Maker API remote Access

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to set up a hubitat and I decided to download the Maker API app to use as my dashboard on my phone. I have enabled the access remote / cloud option on the Maker API app in hubitat but when I am not on the network the actions I take fail to go through. When I am on my local network I am able to lock and unlock my doors perfectly fine. Are there any other settings I am missing other than enabling that remote access on the Maker API app?

Similar to the Dashboard, there is a local and a cloud end point for Maker API. To use the cloud endpoint make sure you use the Cloud URL:

https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/eb4f7-cedc-44f1-892c/apps/yourMakerApp/devices/[Device ID]?access_token=141a1-1fb4-48e2-922a

3 Likes

Sorry I am new to all of this. I am unsure where to put these URLs the Maker API spits out.

It would be best to pose that question to the developer of the dashboard app you are using on your phone.

1 Like

So you are saying these links get inputed in the dashboard app itself on the phone???

Most likely, but it is impossible to say without knowing which dashboard app you are using. There are several. Suffice it to note that the Hubitat mobile app does not need any of this, so you are apparently using an app from a community developer.

Think of MakerAPI as the middleman, it has the hub at one end and on the other needs an app or some other piece of semi-intelligent software.

2 Likes

So maybe I am confused, but are you using the built-in Hubitat dashboard (and phone app), or a 3rd party one?

I downloaded the Maker API app because when I went to use the default hubitat elevation phone app i was having trouble setting up the desktop screen. I can go back to using, it just seemed very confusing to me. since the dashboard is a blank white screen with no options and there are no mentions on the app where to add things to it.

Did you read:

3 Likes

You don't need Maker API for the stock dashboard.

Dashboards in Hubitat work different than with other hubs. You have the option of what devices to add to a dashboard, and if you even want a dashboard at all.

That link above that thebearmay posted should help. You may also want to watch these videos.

2 Likes

I went through these videos and set up the dashboard. it is a simple one since the only thing I have on it is my thermostat and locks. I still cannot get the phone hubitat app to populate the dashboard page after saving, its just a blank white screen.

I know this is a powerful software, but setting it up has not been intuitive which is why I tried the Maker API since it had a dashboard already built in. My main goal is just to be able to open and close my locks while I am remote.

1 Like

Maker API is not the dashboard app, it allows for apps outside of Hubitat to issue commands and retrieve information about devices . Some of the apps that allow you to build dashboards that use Maker API in this way include the Android dashboard app and HubiVue.

With the built in dashboard you have tried to setup, when you say you are seeing a blank screen, is that on the dashboard tab of the Hubitat mobile app? I e. Do you select the dashboard and then see a blank page or just see a blank page when you tap the dashboard tab?

1 Like

I am using an android, the dashboard screen is just blank white. there is a geofence tab, a ligths tab, a tools tab and settings tab. I can go into the tools tab and connect to my hub that way and it opens up a browser version where i can get to the dashboard. But that isnt really integrated with the app and is more on the admin side of things which I know requires a subscription to use remotely.

I am under the assumption that I am missing a step to populate that dashboard screen and when It is then I should be able to control the devices from my phone which i have set up via my browser.

Not sure of this could be part of it, but are you using hub security?

I do not believe I am.

I bought a house and the previous owners left the hub and their smart equipment behind. there is no security aspect to the hub from what I can tell.

I'm not sure then what may be causing your issue... Hopefully someone else can chime in with some other suggestions...

So normally the dashboards created should populate on that first tab of the phone app?

That's right. As long as, on the Settings tab, you are logged into the HE hub where the dashboard was created. The hub you are logged into is next to the Hub entry on the Settings tab.

1 Like

Yes, the dashboards auto-populate on that screen once you create them. You have to go through the steps of creating them in the apps section of the web interface or phone app first though. (Following the directions posted above: Maker API remote Access - #10 by thebearmay )

1 Like