nodes but because some of devices are not responding it's freezing. Rebooting will make things worse.

One way to avoid further issues would be to go back to C5, exclude unplugged devices, run a full repair to make sure the network is functional, run a new cloud backup, then migrate again.

1 Like

Did you ever try updating the Leviton Z-Wave firmware on each device?

3 Likes

I am sure I did not do the update

Ok. Solved. I am done.

Tried an exclusion on a device on the C8 pro- excluded as planned. Tried many times to do an inclusion - fail, fail, fail, fail etc.

Went to The C5 to do the same. Excluded fine. Included first attempt. The C8pro has issues.

Thanks again all.

I experienced everything that you have described initially and tried almost a month waiting for migration fixes that worked. Ultimately I decided to move forward and recreate the entire Z-Wave network again from scratch. I am only about 50% through that work because over 40 of my devices are Z-Wave light bulbs (many hard to get to). I have taken this time to update the firmware on all my devices as they are migrated. The positive side-effect is that my network is clean and robust now, and surprisingly itโ€™s kind of fun doing things better than I did them before with some of the apps and automations along the way of the rebuild. From a conversion standpoint, super frustrating. Had some help along the way, but was always trying to track resources down and tagged messages would go unheard. Currently I have the C-5 with the radios off and the C-8 Pro working great. C-5 is just running for reference (Device Names and Settings etc) as itโ€™s easier to copy/paste) side-by-side. I wish you luck with your own journey.

3 Likes

Honestly for most of us it has few issues. I would do as recommended by everyone here and update the firmware on your switches then re pair with the c8. While the c8 is generally backwards compatible with 700, 500, and 300 devices, the firmware on some of those devices need to be updated because the manufacturers only did the bare minimum, or took short cuts etc so because of that sometimes they have issues. A great example of this are Schlage locks. Older firmwares are a crap shoot and forget about any 300 z-wave chip stuff. Because Schlage won't release updates, a lot of these devices have been left behind or they run on older hubs.

Now some say, well I don't have a problem with ST or HA.,... Well that's because ST is still using 500 series chips and HA has their own z-wave stack that they can fudge. Hubitat on the other hand has to follow z-wave specs in order to maintain certification (for zigbee as well).

1 Like