LUX Meter recommendations

I'm considering adding lux-based motion rules. Does anyone have a particular lux meter they recommend? I see they run the he gammit from really cheap to expensive.
This is the one I'm considering

Summary

This text will be hidden

I have a hard time rationalizing spending large sums for a device I'll likely only use a few times. I do dabble in photography a bit, so I might be able to put it to use in that area as well. Any thoughts or suggestions? Suggestions for Motion sensors with LUX would also be appreciated.

Hue outdoor sensor. Then just watch what you want to do when and note the reading on the sensor and use in rule. No real need for a fancy sensor unit

2 Likes

I've been thinking of those. Do they need the Hue hub? or will they pair direct? If the hub is required, will it work with POE?

Pair right with hubitat

1 Like

@lcw731 Though my Tempest has a fantastic LUX sensor on it

1 Like

I am in the market for a new weather station. My current one has been stuck at 78 degrees for a week. I Wish!! N. Texas is melting! I have been kind of headed down the Ecowitt road, but the Tempest has also been on my radar. Just harder to get it past the Finance Department (a.k.a my wife).

My recent dimmer project scored serious WAF points. Today was the first time she proactively said she was happy with the HA and requested more.

4 Likes

The tempest also directly integrates with Rachio as well

I got that email last week. Look like it's going to be a premium feature. The email said 1 year included. I love that Rachio. Paid for itself the first year.

As @rlithgow1 says, I agree! Hue motion or "lux" sensor is the best at detecting, but you have to wait for the polling of the Hue bridge OR hook it directly to the Hubitat - which people on here (I've read a LOT) have said is not exactly reliable. IF it is, please correct me...
I love the Aeotec Multisensor 6's! I have three on my network and they are FAST - however, you can''t control the speed of reporting - even when on USB power. Using solutions other than Hubitat I can set the parameter controlling how often the Aeotec Multisensor 6 reports changes, but I can't see the parameter for it here. Maybe cos it uses the AEON driver, and not an Aeotec one. I don't know.

For instance the wording @habitat used was

Hue Motion Sensors on HE C7 - not a good choice and only really viable if you need direct Motion Sensing which does work OK but the temp reporting does not.

I'm assuming you are using HE C7 since it's been out for ~2 yrs.

Again, if I'm wrong in your assessment, @habitat, please tell me...cos I have two of these brand new and would LOVE TO USE THEM cos I want faster Lux sensing - but am wary of using the "CoCo" Hue plugin cos I've got like 30 HUE sensors all renamed in Hubitat's "Built-In Hue Bridge Integration" already and I do NOT wanna go through that process again, much less delete and recreate all my Rule Machine rules!

Jann

1 Like

I'm also looking for recommendations for actual meters to use in helping me decide what lux values I want to use to set the rules up (sometimes I just get bored with the trial and error process). But I also can't see spending north of $100 for a meter I'll really only use a few times. I can swallow that $20 - $35 a lot easier for the task!

Nope, free for life. Oh and you don't have to buy it from rachio to get the integration code.

1 Like

WOW! That's GREAT!

You are corrected.... Works beautifully connected directly to hubitat... Has always been reliable on my mesh and have never seen a bad thing about it. I used to hook it up to my hue bridge just to get the firmware updates but now that they're included directly in hubitat I don't have to do that anymore (for that sensor anyway).

4 Likes

@rlithgow1 Great! I'll do that with my two out-of-the-box new ones! I'd been WAITING to use these! Now I can put it in my Guest Bathroom.

I currently have a Aeotec Multisensor 6 in there plugged in - to sense when the lux goes above/below 25 in order to turn on the Z-Wave ceiling fan. (The lights are regular. Husband won't let me put Hue in the fixture and rewire the switch for a BATHROOM). So I use a light sensor and the fan turns on.

I've tried motion sensors, but in bathrooms people sit down for extended periods of time and motion sensors time out. So ... anyway. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@rlithgow1 PS: Do I need to use another built-in-app-integration app or just zigbee pair it?

1 Like

Just zigbee pair it. It will use the Hue Motion Sensor driver.

3 Likes

Done. We'll see. I thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for sending me down the hue rabbit hole! You're gonna cost me those bonus WAF points I earned this morning!

3 Likes

The ONE,The ONLY, Phillips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor. This thing is about as perfect as it gets. Lux, motion (that doesn't get screwed up by temperature changes, or breezes, or by looking at it funny), and temperature.

3 Likes

It does feel like we could also start a very active spin-off Community of Hubitat partners who could have very different conversations.... I expect the Lounge would be a popular category.... :slight_smile:

2 Likes