Matter and Switchbot

I just paired my Switchbot Hub to HE with matter. That creates a HE device. So far I haven't found a way to create the child devices - blind/tilts and outdoor meter for me. Are blind/tilts even specified in the version of matter?

I also have the Switchbot hub connected via the community Switchbot integration and it seems to coexist so all my current automatons should work.

My understanding is this is because...

I think devices have to be brought in individually, not via another hub. At least at this time. I am not sure sharing hubs via Matter is in the works, but for now it does not as far as I am aware.

I'm probably confused. I have two 'groups' of blinds/tilt defined in Switchbot's app/hub as matter devices. Homekit see's these two groups as individual blind tilts and they open and close from Apple Home. I think I should be able to control those two blinds from hubitat too - assuming I can find the device and driver.

Just to complicate things even more, the switchbot hub also has builtin temp and humidity sensors that should be available as a device(s).

I don't have a switchbot hub, but do these devices have a Matter pairing code in each device? It sounds like you are trying to import the whole hub (hub to hub integration) and that won't work. You must bring in one device into Hubitat at at time.

Screenshots of what you are doing would be helpful to everyone, or at the very least could you explain the steps you are taking, in detail, to share these devices?

Matter is still pretty new to most/all of us, so walking through the steps together will probably benefit everyone.

I haven't found that 11 digit code in the Switchbot app/hub but I haven't looked exhaustively.

The hub paired on HE with the 11 digit code from Homekit pairing. There is nothing to show but success with that - except maybe it shouldn't do that if it can't use it.

As a matter hub, Switchbot is very limiting for example I have more than 9 of the blind tilts but they will only support 6 matter devices. They are also slow at updating their phone App and their hubs firmware. I haven't spent anytime on their forums so I can't comment but that's where I should go. Fortunately, Switchbot via matter is low priority. Interesting but low priority.

So if they are Matter, could you pair them to Alexa, Google, or Homekit and then bring them into Hubitat? Not sure if you can just bypass using the Switchbot hub completely, but with those weird and strict limitations, I would consider other methods.

Not true… You can bring bridges over.. We don’t have any bridge drivers yet..

3 Likes

The switchbot blind/tilts and sensor work fine with @tomw Hubitat community drivers.

They devices are bluetooth, I believe , so that makes the Switchbot hub interesting if it can do BT to matter - and it can for Homekit. Their hub is also supposed to do IR so that would be interesting as a possible Harmony replacement.

You can bring bridges over.. We don’t have any bridge drivers yet..

That is the explanation we needed.

1 Like

I apologize for not being complete, I should have added that qualifier.

Could you please clarify, if you do bring the hub over, as I understand it, Hubitat currently doesn't see the individual devices. There will be a bridge/hub driver that brings in everything? That likely will happen in a future release?

5 Likes

I'm also hoping that Hubitat will release bridge drivers sooner rather than later. Both SwitchBot and Aqara have matter compatible hubs that act as bridges
and expose, at least some of, their devices through Matter.

In addition, the YoLink Hub 3 that will act as a Matter bridge for their devices is expected in the near future. I believe YoLink devices would be very beneficial to the Hubitat ecosystem as they are based on the LoRa wireless standard that has an open-air range of up to 1/4 mile.

My $.02

If there is any update on the availability of bridge drives I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

2 Likes

There is a community/custom project, but it is still at a development stage, having a limited number of devices supported via Matter Bridge.

If you are willing to participate in the alpha-tests using your M2 hub, please send me a DM.

2 Likes

Do they support the pet feeder as bridged accessory?

1 Like

Whatever works for the 'other platform', should work in Hubitat also (sooner or later)!

2024/02/07 status

Aqara E1 Hub as Matter Bridge

Device Type Status Remarks
Temperature Sensor working OK - tested Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor T1, Aqara TVOC sensor
Humidity Sensor working OK - tested Aqara Temperature and Humidity Sensor T1, Aqara TVOC sensor
Plugs - On/Off working OK - tested Aqara Smart Plug EU
Motion Sensors working OK - tested Aqara P1 Motion Sensor
Vibration Sensors working OK - tested Aqara Vibration Sensor (as motion sensor)
Bulbs - On/Off working OK - tested Aqara LED Strip T1
Bulbs - level control working OK - tested Aqara LED Strip T1
Bulbs - CT control working OK - tested Aqara LED Strip T1
Aqara LED Strip T1 OK (partially implemented) Aqara LED Strip T
Thermostats OK (partially implemented) Aqara thermostat E1 (TRV) - TODO
Aqara Cube T1 Pro OK (exposed as 6 x OnOff) Aqara Cube T1 Pro
:--------------------- :-------------------------: --------------------------------------:
Bulbs - color control TODO (not implemented yet) not implemented
Wireless Remote Switch TODO (not implemented yet) Aqara Double Rocker H1 - CRASHES!
Wireless button TODO (not implemented yet) Xiaomi/Lumi - CRASHES!
Wired Remote Switch TODO (not implemented yet) not imlemented
:------------------- :--------------------------: -------------------------------------:
Presence sensor FP1 NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara FP1
Presence sensor FP2 NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara FP2
Door and Window Sensor NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara Door and Window Sensor, old and T1
PM 2.5 NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara TVOC sensor
Atmosheric pressure NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara TVOC sensor
Light Detector T1 NOT working (not exposed via Matter) not tested
Illuminance Sensor NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Xiaomi(Lumi) Light Sensor
Smoke Detector NOT working (not exposed via Matter) Aqara Smart Smoke Detector
:------------------- :--------------------------: -------------------------------------:
Aqara Leak Sensor Unknown not tested / not implemented
Aqara Door Lock Unknown not tested / not implemented
Aqara Dimmers Unknown not tested / not implemented
Smart Natural Gas Detector Unknown not tested / not implemented
Curtain Controllers Unknown not tested / not implemented
Smart Pet Feeder Unknown not tested / not implemented
2 Likes

Thanks for the offer @kkossev. Unfortunately, my C-8 is an integral part of my smart home. Testing alpha software on it would be in violation of the "wife acceptance factor" rules that I have to operate under. If I had another Hubitat hub I would gladly take you up on the offer and help out. Thanks again.

3 Likes

I am also very careful with my 'production' main C-8 hub which runs all the automations in my house (excluding the LAN integrations, that run on the old C-7 hub, together with some spammy Zigbee devices).

No WAF failures in the last several years! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don't have yet SwitchBot Hub 2 (Matter capable) but I will by one
but only if Curtains will be supported. My current integration is done
via Home Assistant (all controls are 100% local). It works very well
but I think more native support should/could be better.

1 Like