Matter Consciot RGBTW

Can you return only one of these bulbs (that has the slightest chance to affect the WAF) paired via Matter directly to the HE hub for further tests?

1 Like

I've been reading the release notes waiting for this feature. I just checked. On the App, adding a new device seems that the instructions are saying to pair with Alexa/Google/Apple first.

Am I (as usual) missing something?

My plan is to move the matter bulbs to HE once adding devices is supported. If there is a beta, I'd be glad to participate.

I have probably misunderstood what you are doing... No, HE still can not act as a Matter commissioner. You still need to pair it first to Alexa/Google/Apple, etc... (I can add Zemismart M1 hub to the list).

So what was your last change? The bulbs are still paired to both Alexa and HE, but you are not controlling them from HE - using virtual switches to Alexa instead? But the bulbs are still paired to HE, although not used for control?

I have two versions of the piston.

First one was ...

wall switch on, turn on bulbs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8; set color, set level
wall switch off, turn off bulbs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

That is the one that drove up the hub actions crazy.

I was using this...

wall switch on, open virtual contact
wall switch off, close virtual contact

Before the last update, if I turned on/off the bulbs from HE, there was a ton of chatter. After the update, the events reported on/off only. So, I switched back to the first piston and it jammed up my hub. Now, I am back to the second piston.

Yes, the bulbs are paired in Alexa and (currently) only controlled from Alexa.

Check if, when using the stock HE Matter driver, setColor and setLevel do not also turn the bulb on... I think that you do not need the turn on commands.

1 Like

Well,

The bulbs are responding on Echo. I upgraded to 2.3.8.118 last night and now they do not respond or even receive updates on HE.

Queue full? I guess that I could clear it with a reboot, but I did the upgrade last night at 10:13 PM and nothing has been responding (from HE) or updating since the upgrade.

See those unknown App sources, that is because even with the piston paused, I was getting a ton of events. So, I deleted the piston. Still the events came piling in-- I assume from the queue, but that still does't explain why the queue would be full after an update/reboot.

That''s one of the big benefits of the Matter protocol.
One and the same Matter device can be controlled by different systems at the same time, so even if one of the systems fail, the others will still continue controlling it.

Yes, rebooting the HE hub should clear the queued commands to devices (this works not only for Matter, but also for Zigbee and Z-wave and LAN devices). @bcopeland can you confirm this assumption?

In your case, however - something is filling in the commands queue very quickly. I thought it might be your WebCoRE piston, but you are saying that it is disabled.

What remains is Alexa echoing the bulb level changes back to Hubitat. But the Echo integration should send Level updates, not commands!

Are you using the inbuilt "Amazon Echo Skill," and this Matter bulb is also exposed this way to Alexa ? Probably this may be causing the loop?

Yes… But @junk2 can you PM me your hub id?.. Queue full means something broke and I would like to see the engineering log so I can find the issue and fix it.

2 Likes

Will do...

Any word on when the Hubitat Hub will be have provisioning for Matter devices?

Yes

Nope. I made sure of this shortly after I added the bulbs.

After last night's reboot (6:47 PM -- less than 24 hours ago), HE is picking up the state changes from the bulbs. It appears that cleared the queue.

Look at the device logs...

I only have these bulbs included in ONE piston now. It is a device health check that runs once a day at 11:00 AM. No commands, no on/off, no level, just a status check.

The stats look good now...
What happens, if you manually start two pistons that simply send the setLevel(0) and setLevel(100) ?

Hub Actions stats should increase by one count for each single piston call.

1 Like

These are two other bulbs in a room that is barely used. On with motion sensor active. Off when inactive...

These are being controlled by a piston. But it is a really simple piston..

We have (maybe) gone in/out of that room a dozen times today.

setColorTemperature() and setLevel may be also sending on() command. So turning the bulb on may count for five Hub Actions, if the on/off switch state is not updated fast at the device matter driver.

Here is the simple piston...

Here are the events before running...

Device stats before...

Events after (ai carumba!)
firefox_FonQa1HPt6

Device stats after

Here are the device logs. I turned on debug for this bulb only.

And yep. The hub is operating at elevated after updimming and downdimming one bulb!

1 Like

It's all clear now - Matter multiple subscriptions ...

@bcopeland is aware, and hopefully, a fix in the HE platform will be available soon.
Until then, you can try this custom driver - it should mitigate the problem to a certain degree.

1 Like

Can you tell me how you came to that conclusion? I'm not questioning the conclusion; I would just like to learn.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

This has been discussed in the Beta group.

In the WebCoRE pistons is there a way to specify the setLevel transition time? ( I haven't used it in the past 2 years, except for the Graphs...)

If yes, set it to zero.

Yes, it does.

So, I had a really interesting thing happen yesterday. Echo dropped several of the bulbs. I don't know why. But I could still control them from HE! As an experiment, I deleted another bulb that hadn't dropped. I could still control it from HE.

Now, I need to see how chatty these things are when a bulb is only on HE and not on Echo. I can share from HE to Echo for voice commands, but I am suspecting that this will be much easier and hopefully won't fill my queue and freeze my hub.

I'm hadn't really though about this. But my assumption is that item joined through the other device are still on the network. My original assumption was that they were talking to an Echo device and then the network.

Live and learn.

1 Like

This is how Matter should work.
Once commissioned, the Matter devices will still work with all Matter controllers

• if the bulb uses WiFi, the communication is direct to the HE hub
  • if the bulb uses Thread, the communication should be switched to another TBR of the same Thread Network ( another Echo device w/ Thread radio as example).

This allows us to build what I call 'High Availability' Matter automation.

The chattiness should not depend on how many Matter Controllers you have the device paired to.

It depends on how the manufacturer (I mean the company that developed/engineered the product) has interpreted and implemented the Matter standards.

Is Leedarson a white label of a Chinese manufacturer?
Update: yes, it is.
The chatty behavior is typical for IoT products designed in China, like Tuya, 'Third Reality,' etc.

1 Like

Yes and no. Remember we were seeing double reports from the bulbs before. I'll do some more testing this weekend, but it appears that, that is no longer happening which (in an odd way) makes sense.

1 Like