Migration C5 to C8 issue

Received the C8. Updated both to the latest firmware. Did a backup on the C5 that I restored to the C8. About 60% of the devices are working
Manually. The rest are not responding (switches and dimmers) I went back to the C5 as I wanted the simple automations to work and I was not sure the non functioning devices would?

Is there a better migration step by step instruction someplace?

Am I better to exclude and re-pair all the devices that did not import in the backup?

Thanks in advance.

here is the migration guide:

3 Likes

That’s the steps that I initially followed that had mixed success. I will reset the C8 Pro and start again. I see there is a firmware update today so I will update them first.

1 Like

Frustrating. Reset the C8 Pro hub. Updated to the .128 firmware on the C5 and C8 pro. Made a fresh backup on the C5. Completed the migration task yet the same switch’s - about half of them don’t respond. Should have followed my gut instinct and not upgraded. Anything I can do other than reset every one of the switches (return the C8 pro hub? :wink:)

Did you do a Z-Wave Repair on the C-5 before the backup?

1 Like

It did not ask that but I will do that now. There is not update button so assume that it is up to date.

Thanks.

What types of devices do you have attached to your C-5 hub? Are the problem devices Z-Wave, Zigbee, or LAN based?

What country do you live in? If not in North America, and you are using Z-Wave devices, do you have an external USB Z-Wave radio plugged into the C-5 hub? If yes, then what type of USB Z-Wave radio is it? Not all external USB Z-Wave radios are supported via the Hub Migration process.

Details can be found here about supported migration paths

2 Likes

In the USA. Almost all the devices are just Leviton wall switches / dimmers or those portable plug in outlet or appliance module devices.

I believe the Leviton devices would all be Z-Wave, correct? Are any of these the ones having problems after the migration?

Are the "portable plug in outlet or appliance module devices" also Z-Wave? Or are they Zigbee? Or something else, like LAN/WiFi? Are any of these devices having issues post migration?

Just trying to determine if the issue is specific to Z-Wave? Or Zigbee? Or something else?

If all Z-Wave, please share complete schreenshot(s) of your Z-Wave Details page from the Hub's Z-Wave Settings web page. Those with lots of Z-Wave experience will want to see that data to help understand where the problem might be.

So rebuilt the z-wave, made new backup. Still failed. Same result of the switches that would not connect before still won’t connect.

All of the switches are z-wave. Some work some don’t. All of them work great on the C5. 50 % fail on the C8 pro

Can you clarify What do you mean by above?

Went to the z-wave and chose z-wave and selected “repair”

Thanks. I can't remember - does the C5 Z-Wave Details page show Routes in the last column?

Not in the phone app version

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same PC and phone. It would be helpful to see if there are any issues w/Z-Wave Details on your C5 that might be OK there but are stumbling on the C8.

Also, try below on the C8 after migration if you haven't yet:

1. Settings Shut Down
  2. Pull power from the hub
  3. Wait 30s
  4. Plug in again and let it boot up

See if things look any better...

That did not work :slightly_frowning_face:

I wonder if I trigger a z- wave repair on the now migrated C8 pro might work?

YOu can try that - I would do it individually by device so you don't throw a bunch of stuff at your mesh all at once.

1 Like

IMO it’s worth a shot. When I migrated I had toggle every switch to get route information to show up. But a repair may shortcut that. Give you have migrated a few times already this might be worth a shot.

2 Likes

But when you migrated, your devices were working, but just missing the routing info, right? His devices aren't working...