Zigbee Water Valve Controller Issue

Which driver do you use with this button?

Observe whether pressing this button also switches the valve on or off.

Using this DC powered valve as a router/repeater is normal.

Using this one

The driver is OK, but the button itself may not have paired correctly on the first try.

Was the valve turning on/off at the same time when you were adding the new Aqara button?

For now, just don’t use the button.

I will be away from home in the next 4 days, but I will be after this issue when I am back.

I'm not 100% sure but this all started happening when I was adding these new Aqara devices.

Will do.

Thanks.

1 Like

Just for further info....I'd be tempted to pull the DC power brick and observe if the resulting behavior & logs look JUST LIKE what you are observing.

1 Like

The open [physical] and closed [physical] events are several minutes apart… so it doesn’t look like an initialisation sequence when the power supply is switched off and then on. But it is worth to try, as the different valve models behave differently.

The driver registers a [physical] event if an open/closed message is received without sending an open or close command from the driver a few seconds before.

I can think of two possible reasons for the unexpected open/close events:

• physical button malfunction
  • Zigbee Group Messaging - on/off commands broadcasted by another device when it joins the same Zigbee network. Here the questions are what Zigbee Group number are these broadcasts (what’s special with group #0 ?) , why this group is enabled by default and how to prevent this from happening.

There were similar cases registered in GitHub with ZHA or Z2M Zigbee networks, I will try to find the info some later tonight. What I remember is that the workaround was to add the actuators in a random number Zigbee group.

2 Likes

I believe I have found the culprit of this issue.

Aside from the Aqara mini button that I was testing, I was also playing around with the new Aqara Cube T1 Pro using the Zigbee - Aqara Cube driver from oh-lalabs.com.

As I was testing it near the Hubitat hub which happens to be located near the water valve controller, every time I shake the Cube T1 Pro, the water valve controller will switch on and off.
It appears that the valve controller is reacting to the Cube Pro. The weird thing is that even when I removed the Cube from Hubitat, it was still able to control the valve controller.

Another thing I've noticed is that there are 2 "Unknown" dots which I suspect are the Cube that was added and removed twice. How do I get rid of those dots? Do I need to rebuild the Zigbee network?

1 Like

So it is definitely Zigbee Groups broadcasts, sent by the improperly initialised Aqara Cube Pro. This device didn’t exist at the time Markus wrote the driver for the older model Aqara cube, Note, that the Aqara T1 Cube and Aqara T1 Pro cube are two different devices and there is still no Hubitat driver available for the Pro model.

Similar Zigbee Groups On/Off broadcasts can be sent by improperly initialised Aqara Double Rocker switches and from OSRAM mini remotes. Also from Ikea remotes.

4 Likes

Ah ha! I will stop using the T1pro then.
Btw, do I need to rebuild the network manually or will it heal itself over time?

You can Rebuild the Zigbee network, I have do it several times without any harm.

1 Like

Good work gentlemen.

So to me this was beyond the average bear's expected cause & effect, ...and being interested in Hubitat making up for the inadequacies of both new users and new/errant devices....what could be put in place in an ADVISORY capacity to flag the "improperly initialized" (or maybe just not let anything improperly initialize) ....or is it all up to the Custom Driver writer to supervise (and if so is there a 'best practice' section of code to be included in all drivers for such) ? [He naively asks]

@mike.maxwell ?

1 Like

Just a quick reply - here we have the same issue with the Aqara T1 Cube Pro as with Making Osram mini switch pair and work - #8 by alexdelprete
The OSRAM mini switch initialisation is handled perfectly by HE inbuilt driver.

The second problem is that some Tuya devices by default enable the Zigbee Group 0000, which is normally used for controlling lights (not valves!)

1 Like

@mike.maxwell do you have any hints on how to disable Zigbee actuators to accept OnOff cluster broadcasts?

This is what Aqara T1 Cube Pro (0xC8AC) broadcasts to the Zigbee network when shaken...

To clarify, the question is not why the Aqara T1 Cube Pro is sending this OnOff cluster command broadcast, but whether there is a way to 'immunize' other Zigbee devices from accepting this broadcast command.

1 Like

not that I'm aware of...

3 Likes

Yeah, this sounds like what happened with the Inovelli Blue when it first released for me and many other users... The Blue was turning on/off all sorts of other unrelated zigbee devices. Inovelli fixed that glitch via firmware, so my guess this is on Aqara to fix for the cube.

3 Likes

@Bruce123 a custom driver for the new Aqara Cube T1 Pro is now available for testing. Works on C-7 and C-5 hubs for now.

1 Like

Thank you for your great work. Unfortunately, I'm currently using the C-8 hub. However, I will still try to see if I can get it to pair with the C-8 hub again.

@kkossev

An update on testing the T1 Cube Pro on the C-8 with the new driver.

I was able to pair the cube to the C-8 hub but I needed to be very close to it in order for the pairing to work.

I managed to create an RM to test out my family room light using Shake to toggle on/off and Rotate Left to dim down and Rotate Right to brighten up. I'm happy to say that it worked flawlessly.

I will continue to test the rest of the actions.

Thank you so much for your great work.

1 Like

I've added button events simulation - it is much easier to use HE Button Controller.
Thank you for the update on the C-8 paring!

1 Like