Making Osram mini switch pair and work

Hey everyone! New user here. I didn't find this issue discussed in the forums, so here goes. I really like the look of the Osram Smart+ mini switch (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-Smart-Mini-Switch-Wireless/dp/B074PZKX4G). But I can't pair it because it's not officially Hubitat compatible.
Is there a way to make it work though? Without the need to buy additional hubs. Or is this a lost cause?

I just got 3 of these and they pair and work fine but only the two outer buttons are really usable. The button in the middle does send a button event but it also appears to send a broadcast to turn on all of my Lightify plugs. I suppose you could use it for something else if you don't have any devices that are affected by this default behavior. There's more information in another thread (but Discourse doesn't allow me to post a link)

I was able to pair them by holding down the center and top button for a few seconds. The light should blink blue. If it lights up green and doesn't pair, hold the center and bottom button to reset the device, then try pairing again.

Mine refuses to pair :thinking:
I'm holding the large arrow and the middle button for several seconds until a green light flashes. I also try resetting it as you described and try to pair again. Nothing.

I also couldn't pair one of the GU10 Zigbee bulbs I bought, so maybe Zigbee is just not very reliable?

I only figured this out by trial and error so I'm not sure if it's really correct. What I observed is that it won't pair when the light is green, it has to be blue. I thought I reset this with center+bottom button (also keep pressed for several seconds until something happens) but I also tried top+bottom at first. This is shown in the manual for pairing with compatible bulbs. Maybe first top+bottom, then center+bottom will reset it properly? It took a few attempts with these 3 combinations to get the first remote to pair. The other 2 worked right away with center+top.

BTW, one of my 3 remotes now has a dead battery, the other two still show 100%. I don't know if it's broken, if the battery was bad from the start or if a messed up pairing caused this. I'll have to do some more experiments once I get replacement batteries. I noticed that this remote is now listed in the routing table as being routed through a far-away plug (which doesn't make any sense because it was sitting close to the hub on the desk all the time). This could have caused the problem or be a side-effect.

OMG I can't believe it, it worked. I was ready to give up on this or give away the switch when it suddenly paired. Turns out, I had to actually press and hold the up and center buttons for whole 10 seconds...
Thanks @szeiger!
Now I need to figure out which numbers the buttons are assigned to.

1 Like

If you were able to pair it successfully, try opening up a live log window and push each button. You should see which # is which in the logs.

1 Like

I replaced the battery a few days ago and the remote is working fine (without having to re-pair) with the batteries in all 3 remotes reporting 100%. It probably was just a bad battery.

A picture is sometimes worth a thousand words. :slight_smile:

This has the button numbers and the pairing/reset combos. It worked perfectly for me. Only problem I had with this switch is the battery, lasted only 6-7 months, let's see with the new one...

(source: OSRAM issues with Broadcast Messages and all lights · Issue #962 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub)

1 Like

I didn't get my Osram Mini Switches working correctly so I searched the net a bit and found half-working driver. Modified it a little and now it's working great. All three buttons can be configured with "pushed" and/or "held" states.

Here is the driver code in bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/keints/osram-lightify-mini-switch-hubitat-driver/src/master/osram-lightify-mini-switch-driver.groovy

I hope it's helpful for someone.

2 Likes

Splendid

Hello all,
My OSRAM Switch mini is working well, but I can't pair a second one, it thinks it is the one already paired. How to tell hubitat it is not the same one ?

Thanks