Migrating to Hubitat

I have been a long time home automation user through the homeseer platform. I have purchased my first hubitat hub (C8). I am planning to adventure into the hubitat universe. I have a few questions.
First of all I have an interesting setup in my home theater. I utilize multiple contact closures for what is called a "Projector list" and roller shade automation. I was using UPB with this purpose. I am now switching to Z wave specifically the Zen16. In homeseer the Zen16 is basically seen as a simple switch (on/off) unless I change it to a momentary contact. In the homeseer realm, a person build events. The event will utilize delays and turn things on/off including set my Denon receiver to a specific volume level.

So after that longwinded intro, will I be able to add the Zen16 and have the same capabilities. Utilizing Rule machine will I be able to build similar rules to automate my home theater

What's UPB?

Universal Power Bus. The brand I was using was from Web Mountain (out of business since the pandemic). Control using Powerline. Like an updated X10. Similar to Insteon with out the RF

I'm not too familiar with the Zen 16, but our driver has various options for how the inputs control the relays.
We support the Denon AVR's via their ethernet interfaces, as long as it has an ethernet interface you can control volume, power and input selections.
You shouldn't have any issue using Rule Machine to replace your current automations.

Is the Denon volume control granular enough to set it to a defined level? Like I can send this command to the denon over IP (it is c escaped) MV41\x0D to set it to -39 for volume

the factory range maps from 1 to 100% in Hubitat
It's been granular enough for me with Onkyo and Rotel units...

1 Like

Hey I have been watching the Hubitat Live videos on youtube. I got the impression your not a fan of Zooz. Can you share what switches you like the best, zigbee or z wave.

To be fair, they have many products that are popular and that I like myself, they also have had one or two products that have literally crashed peoples networks...
So I tend to err on the side of caution with them based on past experience.

Switches are one thing, relays are another, which are you interested in?

2 Likes

Both, I will be buying quite a few replacement switches and relays to replace the older stuff I currently have.

I think most folks here (including me) have had good experiences with Zooz, aside from some of their "double" stuff (double plugs, double relays other than Z16/Z17).

Zooz has good customer support, open access to firmware updates (once you get it from their support), and it has really good support from community developers here within Hubitat.

I really like Inovelli switches too, but they are in a big rebuilding phase and don't have solid inventories of anything ATM.

I have Zooz Zen7x & Zen32 switches, a Zen51 relay, Zen17 relay, a couple Zen15 plugs, a couple Titans, and several sensors. All have been rock-solid for me.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences

Pretty much my whole house is different Zooz stuff. Including some of the feared devices (which mostly work fine if configured correctly). Originally had some issues with devices locking up occasionally but I believe it was mostly due to poor zwave chip firmware from Silicone Labs on the hub. Hubitat has since released updates and a new hub. Everything has been working smooth on the C-8. I hardly have to mess with anything anymore besides updates (which are optional).

I do have a few Zigbee plugs, mini relays, and sensors now as well due to low cost.

1 Like

And if you use Zooz device make sure to use @jtp10181 's drivers where available. They generally are more full featured than the system drivers. All available on HPM.

2 Likes

@user5536 Welcome to hubitat!!!! I have a zen16 and it works very very well as does the 17. Both can achieve what you want. Honestly the only zooz things to stay away from are the Zen-25 double plug, the older 4-in-1 sensor (because their implementation of s0 is so chatty). Pair everything without encryption (except door locks, they must use it) As to switches, I recommend Lutron Caseta. They're tanks. And you get to use Picos! They alone can be beneficial in a Home Theater setup.

Also since you're new, take a look at this post, it might help you avoid some gotchas...

So do I. Only oddness is that it has to be re-included after its firmware is updated.

There are a few devices like that. (my iblinds v3's for example)

Thank you for all the great information