Matter. Having issues adding a matter switch

I have a Meross matterplug that is setup in HomeKit and working. I go to the settings of the plug and copy the Matter setup code and add that to the Add a Matter device in Hubitat. It try’s to pair but I get the message that there is an issue and to check if the device is in pairing mode and it is.

Any insight on how to add this to Hubitat? Does the Hubitat machine need to be in the same room as the switch?

Is there a plug in for Meross and would that be better if I add it that way then have Hubitat add it to HomeKit via its integration?

Thanks in advance.

Are you getting the same error as Matter Add device stuck on " current stage: SendNOC " then " Pairing failed @ FindOperational with code 50 (Timeout) "?

No I don’t get that far. It seems to never find the device at all. I get the following message:

Looks like you’re having trouble pairing your device. Please check that the device is in pairing mode and is on the same LAN as the hub.

It is in pairing mode and on the same LAN.

Thanks

I have the same problem trying to add my new Evo Energy plug from Apple Home to my C8.

??? You don't need to have the device in pairing mode, you just copy the code and paste it into Hubitat. If you are putting it in pairing mode, it might not allow it to be shared into Hubitat. You only have to pair the device one time, that is the first time you pair with either Alexa, Google, or Apple Home.

Maybe that message isn't quite right and you are doing it the right way, but it isn't clear by your description of how you are trying to do things.

No, as long as the device successfully added to Google, Alexa, or Apple Home, you can have the devices as far apart as you want to. They don't even need to be in the same building as long as you have them all on your same network router. You could put the plug in a outbuilding, and as long as that building was connected to the same router as your Hubitat in the house, you would be fine.

You don’t put the device itself in pairing mode, you put the device in “Matter pairing mode” from within the Apple Home app (or Google Home, Alexa etc.)

From Hubitats instructions…

@ed16 The meross plugs are the worst. Even when you get them paired, they will eventually fall off the fabric... TAPO on the otherhand has been solid. I first started with them when HE was in beta using Homekit to onboard. They're just terrible.

Do we have a resolution on this? I am trying to add a Linkind color bulb (Matter) and I get the same message as @ed16 : "Looks like you’re having trouble pairing your device. Please check that the device is in pairing mode and is on the same LAN as the hub".

I am on the same LAN. 2.4 GHz.
I paired the bulb with the Aidot app to check that nothing was wrong with it - and it pairs. I have a C8 hub. The bulb is set up in Google Home, and I see it is linked to Google Home and Homekit. But when I enter the pairing code in Hubitat, the hub cant find the bulb. I moved closer to the hub. No luck.

After the a while, the linked Matter apps and services disappear in Google Home.

Are there known issues with pairing Matter devices? I am on version 2.3.119.

Thank you.

You need to use the Matter pairing code generated from Google Home, not the one that comes with the bulb.

@kkossev I did. But no luck.

See if this helps:

1.) In the Aidot app, see if there is a firmware update. If so, update the bulbs.
2.) Remove the bulb from everything (Aidot, Google Home, and Homekit). When doing Apple Home, make sure you remove the Matter device from iCloud Keychain. You basically want to start fresh.
3.) Start with Apple Home. Add the bulb to Apple Home.
4.) Next try to add the bulb to Hubitat (save Google for last) by generating a new pairing code from Apple Home.

I find that Apple Home tends to connect to Hubitat better than Google Home does (or at least with less problems). If you can get it connected that way, then add Google Home using a new code from Apple Home.

1 Like

Thank you. I updated the firmware and erased the bulbs from everything, including keychain (which I didnt know existed - so thank you).

Tried to add it on Homekit - and it says I need a Home Hub, which I dont have!

Apple has the same requirements as Google (which I responded to on the other thread). You need one of their Home Hubs (Set up your HomePod, HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad as a home hub - Apple Support).

1 Like

Excellent, thank you @JB10

Would you know if there's any plan for Hubitat's Hub to be able to support natively Matter (w/o another Home hub)?

Hubitat supports matter natively. What you are asking about is commissioning. The next version of the mobile app from what we can gather will have access to the apple/andoid blue tooth stack which will allow hubitat to commission directly.

3 Likes

Great. Thank you @rlithgow1.