Marvin Windows - Smart Technology

Curious if anyone has taken a look at this in more detail, or installed this? Will it work with Hubitat? While the nerd in me would love this on my upcoming window replacement strategy, my thought is how this would get to be dated technology in 15-20 years.

Not much to go on in the product page description.

Do they have any specs documents on the site?

Yeah, site is Sparse on details, but it Looks like it might just provide a dry contact to hook into any system/transmitter.

1 Like

Yea, i don't see much, just that it is an 'open communiation platform', and will work 'with all hubs'. Curious if the windows also have a wireless option, and if so how will the battery need to be changed. I sent them a note asking if zigbee/zwave.

That would provide the greatest flexibility at least.

1 Like

I agree, I wish Marvin had this option when I put my windows in. I love the thought of knowing the door is locked (as opposed to just closed) I have not embraced HA door locks. I have thought about what it would take to sense the deadbolt location in my door frame(s).

I'm also there. Love smart home tech, but not there yet controlling physical access (i.e. door locks, garage doors). I know my personal opinion/preference, many others are comfortable with it.

Also, my first reply from Marvin was as expected, commenting on the need for magnet based sensors. I had to follow up with better understanding the framework/transmission tech used. I'm sure the normal 'contact us' form questions aren't asking about technology.

Maybe keep asking til they forward some technical documents or escalate to someone that can speak to those details?

Yup. I'm being patient in my responses. :slight_smile:

Per Marvin R&D: 'Marvin supplies the sensor that detects the location and operation of our sash/panels but we do not supply the wireless transmitter that connects it with wireless smart home hubs. They would need to connect our sensor to a wireless, third-party, transmitter that “speaks” to the hub through Z-Wave or Zigbee. The windows/doors come immediately ready to hardwire directly to our sensors if the customer wants to do that type of connection instead.'

Suggestions on how to connect the sensor to a transmitter?

I'm curious, from the Marvin graphic on the above link, it looks like the sensor can actually tell if the sash lock is engaged. If this is the case, I wonder how they get the wires out to the frame.

The video shows how they do it, however it's still a bit light in description/details.

Great, just great. How am I going to explain a $15,000.00 home automation purchase to my wife?

I think you forgot to add the cost of the divorce lawyer....

1 Like

You’d be very fortunate to get new windows and doors for that price! We replaced our doors and Windows 4 years ago at over 3x that price. :joy:

Many window and door manufacturers are making their products “security” ready meaning they have wires run within their product to hook up to alarm systems. This is because drilling through window sash, etc typically voids the warranty. It will be a matter of connecting the two wires to a security panel or in HA case a contact sensor with external contacts.

I understand, however unless I don't understand the photo/graphic on their website, the product shown is a double sash window. Both the top and bottom sashed (can) move. Sliding metal contacts seem unlikely put possible.

For anyone that comes here looking for answers about Marvin windows and doors, check out my info dump here. Hopefully this is helpful!

1 Like

Funny, my Marvin windows were delivered yesterday, and are sitting in my garage for install next week! Frustration on figuring this out, our install vendor really knowing nothing about the feature led us not to order them with this smart feature, but I appreciate your write-up on the details/experience you had with them!

Many gory details can be found in this document. If you look at page 10 covering Double-Hung windows, they explain the double magnet mechanism. I'm going to be installing a set of these come spring and am trying to research now. Thanks to @cameronmcefee for his info dump. I'm planning on going down the same Z-Wave path.

hxxps://www3.marvin.com/WebDoc/Marvin%20Lock%20Status%20Sensor%20Integration%20Instructions_Home%20Automation_19915804.pdf

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.